RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Tom Williams 15 Nov 22:43
  Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Rick Strong 15 Nov 23:19
   Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Tom Williams 15 Nov 23:48
    Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Rick Strong 16 Nov 02:38
  Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Simon Budig 16 Nov 08:44
   Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Rick Strong 16 Nov 13:48
   Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Tom Williams 19 Nov 04:27
    Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Rick Strong 19 Nov 13:55
    Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Tom Williams 30 Nov 15:30
     Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work Rick Strong 30 Nov 16:30
Tom Williams
2016-11-15 22:43:09 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I'm helping a friend of mine create a business card for a new business. I created the card in GIMP and it looks great! The plan is to order cards through VistaPrint. Anyway, according to the VistaPrint website, they recommend uploading designs in a CMYK mode. Since I created my card in GIMP, it's in RGB mode.

Would it be safe to convert my image from RGB to CMYK, using ImageMagick for example, or should I recreate it using a different tool, like Scribus? I'm a Linux user. Alternatively, I could send the image to a friend who has PhotoShop and have her convert the image to CYMK mode for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

/When we dance, you have a way with me,
Stay with me... Sway with me.../
Rick Strong
2016-11-15 23:19:27 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Try the free online converter:
RGB2CMYK.org

http://www.rgb2cmyk.org/

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Williams
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:43 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work

I'm helping a friend of mine create a business card for a new business. I created the card in GIMP and it looks great! The plan is to order cards through VistaPrint. Anyway, according to the VistaPrint website, they recommend uploading designs in a CMYK mode. Since I created my card in GIMP, it's in RGB mode.

Would it be safe to convert my image from RGB to CMYK, using ImageMagick for example, or should I recreate it using a different tool, like Scribus? I'm a Linux user. Alternatively, I could send the image to a friend who has PhotoShop and have her convert the image to CYMK mode for me.

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Tom Williams
2016-11-15 23:48:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 11/15/2016 03:19 PM, Rick Strong wrote:

Try the free online converter:
RGB2CMYK.org

Rick S.

Thanks for the link. Would this service do a better conversion than ImageMagick?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Williams Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:43 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Rick Strong
2016-11-16 02:38:49 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I dont know.
But RGB2CMYK is a hell of a lot easier to use and for that reason it will probably work better. Just upload your file and its done.

Im a graphic designer/photographer not a geek (not any more, anyway). I like things that work right out of the box and this online conversion worked for me.

Rick S.

From: Tom Williams Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:48 PM To: Rick Strong ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work

On 11/15/2016 03:19 PM, Rick Strong wrote:

Try the free online converter: RGB2CMYK.org

Rick S.

Thanks for the link. Would this service do a better conversion than ImageMagick?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Williams Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:43 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

When we dance, you have a way with me,
Stay with me... Sway with me...
Simon Budig
2016-11-16 08:44:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Tom Williams (tomdkat@comcast.net) wrote:

I'd recommend to not fiddle with it now. Vistaprint will do their own conversion, which is likely to be better than your conversion, since they do know their own processes.

In fact I had lots of "fun" some time ago, where I absolutely sent them a CMYK PDF file and they still fiddled with it, adding a little bit of black to my vibrant yellow, resulting in quite dull colors...

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Rick Strong
2016-11-16 13:48:52 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Good-Fast-Cheap
Pick any two.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Simon Budig
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:44 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question about RGB to CMYK conversion and print work

I'd recommend to not fiddle with it now. Vistaprint will do their own conversion, which is likely to be better than your conversion, since they do know their own processes.

In fact I had lots of "fun" some time ago, where I absolutely sent them a CMYK PDF file and they still fiddled with it, adding a little bit of black to my vibrant yellow, resulting in quite dull colors...

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Tom Williams
2016-11-19 04:27:15 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 11/16/2016 12:44 AM, Simon Budig wrote:

Bye, Simon

Thanks to both you, Simon, and Rick Strong for your comments. I opted to "roll the bones" with the RGB PNG I created, using the VistaPrint template, and the site seemed happy with the resolution of the image. The previews on the site looked good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the image prints well.

Thanks again!

Tom

Rick Strong
2016-11-19 13:55:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Let us know how it works out, Tom. Good luck,
Rick S.

Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 11:27 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

Thanks to both you, Simon, and Rick Strong for your comments. I opted to "roll the bones" with the RGB PNG I created, using the VistaPrint template, and the site seemed happy with the resolution of the image. The previews on the site looked good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the image prints well.

Thanks again!

Tom

Tom Williams
2016-11-30 15:30:36 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 11/18/2016 08:27 PM, Tom Williams wrote:

On 11/16/2016 12:44 AM, Simon Budig wrote:

Bye, Simon

Thanks again!

Tom

Well, the business cards have been printed and they look fan-flippin-tastic!!!! They actually came out much, much better than I expected and my friend *loves* them! Thanks again for the help and Thanks to the GIMP developers for producing such awesome software! :)

Peace...

Tom

Rick Strong
2016-11-30 16:30:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Hey, another win for the home team, however you did it!

Rick S.

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:30 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

Well, the business cards have been printed and they look fan-flippin-tastic!!!! They actually came out much, much better than I expected and my friend *loves* them! Thanks again for the help and Thanks to the GIMP developers for producing such awesome software! :)

Peace...

Tom