RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cannot open PSD -CMYK setting

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cannot open PSD -CMYK setting Aneri 12 Nov 10:42
  Cannot open PSD -CMYK setting rich2005 12 Nov 17:16
   Cannot open PSD -CMYK setting Tom Williams 14 Nov 22:10
    Cannot open PSD -CMYK setting rich2005 15 Nov 08:47
   Cannot open PSD -CMYK setting Rick Strong 15 Nov 22:02
2016-11-12 10:42:46 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hello,

I am trying to open a PSD in GIMP. Although I am aware that not all layers of a PSD might open in this case the whole psd is not opening due to some CMYK setting error.

Check attachement for the same.

Is there any workaround to open these kinds of PSDs?

Thanks

rich2005
2016-11-12 17:16:22 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Hello,

I am trying to open a PSD in GIMP. Although I am aware that not all layers of a PSD might open in this case the whole psd is not opening due to some CMYK setting error.

Thanks

Gimp is a RGB raster editor and is not the best tool for creating a suitable file from a PS CMYK template.

The CMYK file needs to be converted to RGB first.

The freeware Imagemagick will this. However it is **command line** so be prepared to use a terminal.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php

Using Windows the command will be

magick "file name with spaces.psd" card.png

That might give several files which can be opened in Gimp using File -> Open As Layers

Guessing lots of instructions as the screenshot.

If you can get that far, then come back with more information on the format the printer requires.

rich : www.gimp-forum.net

Tom Williams
2016-11-14 22:10:48 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 11/12/2016 09:16 AM, rich2005 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

Gimp is a RGB raster editor and is not the best tool for creating a suitable file from a PS CMYK template.

The freeware Imagemagick will this. However it is **command line** so be prepared to use a terminal.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php

Using Windows the command will be

magick "file name with spaces.psd" card.png

That might give several files which can be opened in Gimp using File -> Open As Layers

I had this issue yesterday and found by converting the PSD file to a TIFF file, the layers were preserved in a single file. Here is the command line I used on Linux:

$ convert Business_Card.psd -colorspace rgb Business_Card.tiff

I'm helping a friend create a business card and downloaded a PhotoShop template from VistaPrint.com. I couldn't open the PSD file, due to it having a CMYK colormode, but after running the above command, I was able to open the TIFF file and three layers were preserved.

Peace...

Tom

/When we dance, you have a way with me,
Stay with me... Sway with me.../
rich2005
2016-11-15 08:47:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I had this issue yesterday and found by converting the PSD file to a TIFF file, the layers were preserved in a single file. Here is the command line I used on Linux:

$ convert Business_Card.psd -colorspace rgb Business_Card.tiff

...snip...

All sorts of ways.

Just a note for ***Windows*** users.

As of ImageMagick (IM) version 7 the 'convert' command becomes the 'magick' command.

This is to prevent a conflict with an existing Windows 'convert' command.

It is documented at the bottom of the IM download page.

...but who ever gets down that far...

rich : www.gimp-forum.net

Rick Strong
2016-11-15 22:02:18 UTC (over 7 years ago)

You might give this online convertor a try: http://www.cmyk2rgb.com/

"WELCOME TO THE ONLINE CMYK TO RGB CONVERTER With this free online tool you can convert images from CMYK to RGB color space using a professional color profile."

You upload a file, JPG, TIFF, PNG, BMP, they convert it and send it back to you--free. Maximum file size: 10MB

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: rich2005
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 12:16 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Cannot open PSD -CMYK setting

Hello,

Thanks