RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

resolution

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

resolution Hija de la madre patria 11 Nov 07:51
  resolution Rick Strong 11 Nov 14:40
   resolution Greg Chapman 12 Nov 17:07
Hija de la madre patria
2016-11-11 07:51:19 UTC (over 7 years ago)

resolution

When I open an image, the resolution always occurs in 72 dpi but the real is 300, for example. How can I know the real resolution? Also if the image is in CMYK dont give me that information

Thanks

Rick Strong
2016-11-11 14:40:55 UTC (over 7 years ago)

resolution

IMAGE > IMAGE PROPERTIES (This will also show you CMYK) or IMAGE > PRINT SIZE for resolution and dimensions. These can be reset.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Hija de la madre patria
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 2:51 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] resolution

When I open an image, the resolution always occurs in 72 dpi but the real is 300, for example. How can I know the real resolution? Also if the image is in CMYK dont give me that information

Thanks

Greg Chapman
2016-11-12 17:07:50 UTC (over 7 years ago)

resolution

Hi Hija,

What Rick is trying to explain is that there is no such thing as "real resolution".

The number of dots/pixels per inch you see depends on how big you display each pixel or, looking it the other way, how many dots you squeeze/stretch into a given space.

The first dialogue that Rick points you to will tell you how big an image will display/print at the given resolution.

Given the number of pixels in the image, the second dialogue allows you to adjust either the size of the finished image so you can see what the resolution will be at that size, or the resolution to show you how big that would make the image.

If you wish to to have your default resolution be 300ppi rather than 72ppi, then go to

EDIT > PREFERENCES > DEFAULT IMAGE

and set the X-resolution and y resolution as you wish.

The default of 72ppi is a somewhat historic figure based roughly on the monitors available in the early days of the PC, but still remains a "standard" for many software products.

Greg

On 11/11/16 14:40, Rick Strong wrote:

IMAGE > IMAGE PROPERTIES (This will also show you CMYK) or IMAGE > PRINT SIZE for resolution and dimensions. These can be reset.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Hija de la madre patria Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 2:51 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] resolution

Thanks

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Still helping users of KompoZer but using BlueGriffon