RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Achieving truly smooth-edged text

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Achieving truly smooth-edged text List account 01 Dec 14:57
  Achieving truly smooth-edged text Simon Budig 01 Dec 15:05
  Achieving truly smooth-edged text Sven Neumann 01 Dec 15:18
List account
2004-12-01 14:57:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Greetings, all...

This topic has probably been discussed before, but I'm unable to find anything on the lists that will allow me to achieve the results I want. Text created in the Gimp continues to be quite jaggy. I want to achieve nice, smooth fonts, such as those I can achieve with Photoshop (if I pay) or through OpenOffice's vector drawing program (but without the many advantages of the Gimp).

I am running a Mac with OS X 10.3.2, with Freetype installed via Fink. I downloaded the latest version of Gimp.app (version 2.0.x). Upon first running Gimp, it recognizes the majority of my fonts, and even gives me a nice menu showing examples of the fonts. Nevertheless, even when I turn on "Antialiasing" in the font property panel (and also with mucking with the hinting settings), I still get jaggedy fonts, such as those shown in the attached image.

It must be the case that I'm doing something wrong, or that my environment is set up improperly... perhaps I need to compile Gimp from scratch so as to make use of Freetype??

Thanks for your help!

-Erik Norvelle

Simon Budig
2004-12-01 15:05:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

List account (lists@norvelle.org) wrote:

I am running a Mac with OS X 10.3.2, with Freetype installed via Fink. I downloaded the latest version of Gimp.app (version 2.0.x). Upon first running Gimp, it recognizes the majority of my fonts, and even gives me a nice menu showing examples of the fonts.

Probably these examples are properly antialiased, right?

Nevertheless, even
when I turn on "Antialiasing" in the font property panel (and also with mucking with the hinting settings), I still get jaggedy fonts, such as those shown in the attached image.

Make sure that you operate on Images in RGB mode. Antialiasing does not work when working on indexed images (like the GIF image you attached).

Hope this helps, Simon

Sven Neumann
2004-12-01 15:18:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

List account writes:

It must be the case that I'm doing something wrong, or that my environment is set up improperly... perhaps I need to compile Gimp from scratch so as to make use of Freetype??

Perhaps you should stop using the GIF format or at least make sure that you work in RGB mode when creating images. Antialiasing doesn't work in Indexed mode.

Sven