RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

to much shine!!!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

to much shine!!! ghart89 07 Nov 15:12
  to much shine!!! Steve Kinney 08 Nov 18:34
  to much shine!!! Rick Strong 08 Nov 20:50
2016-11-07 15:12:57 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

to much shine!!!

So im trying to fix a few pictures i took that have to much shine. I'm attaching one of the photos, can someone please help me figure it out! Thank you!!

Steve Kinney
2016-11-08 18:34:34 UTC (over 7 years ago)

to much shine!!!

On 11/07/2016 10:12 AM, ghart89 wrote:

So im trying to fix a few pictures i took that have to much shine. I'm attaching one of the photos, can someone please help me figure it out! Thank you!!

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/315/original/DSCN0714.JPG

That's a hard one: The overexposed areas just don't have any content available to "bring out" with filters or adjustments, so reducing the "shine" by any worthwhile amount would be more like making a painting from scratch than editing a photo. We are used to seeing things similar to this in real life, and the eye/brain automatically compensate for it; but changes to the overexposed areas will usually look "unnatural" and only draw attention to them.

In some instances it is possible to take multiple photos at different exposures, and combine them so that the over- and underexposed parts are discarded, leaving one natural looking image. This would typically be done in landscape or similar photography were the camera is on a tripod and the scene changes very slowly if at all. But humans are moving targets...

I do hope that someone has useful techniques to suggest, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

:o/

Steve

Rick Strong
2016-11-08 20:50:51 UTC (over 7 years ago)

to much shine!!!

Working on the file with a NEW NAME (so you don't mess up the original): 1. With the lasso tool, select the bright areas that you want to darken. 2. Make sure to feather the selection a lot—like 150 or more px.! 3. Colors > Brightness make it a negative value (less than zero). 4. Turn Preview ON to see the effect. Don't overdo it.

CTRL+T will get rid of the selection "marching ants" outline. It's easier to see the effect you are having.

Good luck, Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: ghart89
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2016 10:12 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] to much shine!!!

So im trying to fix a few pictures i took that have to much shine. I'm attaching
one of the photos, can someone please help me figure it out! Thank you!!

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/315/original/DSCN0714.JPG

ghart89 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)