RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image file format of the future?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image file format of the future? Helmut Jarausch 28 Oct 09:03
  Image file format of the future? Joao S. O. Bueno 28 Oct 10:55
  Image file format of the future? Liam R. E. Quin 28 Oct 18:45
Helmut Jarausch
2016-10-28 09:03:46 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Hi, this sounds a bit off topic, but I don't think so. With the advent of wide gamut monitors and televisions which use 10 bits per colour, the current 8-bit jpeg file format is no more suitable. And 16s bit per colour TIFF files are large and a bit overkill (for 10 bits per colour).
Is there some new file format (new version of jpeg?) in progress and will Gimp support this?

I'm just curious, Helmut

Joao S. O. Bueno
2016-10-28 10:55:15 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I'd say its very little likely that anyone will spend time trying to publicize a 10bpp file format. Just for viewing images, regardless of whether your display supports 10bpp images, the human eye wo t be able to discern the tones anyway. And for image editing, it is just too little gain over 8bpp - you will get posterizing on dark/light colors anyway. The complexity x gains of such a file format seens absolutely not worth it.

And, besides all that, there are formats like JPEG 2000 that have support for higher color depths and lossy compression out there for years now, and this didn't seem to have the format to "catch" in anyway.

On 28 October 2016 at 07:03, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

Hi, this sounds a bit off topic, but I don't think so. With the advent of wide gamut monitors and televisions which use 10 bits per colour, the current 8-bit jpeg file format is no more suitable. And 16s bit per colour TIFF files are large and a bit overkill (for 10 bits per colour).
Is there some new file format (new version of jpeg?) in progress and will Gimp support this?

I'm just curious, Helmut

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-10-28 18:45:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Fri, 2016-10-28 at 11:03 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

There's PNG, which can do up to 16 bits per channel.

There are a number of variations on JPEG that have sprung up to try and meet this need. For sure a mix of deep colour (both higher bit depth and wider gamut) and colour management is driving colour on the Web right now. This is coming from TV screens and the HDMI interface and probably computer games.

I'm going to guess we'll see a stronger push for something over the next couple ofyears; I've alreay heard talk of revising PNG too (it already supports higher bit depth but not e.g. 2-channel images, and compression schemes have advanced considerably).

There will be GIMP support if and when someone writes it and contributes it :-)

It'd also be nice to add support to the colour pickers for the newer CSS syntax(es) for colours, but that's still evolving right now.

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
Words and Puctures From Old Books - http://www.fromoldbooks.org/