RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

No Filenames Recognized By Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

No Filenames Recognized By Gimp Daniel Banks 28 Oct 03:57
  No Filenames Recognized By Gimp Kevin Cozens 28 Oct 20:06
   c285e8e5-4e90-1aaf-2965-b46... 31 Oct 16:02
    No Filenames Recognized By Gimp Kevin Cozens 31 Oct 16:02
  No Filenames Recognized By Gimp Michael Schumacher 31 Oct 19:00
Daniel Banks
2016-10-28 03:57:30 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Gimp will not open any file type other than it's own native format. It will not recognize and open a .JPG or .GIF, for example. Also, it will not allow me to export a .XCF file with to any other extension/filetype. There are no filename extensions listed in the File Type box under By Extension. It is blank. I have completely uninstalled the program, including the .gimp-2.8 folderin my Profile folder. I have done this several times with no change in the behavior. I even tried replacing my own plug-ins folder with someone else's plug-ins folder who's Gimp install was working properly.

This issue began with the upgrade to 2.8. This is on a Windows 7 64-bit system. Can someone please help me figure this out so that I can get Gimp working properly again? Thank you!!

Kevin Cozens
2016-10-28 20:06:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 16-10-27 11:57 PM, Daniel Banks wrote:

Gimp will not open any file type other than it's own native format.

[snip]

There are no filename extensions listed in the File Type box under By Extension.

Can you use the File->Open menu to open file types other than GIMP's native format? If not, you have a problem with the installation of the plug-ins providing support for other file formats.

If you can open other file formats from inside GIMP the problem is just with file associations. You can set the associations you want by telling Windows what program to use when it opens a given file type.

Pay attention during installation to see if it asks you whether you want the installer to set file associations.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                  | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Kevin Cozens
2016-10-31 16:02:10 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 16-10-30 03:30 PM, Daniel Banks wrote:

Interestingly, if I run the portable version of Gimp 2.8, it *does* show file types and will let me export to the usual file name extensions.

Sounds a bit like a problem with the installer package. Where did you get the copy of GIMP you are trying to install and what is the filename on the package?

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Michael Schumacher
2016-10-31 19:00:10 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Am 28.10.2016 um 05:57 schrieb Daniel Banks:

Gimp will not open any file type other than it's own native format.

Most common reason for this not-that-common issue:

the folders to plug-ins are pointing to directories where there are no plug-ins. No plug-ins = no support for anything but XCF, and also a lot of other menu entries missing.

Remedy: Go to GIMP's preferences and see what folders are specified there, then go to your file system and check whether GIMP is actually installed there, and if not, adjust the folders in the preferences.

Technical background for that reason, and for why it isn't common in general:

For this issue to happen, the following two conditions have to be met:

1. the plug-ins folders had been changed once 2. the current location where GIMP is installed is different to the or a previous one

If either one is not met, then GIMP would find its plug-ins.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD