RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Jogchum Reitsma 26 Nov 14:57
  Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Sven Neumann 26 Nov 16:45
   Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Jogchum Reitsma 26 Nov 19:09
    Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Jeff Trefftzs 26 Nov 20:42
    Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Sven Neumann 26 Nov 20:45
     Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Jogchum Reitsma 26 Nov 22:54
    Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Carol Spears 26 Nov 21:45
     Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Jogchum Reitsma 27 Nov 12:26
      Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Carol Spears 27 Nov 17:46
    Tiff-library not found for gimp 2.2 Manish Singh 28 Nov 01:24
Jogchum Reitsma
2004-11-26 14:57:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

I did a ./configure on the gimp-2.2 source (not the CVS-line), and it complained about not finding the TIFF-library. So I downloaded that (v. 3.70), compiled and installed it (the libraries install in /usr/local/lib) and ran ldconfig.

Still ./configure doesn't find it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jogchum Reitsma

Sven Neumann
2004-11-26 16:45:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Jogchum Reitsma writes:

I did a ./configure on the gimp-2.2 source (not the CVS-line), and it complained about not finding the TIFF-library. So I downloaded that (v. 3.70), compiled and installed it (the libraries install in /usr/local/lib) and ran ldconfig.

What am I doing wrong?

You forgot to read INSTALL, in particular the section that is titled "When ./configure fails on plug-ins".

Sven

Jogchum Reitsma
2004-11-26 19:09:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Jogchum Reitsma writes:

What am I doing wrong?

You forgot to read INSTALL, in particular the section that is titled "When ./configure fails on plug-ins".

Sven

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Frankly, I did read INSTALL, and also that section, but didn't think the solution offered there would bring me luck.

But after your reply I did

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"

before running configure.

This is what configure says:

checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no checking for TIFFWriteScanline in -ltiff... no checking for TIFFFlushData in -ltiff34... no configure: WARNING: *** TIFF plug-in will not be built (TIFF library not found) ***
configure: error:
*** Checks for TIFF libary failed. You can build without it by passing *** --without-libtiff to configure but you won't be able to use TIFFs then.

There are no more references to libtiff in the output from configure, as far as I can see.

Maybe I installed the wrong version of libtiff? Mine is 3.7.0: /usr/local/lib reads among other:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff -> libtiff.3.7.0* lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.3 -> libtiff.3.7.0* -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 700919 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.3.7.0* -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981630 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.a -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 783 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.la*

I don't need the tiff-library myself, so I could give --without-libtiff to configure. But since testing is my object, it would be nice to have it included.

Thanks, Jogchum

Jeff Trefftzs
2004-11-26 20:42:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 10:09, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Frankly, I did read INSTALL, and also that section, but didn't think the solution offered there would bring me luck.

checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no checking for TIFFWriteScanline in -ltiff... no checking for TIFFFlushData in -ltiff34... no configure: WARNING: *** TIFF plug-in will not be built (TIFF library not found) ***
*** Checks for TIFF libary failed. You can build without it by passing *** --without-libtiff to configure but you won't be able to use TIFFs then.

There are no more references to libtiff in the output from configure, as far as I can see.

Maybe I installed the wrong version of libtiff? Mine is 3.7.0: /usr/local/lib reads among other:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff -> libtiff.3.7.0* lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.3 -> libtiff.3.7.0* -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 700919 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.3.7.0* -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 981630 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.a -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 783 2004-11-26 14:46 libtiff.la*

I don't need the tiff-library myself, so I could give --without-libtiff to configure. But since testing is my object, it would be nice to have it included.

Do you have /usr/local/lib in your /etc/ld.so.conf file? Make sure it's there, and run ldconfig again and see what happens.

HTH,

Sven Neumann
2004-11-26 20:45:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Does your linker look into /usr/local/lib at all? If you install libraries there, you either have it in /etc/ld.so.conf and updated your linker cache or you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, didn't you?

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-11-26 21:45:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 07:09:40PM +0100, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:

there is a script that sets many of these things for you so that the build will go smoothly.

http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv

type "source gimpenv" with the term you will use to build gimp and other /usr/local/ things and many of the details are taken care of.

i use my personal copy to set the CVSROOT as well.

carol

Jogchum Reitsma
2004-11-26 22:54:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Sorry, just after I sent my previous posting I realized I should have added that I indeed checked /etc/ld.so.conf. Indeed /usr/local/lib is in there, and only after checking this I ran ldconfig.

I'll try Carol's hint tomorrow - going to bed now.

thanks again, greetings, Jogchum

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Does your linker look into /usr/local/lib at all? If you install libraries there, you either have it in /etc/ld.so.conf and updated your linker cache or you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, didn't you?

Sven

Jogchum Reitsma
2004-11-27 12:26:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Carol Spears wrote:

there is a script that sets many of these things for you so that the build will go smoothly.

type "source gimpenv" with the term you will use to build gimp and other /usr/local/ things and many of the details are taken care of.

carol

Carol,

Thanks for your info. But after following your advice, the result is the same... By the way, since my distro - SuSE 9.2 - installs gimp-2.0 somewhere in /opt/gnome, I take the standard /usr/local for installing gimp 2.2.

kind greetings, Jogchum

Carol Spears
2004-11-27 17:46:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 12:26:16PM +0100, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

Thanks for your info. But after following your advice, the result is the same... By the way, since my distro - SuSE 9.2 - installs gimp-2.0 somewhere in /opt/gnome, I take the standard /usr/local for installing gimp 2.2.

that means you do not have to edit the script. i am sorry it did not help you with your problems, it probably helped you with other problems unless you have these environment variables set somewhere else (.bashrc or .bash_profile is one controversial option).

hopefully someone else will figure out the real solution.

carol

Manish Singh
2004-11-28 01:24:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Check config.log for details for why the check failed.
-Yosh