RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Non-internet install

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Non-internet install Sorin 17 Oct 12:05
  Non-internet install Pat David 17 Oct 19:18
  Non-internet install rich2005 18 Oct 08:44
   Non-internet install Sorin 18 Oct 18:14
  Non-internet install Andrew Clarke 18 Oct 12:37
  Non-internet install Kevin Cozens 18 Oct 21:08
2016-10-17 12:05:07 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Non-internet install

I want to install Gimp on one computer that I keep in my shop for visual only work. To preclude problems it is not allowed access to internet, wi-fi, any other outside inputs except CDs and flash drives. Gimp and Gimpshop seem to only be available via internet though. I tried transferring from my other system, which has Gimp, via flash but cannot find an install exe file. Is there a way to accomplish?

Pat David
2016-10-17 19:18:56 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Non-internet install

Hello!

Gimpshop is not maintained by us, nor is it recommended to use (or even download).
The official downloads for GIMP can be found on our website ( https://www.gimp.org/downloads/).
You can choose what your OS is and download the appropriate file from that page.

For reference, the latest stable windows download is here: https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.18-setup.exe

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 1:49 PM Sorin wrote:

I want to install Gimp on one computer that I keep in my shop for visual only
work. To preclude problems it is not allowed access to internet, wi-fi, any other outside inputs except CDs and flash drives. Gimp and Gimpshop seem to only
be available via internet though. I tried transferring from my other system,
which has Gimp, via flash but cannot find an install exe file. Is there a way to
accomplish?

--
Sorin (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

rich2005
2016-10-18 08:44:56 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Non-internet install

I want to install Gimp on one computer that I keep in my shop for visual only work. To preclude problems it is not allowed access to internet, wi-fi, any other outside inputs except CDs and flash drives. Gimp and Gimpshop seem to only be available via internet though. I tried transferring from my other system, which has Gimp, via flash but cannot find an install exe file. Is there a way to accomplish?

To answer the question, Gimp is 'almost' portable, There is a good chance that copy from one computer to another will work, with some caveats.

1. Which Windows flavour?

If only 'Program Files' then it is 32 bit Windows. If 'Program Files' + 'Program Files (x86)' then 64 bit Windows.

2. Recent Gimp will always install to 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2' and the whole folder Structure need copying. see screenshot(1).

From memory, If GimpShop was installed and that comes with a whole range of **non-gimp sponsored adware**, that is a 32 bit old Gimp 2.8.0 but legitimate. It is GIMP. However **Never-never** install GimpShop.

3. How to tell if Gimp is 32 or 64 bit version. The **64 bit** Gimp contains a sub-folder .../GIMP 2/32 see screenshot(1)

4. A 32 bit Gimp should work in a 64 bit Windows, but not the other way round 64 bit Gimp, no good for 32 bit Windows.

5. In the new computer, best install to 'Program Files' or 'Program Files(x86)' but Gimp should work even straight under "C:" see:screenshot(2)

6. To start Gimp make a shortcut to ..\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8\.exe see: screenshot(2)

7. First run is the same a brand new installation. see:screenshot(3) A new empty gimp profile is created. If you need any specific script/plugin then copy from original machine.

8. If it all goes wrong for you, then get someone to download the regular Gimp installer currently: gimp-2.8.18-setup.exe about 74MB. Use that.

Andrew Clarke
2016-10-18 12:37:45 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Non-internet install

On 17/10/2016 13:05, Sorin wrote:

I want to install Gimp on one computer that I keep in my shop for visual only work. To preclude problems it is not allowed access to internet, wi-fi, any other outside inputs except CDs and flash drives. Gimp and Gimpshop seem to only be available via internet though. I tried transferring from my other system,

Not sure why if you can transfer via flash from other system why you cannot transfer from other system via flash drive from a download from gimp.org ? Or burn a CD from a download.

which has Gimp, via flash but cannot find an install exe file. Is there a way to accomplish?

2016-10-18 18:14:48 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Non-internet install

That seems to have worked. I owe you a beer! This version of Win 8.1 is kinda odd. No Install for programs. Finally just sent Gimp from the CD to Programs and then activated the Gimp under bin. Anyway, thank bud. I look forward to studying my book & playing out in the shop. Seeing how it's different from PS.

Kevin Cozens
2016-10-18 21:08:16 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Non-internet install

On 16-10-17 08:05 AM, Sorin wrote:

I want to install Gimp on one computer that I keep in my shop for visual only work. To preclude problems it is not allowed access to internet, wi-fi, any other outside inputs except CDs and flash drives.

There is a portable apps version f GIMP that you can put on a memory stick and use on any Windows machine without having to install the program. I have a USB memory stick containing a lot of portable apps for when I'm on the road, or using a computer other than my own.

See http://portableapps.com/ for details.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick