RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Plugin Registry and dog plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Plugin Registry and dog plugin Alan Horkan 24 Nov 17:42
  Plugin Registry and dog plugin Sven Neumann 24 Nov 19:31
   Plugin Registry and dog plugin Alan Horkan 24 Nov 22:00
    Plugin Registry and dog plugin Sven Neumann 24 Nov 22:47
     Plugin Registry and dog plugin Alan Horkan 25 Nov 23:11
      Plugin Registry and dog plugin Sven Neumann 26 Nov 12:21
Plugin Registry and dog plugin William Skaggs 24 Nov 20:44
Plugin Registry and dog plugin lode.leroy@advalvas.be 25 Nov 12:16
Plugin Registry and dog plugin lode.leroy@advalvas.be 25 Nov 12:17
Alan Horkan
2004-11-24 17:42:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I was trying to find out more about the new "Dog" plugin but the Plugin Registry doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone know what the problem is or if it is just a problem on my end? http://registry.gimp.org/

(I have since learned that the dog plugin is an Edge Detection plugin, and DOG stands for Difference of Guassians)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org Abiword is Awesome http://abisource.com

Sven Neumann
2004-11-24 19:31:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

For a long time I've been willing to point people to OpenClipArt.org, in particular to the gradients that GIMP 2.2 is now able to read. But even though I've reported this problem a long ago, the gradients are still completely unusable due to lack of preview. Even worse, lately one can't even browse the repository any longer. So I cannot even verify that the gradients are still broken. Can you please fix this for us? As soon as this is fixed, someone might look into fixing our registry for you.

Sven

William Skaggs
2004-11-24 20:44:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Alan Horkan wrote:

I was trying to find out more about the new "Dog" plugin but the Plugin Registry doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone know what the problem is or if it is just a problem on my end? http://registry.gimp.org/

(I have since learned that the dog plugin is an Edge Detection plugin, and DOG stands for Difference of Guassians)

I don't know about the registry, but at least I can tell you about the DoG plugin, since I wrote it. It does edge detection using the so-called "Difference of Gaussians" algorithm, which works by performing two different Gaussian blurs on the image, with a different blurring radius for each, and subtracting them to yield the result. This algorithm is very widely used in artificial vision (maybe in biological vision as well!), and is pretty fast because there are very efficient methods for doing Gaussian blurs.

The two main parameters are "inner radius" and "outer radius", which are simply the blurring radii for the two Gaussian blurs. It is probably easiest to choose values using the preview, but it may help to know that increasing the smaller radius tends to give thicker-appearing edges, and decreasing the larger radius tends to increase the "threshold" for recognizing something as an edge. In most cases you will get nicer results if the inner radius is smaller than the outer radius, but nothing prevents you from reversing them, and in situations where you have a light figure on the dark background, reversing them may actually improve the result.

The "Normalize" checkbox, if checked causes the brightness range in the result to be stretched to the widest possible. Note that in the preview, only the part of the image that is shown is taken into account, so with "Normalize" checked the preview is not completely accurate. (It is accurate except in terms of global contrast.)

The "Invert" checkbox inverts the result, so that you see black edges on a white background, giving something that looks more like a drawing.

Incidentally, in 2.2-pre2 this plug-in is broken because some changes in the GIMP core made some of the things it did no longer work (bug #158895) -- it crashes immediately if you try to run it. Hopefully this will be fixed by the next release.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Alan Horkan
2004-11-24 22:00:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:31:48 +0100 From: Sven Neumann
To: Alan Horkan
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Plugin Registry and dog plugin

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

For a long time I've been willing to point people to OpenClipArt.org, in particular to the gradients that GIMP 2.2 is now able to read. But even though I've reported this problem a long ago, the gradients are still completely unusable due to lack of preview. Even worse, lately

I was reluctant to add what would be needed for a preview because it would have broken compatibility with some of the software I was using.

They went and broke compatibility anyway for other reasons.

I am reasonably sure they have a Perl script to add the necessary information to allow a preview but they do not seem to have gotten around to it last time I checked (I do not do perl. I've moved on from OpenClipart.org and didn't plan on making any further changes to the files I had submitted, the other files I submitted are probably still in the queue awaiting processing).

one can't even browse the repository any longer. So I cannot even verify that the gradients are still broken. Can you please fix this for us?

(Freedestkop.org has been having problems and they host the OpenClipart website.) I cannot fix the openclipart.org website, as I do not have CVS access. I'll try and bring it to the attention of the admins but I'm not very closely involved in the project. I just happened to join up early on and contribute some a few hundred gradients and patterns when the library was only small, and I haven't looked at the project it in months even though I do still think it is a very worthwhile project.

I could to see about getting the gradients updated to include the information needed for previews, but I'm not making any promises (I might get it done over christmas).

As soon as this is fixed, someone might look into fixing our registry for you.

Do not fix the registry on my account. The registry is nice to have but I dont need it very often.

I had not seen the breakage mentioned and thought you might not already be aware of it or that I might be doing something wrong. I decided to ask about it first rather than filing a bug report, I can still file a bug report if you want

- Alan

Sven Neumann
2004-11-24 22:47:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I am reasonably sure they have a Perl script to add the necessary information to allow a preview but they do not seem to have gotten around to it last time I checked (I do not do perl. I've moved on from OpenClipart.org and didn't plan on making any further changes to the files I had submitted, the other files I submitted are probably still in the queue awaiting processing).

I offered to write the few lines of XSLT that should be sufficient to fix the gradients. Perhaps we should host them at gimp.org then?

Do not fix the registry on my account. The registry is nice to have but I dont need it very often.

I had not seen the breakage mentioned and thought you might not already be aware of it or that I might be doing something wrong. I decided to ask about it first rather than filing a bug report, I can still file a bug report if you want

The registry isn't really run by the GIMP people and has been unmaintained for a while. If it is broken now, I am afraid that it won't be resurrected anytime soon. Filing a bug report won't change that.

Sven

lode.leroy@advalvas.be
2004-11-25 12:16:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

There is a french site listing plugins at:

http://www.gimp-fr.org/html/greffon/gimp2_plugin.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas http://www.advalvas.be

lode.leroy@advalvas.be
2004-11-25 12:17:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

There is a french site listing GIMP plugins at http://www.gimp-fr.org/html/greffon/gimp2_plugin.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas http://www.advalvas.be

Alan Horkan
2004-11-25 23:11:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:47:26 +0100 From: Sven Neumann
To: Alan Horkan
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Plugin Registry and dog plugin

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I offered to write the few lines of XSLT that should be sufficient to fix the gradients. Perhaps we should host them at gimp.org then?

If you resubmitted the updated versions I expect they would be accepted by OpenClipart.org and they would probably be interested to make use of any XSLT or any other useful script or tool you might produce.

The registry isn't really run by the GIMP people and has been unmaintained for a while. If it is broken now, I am afraid that it won't be resurrected anytime soon. Filing a bug report won't change that.

As it was on gimp.org I thought the gimp developers had some influence or control over it, thanks for clarifying.

- Alan

Sven Neumann
2004-11-26 12:21:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

If you resubmitted the updated versions I expect they would be accepted by OpenClipart.org and they would probably be interested to make use of any XSLT or any other useful script or tool you might produce.

If they would be interested, they would probably have replied to my offer.

As it was on gimp.org I thought the gimp developers had some influence or control over it, thanks for clarifying.

The only thing we have control about is the DNS entry for registry.gimp.org.

Sven