RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Shrinking Photos.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Shrinking Photos. John N. Alegre 24 Nov 16:25
  Shrinking Photos. Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 24 Nov 17:02
   Shrinking Photos. John N. Alegre 24 Nov 18:05
    Shrinking Photos. John Culleton 29 Nov 17:09
     Shrinking Photos. Carol Spears 29 Nov 18:28
     Shrinking Photos. Sven Neumann 29 Nov 18:37
John N. Alegre
2004-11-24 16:25:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Shrinking Photos.

Is there a better way to reduce the size of a digital photo (.jpg) and preserve detail then using the File > Image > Scale Image function of GIMP?

john

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-11-24 17:02:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Shrinking Photos.

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 13:25, John N. Alegre wrote:

Is there a better way to reduce the size of a digital photo (.jpg) and preserve detail then using the File > Image > Scale Image function of GIMP?

If you want to change the print size, you just have to change the DPI settings. On gimp 2.2 there is a new "print size" dialog that doesn't change the pixel data at all.

Up to gimp 2.0, you have to Scale the Image, but be sure that the number of Pixels doesn't change.

john

John N. Alegre
2004-11-24 18:05:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Shrinking Photos.

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 10:02, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

If you want to change the print size, you just have to change the DPI settings. On gimp 2.2 there is a new "print size" dialog that doesn't change the pixel data at all.

Up to gimp 2.0, you have to  Scale the Image, but be sure that the number of Pixels doesn't change.

Let's see if I got this right.

On the "Scale Image" dialog, I change the size but not the resolution, correct??

john

John Culleton
2004-11-29 17:09:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Shrinking Photos.

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 12:05, John N. Alegre wrote:

Up to gimp 2.0, you have to  Scale the Image, but be sure that the number of Pixels doesn't change.

On the "Scale Image" dialog, I change the size but not the resolution, correct??

And how does one uncouple these two parameters? When I change one the other changes.

Carol Spears
2004-11-29 18:28:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Shrinking Photos.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:09:21AM -0500, John Culleton wrote:

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 12:05, John N. Alegre wrote:

Up to gimp 2.0, you have to ?Scale the Image, but be sure that the number of Pixels doesn't change.

And how does one uncouple these two parameters? When I change one the other changes.

there is a little button with a chain on it. toggle that.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-11-29 18:37:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Shrinking Photos.

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

On the "Scale Image" dialog, I change the size but not the resolution,

No, it doesn't. Changing the size in the Image Scale dialog doesn't have any effect on the resolution.

Sven