RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Suddenly can't do anything (cut, paste, draw, clear, etc)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2016-10-01 18:11:27 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I've been using GIMP to do sprite work for Transport Tycoon, and everything was working fine last night when I finished up with a new sprite and exported it to PNG.

Today I get on my computer and now I can't do much of anything with GIMP.

I've tried everything I know on new images (made new in GIMP) or old images I previously worked on and nothing works.

I tried drawing with the brush or pencil, nothing happens.

I try to select an area and I can't cut or copy the area, and if I try to paste something it just pastes nothing/invisible things.

I'f I select an area to delete/clear, when I hit "Clear selection" or the DELETE key, the whole layer gets deleted, even if I only selected a pixel.

All this happens whether I'm in RGB or Indexed color mode, on a old layer or a new layer, and Reinstalling GIMP did nothing either.

Just to make sure I'm not going crazy or my keyboard or mouse is being weird, I tried SAI, MS Paint and Paint.net to see if I can draw, cut, delete, etc and everything works in other image editing software, jut not in GIMP.

I'm Running GIMP 2.8.18 x64 on Windows 10 Pro x64 (Build 14393)

2016-10-01 18:13:39 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Oh and I should mention I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling GIMP, that didn't solve the issue.

neither did restarting my computer help, After two restarts GIMP still isn't letting me do anything.

Partha Bagchi
2016-10-01 18:56:33 UTC (over 7 years ago)

If I have to guess, your personal GIMP folder is corrupt. Delete or move it somewhere and restart GIMP.

Your personal folder is located at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.8 or it's C:\Users\YourUserName\.gimp-2.8

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 2:13 PM, nekomaster wrote:

Oh and I should mention I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling GIMP, that
didn't solve the issue.

neither did restarting my computer help, After two restarts GIMP still isn't
letting me do anything.

--
nekomaster (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-10-01 18:59:03 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

If I have to guess, your personal GIMP folder is corrupt. Delete or move it
somewhere and restart GIMP.

Your personal folder is located at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.8 or it's C:\Users\YourUserName\.gimp-2.8

I went and reset my tool preferances and that seems to have fixed my problem. Now I can draw, cut, paste, and delete again.