RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

BMP Image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

BMP Image Ricardo10 30 Sep 16:05
  BMP Image pattyJ 30 Sep 21:27
   BMP Image Steve Kinney 30 Sep 22:22
    BMP Image Steve Kinney 30 Sep 22:38
     BMP Image Ricardo10 30 Sep 22:55
      BMP Image Liam R. E. Quin 01 Oct 03:22
   BMP Image Ricardo10 30 Sep 22:47
2016-09-30 16:05:44 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

BMP Image

Hello everyone.....

100% Gimp beginner here as u gonna see in my question... :)

How to save an image into BMP? ant then make it indexed?

Thanks to whom may Reply.....

2016-09-30 21:27:02 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

BMP Image

Hello,

I'm a newbie too, but have you tried Exporting it? From that dialog box you can choose Windows Bitmap (bmp). I'm afraid I don't know what indexes are in this context.

Cheers, p@ttyJ

Hello everyone.....

Steve Kinney
2016-09-30 22:22:55 UTC (over 7 years ago)

BMP Image

Do control+e to open the Export menu, type in a file name ending in .bmp, and click the magic button...

I was not aware that .bmp images can be indexed; the most common indexed format is .gif. Depending on the number of colors in the .bmp image, .gif may give acceptable results and a much smaller file size on disc.

The logical reason to convert a .bmp file to an indexed format would be to get a that smaller file size for the same size image - .bmp uses /no/ compression to reduce file size, and the result is /big/ image files, while .gif uses an efficient file compression method (that's what indexing is, more or less).

Check here for lots more details - also other pages in the same part of the website:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-images-out.html

:o)

On 09/30/2016 05:27 PM, pattyJ wrote:

Hello,

I'm a newbie too, but have you tried Exporting it? From that dialog box you can choose Windows Bitmap (bmp). I'm afraid I don't know what indexes are in this context.

Cheers,
p@ttyJ

Hello everyone.....

Steve Kinney
2016-09-30 22:38:41 UTC (over 7 years ago)

BMP Image

On 09/30/2016 06:22 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

Do control+e to open the Export menu, type in a file name ending in .bmp, and click the magic button...

I was not aware that .bmp images can be indexed; the most common indexed format is .gif. Depending on the number of colors in the .bmp image, .gif may give acceptable results and a much smaller file size on disc.

The logical reason to convert a .bmp file to an indexed format would be to get a that smaller file size for the same size image - .bmp uses /no/ compression to reduce file size, and the result is /big/ image files, while .gif uses an efficient file compression method (that's what indexing is, more or less).

Check here for lots more details - also other pages in the same part of the website:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-images-out.html

:o)

Read the docs and you will soon know more than me: For instance, I just went poking around and found out that the GIF format uses LZW compression. Just converting to an indexed format would not compress an image /nearly/ as much as doing that /then/ squashing it with LZW.

But not knowing that has not prevented me from using the format successfully, in its proper place (animated dealie-bobs for websites, ror instance), for a loooong time. This stuff is actually simple, from a practical end-user point of view.

;o)

2016-09-30 22:47:01 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

BMP Image

Hello,

Cheers, p@ttyJ

Thanks Patty......I did use the Export option..but that's where i got lost.....maybe a did something wrong....it was my 1st time with gimp..... I'm gonna try today...thanks..

:)

2016-09-30 22:55:19 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

BMP Image

Read the docs and you will soon know more than me: For instance, I just
went poking around and found out that the GIF format uses LZW compression. Just converting to an indexed format would not compress an
image /nearly/ as much as doing that /then/ squashing it with LZW.

But not knowing that has not prevented me from using the format successfully, in its proper place (animated dealie-bobs for websites, ror instance), for a loooong time. This stuff is actually simple, from
a practical end-user point of view.

;o)

Ok...gonna try that later on..Thanks....

This is what i was trying to do last night for the 1st time...some instructions to save the image i was working on:

"The trick with using Gimp, is that when you are finished you need to set the skin to BMP
and then select (on the menu bar) "Image/Mode/mode/Indexed" and then save the file. It will now be in the correct format for the game."
some image for a game......i guess Gimp only saves in 24 bit indexed..wich then i have to run the file into an application that reduces it to 8 bit indexed format so it can be used in the game......

Thanks................

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-10-01 03:22:07 UTC (over 7 years ago)

BMP Image

On Sat, 2016-10-01 at 00:55 +0200, Ricardo10 wrote:

"The trick with using Gimp, is that when you are finished  you need to set the skin to BMP
and then select (on the menu bar) "Image/Mode/mode/Indexed" and then save the file. It will now be in the correct format for the game."

some image for a game......i guess Gimp only saves in 24 bit indexed..wich then
i have to run the file into an application that reduces it  to 8 bit indexed format so it can be used in the game......

No, if you convert the image to "Indexed" mode, GIMP will export as 8- bit indexed. If prompted, you probably do want the option to use run- length encoding.

Liam [ankh]

Liam R. E. Quin 

On the Internet no-one can hear your chains rattle.