RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

(no subject)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

(no subject) John Smith 30 Sep 08:54
  (no subject) Simon Budig 30 Sep 09:10
   (no subject) Jan Kandziora 30 Sep 12:09
John Smith
2016-09-30 08:54:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

(no subject)

Hello everybody,

I am considering moving from Photoshop to The Gimp entirely. I did bend Photoshop to my needs and I master perfectly everything I need to master with this software. I am NOT a beginner in the world of image editing.

Therefore, before starting the long and painful process of learning a new software, I need to be sure it is worth it.

Question 1) Can I add a layer mask, make it active, add some noise, blur the thing, get a selection from a previously saved alpha channel and all that sort of things through scripts. Don't tell me how, I just want to know if I can do it.

Question 2) Can I access the application state through scripts? I mean is it possible to know if a layer mask is already added to the active layer or if the layer palette is visible?

Question 3) As far as I understand it, it is not possible to have toggles at the moment. Ctrl z twice will cancel 2 actions instead of undoing and redoing the last action. Am I right?If so how do I build toggles in the Gimp. I have a solution but it implies having a keyboard listener wrapping the Gimp and that's not the econimcal way of doing it.

Cordialement,

John

http://johnsmithimages.net

Simon Budig
2016-09-30 09:10:53 UTC (over 7 years ago)

(no subject)

John Smith (j.smith.images@gmail.com) wrote:

Question 1) Can I add a layer mask, make it active, add some noise, blur the thing, get a selection from a previously saved alpha channel and all that sort of things through scripts. Don't tell me how, I just want to know if I can do it.

yes.

Question 2) Can I access the application state through scripts? I mean is it possible to know if a layer mask is already added to the active layer or if the layer palette is visible?

You can query the image state, including querying if a layer has a layermask.

The UI state is not really accessible via scripting.

Question 3) As far as I understand it, it is not possible to have toggles at the moment. Ctrl z twice will cancel 2 actions instead of undoing and redoing the last action. Am I right?If so how do I build toggles in the Gimp. I have a solution but it implies having a keyboard listener wrapping the Gimp and that's not the econimcal way of doing it.

Oh wow. Sounds like one of my workarounds. Highly overengineered but works. :)

I don't think I have heard someone wishing for a undo toggle before, so we have never considered adding it.

The easiest way probably would be to add this functionality to the GIMP itself as an alternate way to undo.

Although I'd like to understand why you need it. It feels a bit weird to me.

Bye,
Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Jan Kandziora
2016-09-30 12:09:02 UTC (over 7 years ago)

(no subject)

Am 30.09.2016 um 11:10 schrieb Simon Budig:

I don't think I have heard someone wishing for a undo toggle before, so we have never considered adding it.

The easiest way probably would be to add this functionality to the GIMP itself as an alternate way to undo.

Although I'd like to understand why you need it. It feels a bit weird to me.

I guess, as an alternative "preview". I often use a function, see whether the result is better than before, undo-redoing while focusing on different parts of an image.

It's a bit tedious to have two keyboard shortcuts for that, as you have your eyes on the screen and need to switch blindly between the two key combinations. Not all people are great in typewriting.

So, if you could implement a undo-redo toggle function easily, please do! Where do I need to sign at?

Kind regards

Jan