RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Approach to do cmyk conversion (was: gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 60, Issue 29)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Approach to do cmyk conversion (was: gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 60, Issue 29) Klaus Gölker 25 Sep 18:09
Klaus Gölker
2016-09-25 18:09:47 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Approach to do cmyk conversion (was: gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 60, Issue 29)

Hello, another suggestion to convert any rgb image to cmyk by open source: use Krita. Until GIMP is fully capable of doing this, Krita can do right now: https://krita.org
Anyway, you will encounter color deviations, espacially in the range of blue and turquise color tones after converting. This is, because rgb and cmyk are not totally equal - both differ in color tones and color range. I can report that after conversion from rgb to cmyk, colors, especially blue and reddish ones, are shiftet in luminosity and look somewhat dull. And bright cobalt blue tones are shifted towards somewhat turquoise, prussian blue tones. AFAIK In regular cmyk printing, this is not to be avoided. One reason the Pantone color tables have been invented for is gaining back those "special" colors. But this efforts special printing machines, which can print a fifth or even sixth color.
You may try to correct colors as far as possible after conversion with Krita, but dont expect the impossible. Regards

Klaus Goelker

-----Ursprngliche Nachricht----- Von: gimp-user-list [mailto:gimp-user-list-bounces@gnome.org] Im Auftrag von gimp-user-list-request@gnome.org
Gesendet: Sonntag, 25. September 2016 01:14 An: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Betreff: gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 60, Issue 29

Send gimp-user-list mailing list submissions to gimp-user-list@gnome.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-list-request@gnome.org

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-list-owner@gnome.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of gimp-user-list digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Error in opening psd files (Alexandre Prokoudine) 2. Re: Color mismatch when an image is printed (Rick Strong) 3. Re: Most current version of GIMP (Elle Stone) 4. Re: Most current version of GIMP (Joseph A Nagy Jr) 5. Re: Color mismatch when an image is printed (James Moe) 6. Contrast inadequate with tool descriptions (Judy Wilson)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:05:00 +0300 From: Alexandre Prokoudine
Cc: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Error in opening psd files Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

24 ????. 2016 ?. 0:37 ???????????? "Steve Kinney" ???????:

The GIMP includes a filter that converts the visible image to CMYK layers, and the result can be exported as a CMYK TIFF file.

Only if one installs a 3rd party plugin called separate+.

Alex

------------------------------

Message: 2 Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 13:12:29 -0400 From: "Rick Strong"
To: "Pat David" , "James Moe"
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Color mismatch when an image is printed Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

I wasn?t meaning a photograph printing store, I was referring to a printing shop that prints posters, flyers, books, etc. on paper. Like with a printing press. However, if what the man wants is photo prints printed by someone else, then yes, sRGB is most likely what he needs to send.

In any and all cases, ask what they want and send them that. After you have calibrated your monitor, of course.

Rick S.

From: Pat David Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 8:37 PM To: Rick Strong ; James Moe ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Color mismatch when an image is printed

Don't send CMYK to a photo print shop unless they specifically ask for it. The majority of high end US print shops want sRGB for photo prints (not books or offset printing - in that case I'd let them do the conversion unless you know what you're doing).

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM Rick Strong wrote:

I would start by buying a monitor colour calibration device like a SPYDER regardless of who is doing the printing, yourself at home or a print shop. Google SPYDER. It's simple to use, fast and accurate. There are others.

If you are sending files out to a print shop send CMYK images in North America. The preference in Europe I think is LAB. Check with your printer. Try the US Sheetfed/un-coated profile at home or anything that matches your
paper and gets you close to your calibrated monitor image.

Rick S.

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Message: 3 Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 16:19:47 -0400 From: Elle Stone
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Most current version of GIMP Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed

On 09/24/2016 07:24 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* FPC Music Ministry [09-24-16 05:55]:

In order to ensure I have the latest version of GIMP, should I uninstall

previous versions before downloading and installing the most recent version?

I currently have 2.8.4 on my computers.

Whether you need to uninstall previous versions probably depends on what operating system you are running. On Linux your package manager takes care of making sure there are no file clashes between the old and new versions.

On Windows, at least for Partha's builds (http://www.partha.com/, right-hand column notes - Partha has 2.8.14 available for 64-bit Windows), yes you should uninstall the old version (the portable version can be run without interfering with previous installations).

If you have a lot of custom settings in your configuration folder, you might want to make a backup of the config folder. People running GIMP on Windows would hopefully have more details.

-----

CONFIDENTIAL: The contents of this email, including attachments, is

intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

returning this to you per your posted instructions although i find it impossible to completely comply as i do not have possession of many of the copies. if this was not your intention, you should post w/o the *stupid* trailer, or stop using work related product for personal reasons.

Trailers such as the above do seem oddly out of place when posted to an open mailing list that's duplicated many times over on many servers.

But it's entirely possible that the OP uses GIMP at work and *for* work, so assumptions to the contrary aren't really warranted.

If someone else already answered the OP's original question, please excuse my two-cent's worth!

Elle
--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography

Message: 4 Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:53:47 -0500 From: Joseph A Nagy Jr
To: Elle Stone ,
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Most current version of GIMP Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"

On 09/24/2016 15:19, Elle Stone wrote:

On 09/24/2016 07:24 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* FPC Music Ministry [09-24-16 05:55]:

In order to ensure I have the latest version of GIMP, should I uninstall previous versions before downloading and installing the most recent version?

I currently have 2.8.4 on my computers.

Whether you need to uninstall previous versions probably depends on what operating system you are running. On Linux your package manager takes care of making sure there are no file clashes between the old and new versions.

On Windows, at least for Partha's builds (http://www.partha.com/, right-hand column notes - Partha has 2.8.14 available for 64-bit Windows), yes you should uninstall the old version (the portable version can be run without interfering with previous installations).

If you have a lot of custom settings in your configuration folder, you might want to make a backup of the config folder. People running GIMP on Windows would hopefully have more details.

I use Gimp for Windows (currently have Gimp installed on Win 8.1 x64 and Win 10 x64) and just install over older versions. I've never had an issue with this method (on any version of Windows I've used The GIMP on).

-----

CONFIDENTIAL: The contents of this email, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

returning this to you per your posted instructions although i find it impossible to completely comply as i do not have possession of many of the
copies. if this was not your intention, you should post w/o the *stupid* trailer, or stop using work related product for personal reasons.

Trailers such as the above do seem oddly out of place when posted to an open mailing list that's duplicated many times over on many servers.

But it's entirely possible that the OP uses GIMP at work and *for* work, so assumptions to the contrary aren't really warranted.

If someone else already answered the OP's original question, please excuse my two-cent's worth!

Perhaps, but it's still a ridiculous disclaimer, though.

Elle

Sincerely,

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr.
Owner
Boo-LaLa(Enterprises) d.b.a. Trinity Electrical & Handyman Services
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 884 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL:

Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 14:53:31 -0700
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Color mismatch when an image is printed
Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

On 09/23/2016 02:28 PM, Pat David wrote:
>   I'd search the online manual, except... There is no search function!
> Thus rendering the manual somewhat useless for finding specific topics.
> 
> http://imgur.com/a/mnhLn
> 
  Ah. Thanks.
  I had started at , followed the DOCS link to
, and then to .
No search function at that destination.
  The image shows the home page of . And, yay!, a
search option.

-- 
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com
Think.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 181 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL:

Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:05:49 -0600
Subject: [Gimp-user] Contrast inadequate with tool descriptions
Message-ID: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed

I love this list, have followed it for years, though most is way over my 
head, I'm a 73 year old female GIMP lover!

I do a lot of photo editing, and like to change tools rapidly, and want 
to learn the keyboard shortcuts. Right now when I mouse over a tool in 
the tool box, the pop-up shortcut is white on gray and I can hardly read 
it. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks from Judy in Belize!

Subject: Digest Footer