RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.2-pre2

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.2-pre2 Sven Neumann 20 Nov 12:37
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.2-pre2 Tom Williams 21 Nov 03:55
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.2-pre2 olivier ripoll 24 Nov 10:09
   ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.2-pre2 Sven Neumann 24 Nov 13:20
    ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.2-pre2 olivier ripoll 24 Nov 13:46
     ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.2-pre2 olivier ripoll 25 Nov 13:42
Sven Neumann
2004-11-20 12:37:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

It took a few days longer than what had been planned but last night I finally got around to make another pre-release of GIMP 2.2. You can download it from ftp.gimp.org and it's mirrors:

http://gimp.org/downloads/#mirrors

There have been a couple of problems in the 2.2-pre1 release (most notably the misbehaving Image->Scale dialog) that made it difficult to use 2.2-pre1 for daily work. We have however eliminated all reported problems and I hope that we didn't introduce any serious new ones. So this release should be good enough to use it on a regular basis.

Unless major problems show up, the final GIMP 2.2.0 release is supposed to follow later this month. We will be waiting for the GTK+ team to release an update for GTK+-2.4 that has some performance problems fixed which are seriously affecting The GIMP 2.2. I am speaking about the long delay you get when opening a new image window...

Please do not install this pre-releae of GIMP 2.2 into the same prefix as GIMP 2.0. It would overwrite most of the GIMP 2.0 installation. To install in parallel to 2.0, please use a different prefix which is not in your default library search path. If you wish to replace GIMP 2.0 with this pre-release, then please remove the GIMP 2.0 installation before installing this software. For detailed installation instructions, see the file INSTALL.

The GIMP 2.2 plug-in API is fully backward compatible to GIMP 2.0. Plug-ins for GIMP 2.0 should continue to work and don't need to be recompiled. We do however hope that plug-in authors will update their plug-ins for GIMP 2.2 and adapt the GUI and API changes we did with this version.

It might turn out that we have to do some late changes to the newly added API before the final 2.2.0 release, so don't consider the API strictly frozen yet. The API is however guaranteed to be backward compatible (source and binary) with the GIMP 2.0 API. If you find that your 2.0 plug-in breaks when used with the GIMP 2.2 libraries, or if you cannot compile a GIMP 2.0 plug-in against the GIMP 2.2 header files, please report that as a bug.

Of course we couldn't resist to add some new features since 2.2-pre1 So here's the list of the latest changes:

- More work on GFig (still more to come here).

- Improvements and fixes to the migration of user settings.

- Final touches to the new PDB APIs.

- Ported some more item factories to GtkUIManager.

- Added new PDB function gimp_layer_from_mask().

- User interface cleanup in IFS Fractal plug-in (former IfsCompose).

- Allow file plug-ins to provide a way to access an image thumbnail if the file format provides one or can be rendered at small sizes.

- Load and save EXIF thumbnails in JPEG files.

- Render in small resolution when creating a thumbnail for a Postscript or PDF document or from an SVG or WMF image file.

- Allow to import Photoshop (.act) palette files.

- Added a Print Size dialog to bring back missing functionality from 2.0.

- Several improvements to the GIMP Python bindins.

- Guard the core better against misbehaving scripts and plug-ins.

- Changed the way that Script-Fu scripts register their menus (in a backward compatible way).

- Added ALSA support for the MIDI controller module.

- Resurrected the glob plug-in.

- Lots of bug fixes and some optimizations.

Contributors:

Michael Natterer, Sven Neumann, David Odin, Manish Singh, Kevin Cozens, Joao S. O. Bueno, Geert Jordaens, Yeti, Karine Proot, Øyvind Kolås, Simon Budig

Sven

Tom Williams
2004-11-21 03:55:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I'm getting this result running "make check" to test Gimp 2.2-pre2 build:

Running gimp_composite_3dnow tests... gimp_composite_3dnow: Instruction set is not available. PASS: gimp-composite-3dnow-test
PASS: gimp-composite-altivec-test

Running gimp_composite_mmx tests... FAIL: gimp-composite-mmx-test

Running gimp_composite_sse tests... gimp_composite_sse: Instruction set is not available. PASS: gimp-composite-sse-test

Running gimp_composite_sse2 tests... gimp_composite_sse2: Instruction set is not available. PASS: gimp-composite-sse2-test
PASS: gimp-composite-vis-test
===================================================================== 1 of 6 tests failed
Please report to http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GIMP ===================================================================== make[3]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/build/gimp-2.2-pre2/app/composite' make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/gimp-2.2-pre2/app/composite' make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/build/gimp-2.2-pre2/app' make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
tom@linux:~/build/gimp-2.2-pre2$ gcc --version gcc (GCC) 3.4.3
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

tom@linux:~/build/gimp-2.2-pre2$ pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0 2.4.7
tom@linux:~/build/gimp-2.2-pre2$ pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0 2.4.13
tom@linux:~/build/gimp-2.2-pre2$ ldd --version ldd (GNU libc) 2.3.2
Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper. tom@linux:~/build/gimp-2.2-pre2$

A bug report has been submitted.

Peace...

Tom

olivier ripoll
2004-11-24 10:09:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

[...]
- Improvements and fixes to the migration of user settings.

[...] Sven

Hi Sven,

I finally found time to compile the pre2, and I checked the migration process. It works now fine with this very tiny exception:

I used the small theme in gimp 2.0. On the first startup of gimp 2.2, the one directly following the user-install migration, the theme "displayed" is the default one. However, in the preferences, the theme selected is (correctly) the small theme. If I close gimp and restart it, the theme displayed is now correct (small).

On another topic, although my system is now different from the previous one (I now have a mandrake 10.1, so new compiler, new libraries), I still have the issue I mentionned earlier with the IFS compose plugin. doing, undoing (ctrl-z), and repeating (filters->repeat, not reshow) result in nothing being displayed in the image window, instead of the expected fratal pattern. Could it be related to my processor (Athlon)?

Regards,

Olivier.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-24 13:20:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

olivier ripoll writes:

I finally found time to compile the pre2, and I checked the migration process. It works now fine with this very tiny exception:

I used the small theme in gimp 2.0. On the first startup of gimp 2.2, the one directly following the user-install migration, the theme "displayed" is the default one. However, in the preferences, the theme selected is (correctly) the small theme. If I close gimp and restart it, the theme displayed is now correct (small).

IIRC Mitch said that this is basically not fixable or at least not feasible to fix.

On another topic, although my system is now different from the previous one (I now have a mandrake 10.1, so new compiler, new libraries), I still have the issue I mentionned earlier with the IFS compose plugin. doing, undoing (ctrl-z), and repeating (filters->repeat, not reshow) result in nothing being displayed in the image window, instead of the expected fratal pattern. Could it be related to my processor (Athlon)?

How could such problems be related to your CPU?? Anyway, I don't remember that you mentioned such problems earlier. That's the problem with reporting bugs on the mailing-list instead of using Bugzilla. If you have such problems, you should file a bug report for it.

Sven

olivier ripoll
2004-11-24 13:46:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

olivier ripoll writes:

IIRC Mitch said that this is basically not fixable or at least not feasible to fix.

It is a minor thing anyway.

How could such problems be related to your CPU??

I was thinking about some compilation optimization. IFS being a fractal type plugin, I assume it contains some quite complicated mathematics. Thus the compilator may play a role there (Athlon FPU is different from Intel's one).

Anyway, I don't
remember that you mentioned such problems earlier. That's the problem with reporting bugs on the mailing-list instead of using Bugzilla. If you have such problems, you should file a bug report for it.

I reported this bug in a message called "Re: help needed with GIMP 2.2" dated October 11. I started this message saying this:

"So here is another "bug candidate" (i.e. I do not know if it qualifies as a bug, and it could be on my machine only). It is again a minor one anyway, so could be postponed for 2.4 (3.0?):"

You replied to this mail: "I cannot reproduce this here. IFS Compose does correctly repeat with the last used settings."

And I finally replied that I could reproduce it with gimp 2.0 to, but not with gimp 1.2, that was at that time the only not-home-compiled gimp I had. The thread ended there. I assumed it was related to one of my libraries. That's why I am surprised to see it again since I installed a new version of the system.

Regards,

Olivier.

PS: I will try (this evening I hope) with the binary Gimp 2.0.3 that came with Mandrake 10.1.

olivier ripoll
2004-11-25 13:42:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

olivier ripoll wrote:

PS: I will try (this evening I hope) with the binary Gimp 2.0.3 that came with Mandrake 10.1.

Follow up: The binary of gimp 2.0.3 has the same bug. So only gimp 1.2 was having this right on my computer.

Regards,

Olivier.

PS: I'll open a bug for this