RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Erasing to background color

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Erasing to background color DaveC 11 Sep 03:58
  Erasing to background color Ofnuts 11 Sep 10:08
  Erasing to background color RitzRather 11 Sep 21:07
   Erasing to background color DaveC 11 Sep 22:44
    Erasing to background color RitzRather 11 Sep 22:59
   Erasing to background color Rick Strong 12 Sep 18:16
DaveC
2016-09-11 03:58:06 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Ive started using Gimp editor just yesterday.

I read the on-line manual but cant find the answer to my question.

When I use the eraser to edit an imported pdf file, what remains is the checkerboard pattern, not the background color as indicated in the tool pallet.

How do I configure Gimp such that when I erase I see the background color?

Thanks, Dave

Gimp 2.8.14p2
OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks

Ofnuts
2016-09-11 10:08:51 UTC (over 7 years ago)

The checkerboard pattern is the standard way to indicate where you image is transparent (something has to be displayed...). It is not part of your image.

If you see transparency when you erase it's because the layer you are working on support transparency using an "alpha-channel" (it's name is not in boldface in the layers list). So there are trwo ay to do what you want:

1) Use the Layer>Transparency>Remove alpha channel. Then when you erase you get the background color. But this is typically the wrong way, because fixing things later are going to be difficult.

2) Layer>New layer and have it filled with the background color. Then Layer>Stack>Layer to bottom. You now see this background layer where your image layer is transparent. Don't forget to set your image layer active (otherwise erasure will happen on that background layer).

When you'll "File>Export" the image it will be flattened to one single layer, but it is usually a good idea to also "File>Save" the image (as XCF, then) to save the separate layers.

On 11/09/16 05:58, DaveC wrote:

When I use the eraser to edit an imported pdf file, what remains is the checkerboard pattern, not the background color as indicated in the tool pallet.

Thanks, Dave

Gimp 2.8.14p2
OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-09-11 21:07:56 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Thank you for this great group!

I have been stumped on a project that I have been working on all weekend.

I am attaching an image that is my inspiration. It is a McDonald's gift card with the french friends and a heart in the middle.

I want to recreate this image with a pattern of images and then insert a heart image. Then, I assume that I can just somehow delete the heart image and have that space now be clear to the transparent background of the image?

I know this is possible, but have no clue how to do. Please help me! Thank you so much in advance for your assistance!

Thanks,
Dave

Gimp 2.8.14p2
OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks

DaveC
2016-09-11 22:44:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Hello,
This is a new question, not an answer to the original question I asked.

When asking a new question, 1. Open a new mail message (Cmd-N usually) 2. type the Gimp mail list address
3. type the new subject
4. type your question
5. send it.

Do NOT ask your question by replying to another messagethis is known as HIJACKING a subject and is not appreciated. If youre not answering the original question, youre HIJACKING the subject.

-=-=-=-

I am attaching an image that is my inspiration. It is a McDonald's gift card with the french friends and a heart in the middle.

I want to recreate this image with a pattern of images and then insert a heart image. Then, I assume that I can just somehow delete the heart image and have that space now be clear to the transparent background of the image?

I know this is possible, but have no clue how to do. Please help me! Thank you so much in advance for your assistance!

Thanks,
Dave

Gimp 2.8.14p2
OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/273/original/McDonaldsHeartGiftCard.jpg

-- RitzRather (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-09-11 22:59:34 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Wow! So Sorry! I thought we were trying to do the same thing.... Are you stressed? Wishing you well!

Hello,
This is a new question, not an answer to the original question I asked.

When asking a new question, 1. Open a new mail message (Cmd-N usually) 2. type the Gimp mail list address
3. type the new subject
4. type your question
5. send it.

Do NOT ask your question by replying to another messagethis is known as HIJACKING a subject and is not appreciated. If youre not answering the original question, youre HIJACKING the subject.

-=-=-=-

Rick Strong
2016-09-12 18:16:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Try this:

If I understand you correctly, create a GIMP image with three layers.

- Top layer has the pattern of images. - Middle layer has a heart image.
- Bottom layer has something or nothing.

- Turn off the top layer and lock it. - Select just the heart on the middle layer. If you filled it with a solid colour you can select by colour.
- Go back to the top layer. Turn it on and unlock it. You should see the heart outline on the top layer.
- Delete the heart from the top layer. Your middle layer will show through the hole where the heart outline was. - Delete the middle layer and your bottom layer will show through. If you want to see right through to the transparency checkerboard, delete the bottom layer.

Hope that's what you want.

Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: RitzRather
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:07 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Erasing to background color

I am attaching an image that is my inspiration. It is a McDonald's gift card
with the french friends and a heart in the middle.

I want to recreate this image with a pattern of images and then insert a heart
image. Then, I assume that I can just somehow delete the heart image and have
that space now be clear to the transparent background of the image?

I know this is possible, but have no clue how to do. Please help me! Thank you
so much in advance for your assistance!