RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Download GIMP to a large (1.5TB) outside drive.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Download GIMP to a large (1.5TB) outside drive. Ro3bert 01 Sep 00:14
  Download GIMP to a large (1.5TB) outside drive. Ofnuts 02 Sep 10:23
   Download GIMP to a large (1.5TB) outside drive. Rick Strong 02 Sep 17:20
  Download GIMP to a large (1.5TB) outside drive. Michael Schumacher 02 Sep 17:35
  Download GIMP to a large (1.5TB) outside drive. Ro3bert 03 Sep 02:47
2016-09-01 00:14:24 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I want to load GIMP into an external drive. So far I have been unable to download it to my (H: 1.5TB) drive. The download process insists on loading it to the computers C: drive no matter what I try.

Is there any way to do this or am I stuck with the C: drive?

If it must be installed on the C: drive is there any easy way to put all Images/text to the H: drive and still be able to easily access the files?

Thanks Robert

Ofnuts
2016-09-02 10:23:07 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 01/09/16 02:14, Ro3bert wrote:

I want to load GIMP into an external drive. So far I have been unable to download it to my (H: 1.5TB) drive. The download process insists on loading it to the computers C: drive no matter what I try.

If it must be installed on the C: drive is there any easy way to put all Images/text to the H: drive and still be able to easily access the files?

Thanks Robert

Download or install? Is the H: drive removable?

I don't know the Windows version well but in the Linux file dialogs you can add you favorite directories for quick access.

Rick Strong
2016-09-02 17:20:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I have most of my photo files on an external drive (Win 7).

When you click File > Open, you will see a tree directory on the left-hand side that lists all your drives. Click on your external dive letter to get that drive and to see a list of the folders in it. You can also navigate down that drive to find the folder/file that you want.

Down at the bottom left you will see a space under a separator line. By clicking on the plus sign "+" you can add a shortcut down there directly to any folder or file you have chosen on that drive (or any other drive you have selected). Theses shortcuts can also be deleted by clicking on the minus "-" sign.

On the right-hand panel of the "Open" dialogue, you can see a preview of a file. Click on a file name, then click on the panel to view.

Hope that helps.

Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: Ofnuts
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2016 6:23 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Download GIMP to a large (1.5TB) outside drive.

On 01/09/16 02:14, Ro3bert wrote:

I want to load GIMP into an external drive. So far I have been unable to download it to my (H: 1.5TB) drive. The download process insists on loading it
to the computers C: drive no matter what I try.

Thanks Robert

Download or install? Is the H: drive removable?

I don't know the Windows version well but in the Linux file dialogs you can add you favorite directories for quick access.

Michael Schumacher
2016-09-02 17:35:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 09/01/2016 02:14 AM, Ro3bert wrote:

You shouldn't use the terms "download" and "install" interchangeably. This will lead to misunderstandings.

Your browser will allow you to put downloads anywhere, although it might have been set up (or you might have set it up) to put downloaded files into a specific directory without asking.

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the fact that the GIMP installer won't let you choose where to install GIMP. It does this if it detects that GIMP is already installed on your system, and then uses the same directory.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2016-09-03 02:47:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Thanks to all who responded especially to Michael Schumacher. I deleted GIMP altogether and re-downloaded it. When I installed it the download window allowed me to select where I wanted to put it. So thanks again to all who responded; I finally have it where I want it (in the H: drive [external drive]).

Thanks Robert