RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Print layout not keeping track ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Print layout not keeping track ? Gwenouille 25 Aug 17:48
  Print layout not keeping track ? Steve Kinney 26 Aug 19:04
  Print layout not keeping track ? Gwenouille 27 Aug 08:54
2016-08-25 17:48:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Hello !

I have spent the last 3 hours trying to print an image properly under Windows 7. If I use the print command under Windows' explorer, I get that crap assistant that is always streching pictures to fit the paper. So I wanted to stick to GIMP, and print my little 5cm × 4cm image onto a 10x15 paper.

But no matter how many times i tried, it is impossible to specify the layout as being something different from A4. I go to FIle -> Layout (underneath the "print" line) and specify 4"×6" (10x15), press OK and that doesn't stay this way ! If i re-open the dialog, it is back to square 1, A4.

All in all, I find printing the right size to be a perfect nightmare: either Windows 7 messes up with its assistant, or GIMP can't stick to one layout, or CANON's drivers are a mess…

In the meantime, what I did is open an exported image with xnView: there the very same "layout" dialog keeps track of what I say and helps…

Steve Kinney
2016-08-26 19:04:42 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 08/25/2016 01:48 PM, Gwenouille wrote:

Hello !

I have spent the last 3 hours trying to print an image properly under Windows 7. If I use the print command under Windows' explorer, I get that crap assistant that is always streching pictures to fit the paper. So I wanted to stick to GIMP, and print my little 5cm × 4cm image onto a 10x15 paper.

But no matter how many times i tried, it is impossible to specify the layout as being something different from A4. I go to FIle -> Layout (underneath the "print" line) and specify 4"×6" (10x15), press OK and that doesn't stay this way ! If i re-open the dialog, it is back to square 1, A4.

All in all, I find printing the right size to be a perfect nightmare: either Windows 7 messes up with its assistant, or GIMP can't stick to one layout, or CANON's drivers are a mess…

In the meantime, what I did is open an exported image with xnView: there the very same "layout" dialog keeps track of what I say and helps…

In 15 years I have never had any success printing files directly from the GIMP, and previous threads here suggest that this is because the function is unsupported due to lack of interest. Image files intended for electronic publication don't normally have to be printed, and image files created for print purposes are normally embedded in document files of one kind or another before they are printed.

Supporting a wide range of printers is way out of scope for the GIMP project. Defeating deliberate sabotage by an operating system vendor, i.e. Microsoft as described above, is strictly up to the end user.

What I do, along with apparently everyone else, is export images for print in a lossless format (png is good) at the size and resolution needed, and import that file into a word processor or desktop publishing program document to position it on the page, along with other images, text etc. if required, then print it. My preferred tool is Scribus: Import the image file into a Scribus document, configure it on the page as required, export the Scribus document to PDF and viola: Reliable, predictable results from any printer that works.

https://www.scribus.net/downloads/stable-branch/

:o)

2016-08-27 08:54:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

OK, glad to see I am not the only one…

I didn't know it was such a common problem, nor that it would require such extreme measures as using scribus to print a simple image file… I like scribus a lot, that's a good idea indeed !

Thanks a lot !