RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp not seeing local en_GB help

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp not seeing local en_GB help NickP 28 Jul 08:19
  Gimp not seeing local en_GB help Rick Strong 28 Jul 15:56
  Gimp not seeing local en_GB help KevinT 04 Oct 08:56
2016-07-28 08:19:52 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I installed Gimp 2.8.16 (from gimp-2.8.16-setup.exe) and Gimp-help 2.8.2 (from gimp-help-2-2.8.2-en_GB-setup.exe) on Windows. Both were installed to the folder "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2". However, when I run Gimp and select Help from the Help menu, I get a dialog telling me that "The gimp user manual is not installed on your computer", and giving me the option to use the online version. When I have a look under "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2", the help files have been installed to "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\en_GB".

On a hunch I renamed en_GB to en, and the help system then works. So it looks like the British English help cannot be seen by Gimp unless it's install folder is renamed.

Rick Strong
2016-07-28 15:56:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Thanks for that, Nick. I had the same problem for the same reason and changing the folder to "en" corrected it.

Here's another tip: To get "Context Help", FIRST you click on "Context Help", then go back and click on the TOOL you want help with.

OR, if you have already chosen a tool, click on "Context Help", then go back and click on one of the TOOL OPTIONS for the tool you have going.

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: NickP
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:19 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Gimp not seeing local en_GB help

I installed Gimp 2.8.16 (from gimp-2.8.16-setup.exe) and Gimp-help 2.8.2 (from
gimp-help-2-2.8.2-en_GB-setup.exe) on Windows. Both were installed to the folder
"C:\Program Files\GIMP 2". However, when I run Gimp and select Help from the Help menu, I get a dialog telling me that "The gimp user manual is not installed
on your computer", and giving me the option to use the online version. When I
have a look under "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2", the help files have been installed
to "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\en_GB".

On a hunch I renamed en_GB to en, and the help system then works. So it looks
like the British English help cannot be seen by Gimp unless it's install folder
is renamed.

NickP (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
KevinT
2016-10-04 08:56:33 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Thanks Nick

This problem has plagued me every single time I have installed GIMP.

-- View this message in context: http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Gimp-not-seeing-local-en-GB-help-tp48299p48753.html Sent from the Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.