RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.24490.1468519155.24... 15 Jul 10:09
  gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11 Sam Ashley 15 Jul 10:04
   gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11 Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Jul 10:20
Sam Ashley
2016-07-15 10:04:20 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Is there an official ubuntu PPA for gimp?? Or one that's from the people developing gimp?

I'd like to install a version of gimp that has more than 8 bits/color channel and wonder about the best way to do that.

Alternately if anybody has compiling advice, like a step by step tutorial, that could be another way. I've compiled small things, but long ago. Never a program for a linux distro.

I'm using ubuntu studio 16.04 64 bit.

Thanks in advance.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016, at 19:59, gimp-user-list-request@gnome.org wrote:

Send gimp-user-list mailing list submissions to gimp-user-list@gnome.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-list-request@gnome.org

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-list-owner@gnome.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of gimp-user-list digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.9.4 released (Rick Strong) 2. Re: [Gimp-developer] ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.9.4 released (C R) 3. Positioning an image. (MikeS) 4. Positioning an image. (MikeS) 5. the Gimp prompt bar font color seem to wrong (juek) 6. Tool tips don't work ver 2.8 (outzider) 7. Two different Wacom tablets - Pressure Sensitivity (Lancer)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 13:32:24 -0400 From: "Rick Strong"
To: "Michael Natterer" , "GIMP Developer" , "GIMP User"

Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.9.4 released Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="utf-8"; reply-type=original

Wow! That's quite a list of changes. Kudos to all involved. Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Natterer
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:12 PM To: GIMP Developer ; GIMP User
Subject: [Gimp-user] ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.9.4 released

Hi,

We just released the second development snapshot in the GIMP 2.9.x series leading to GIMP 2.10.

This is an unstable development preview and might crash or do whatever. If you try it for work, please save your images more often.

For a complete list of changes since 2.9.2 please see the "Changes" section below. We will also post more detailed news about GIMP 2.9 on www.gimp.org soon, stay tuned.

Happy GIMPing, --Mitch

---SNIP---

------------------------------

To: Michael Natterer
Cc: GIMP User , GIMP Developer
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] [Gimp-developer] ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.9.4 released
Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Thanks to everyone for making this happen! I'm certainly looking forward to
trying out the new toys, fixes and revisions.

Cheers, and great work! -C

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

Hi,

We just released the second development snapshot in the GIMP 2.9.x series leading to GIMP 2.10.

This is an unstable development preview and might crash or do whatever. If you try it for work, please save your images more often.

For a complete list of changes since 2.9.2 please see the "Changes" section below. We will also post more detailed news about GIMP 2.9 on www.gimp.org soon, stay tuned.

Happy GIMPing, --Mitch

Download
========

GIMP 2.9.4 is available from:

http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.9/

and from the mirrors listed at:

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/#mirrors

Please use the torrent, it distributes the download bandwidth across all mirrors:

http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.9/gimp-2.9.4.tar.bz2.torrent

The checksum of the tarball is:

6b3d425a7949110eeb532badedf721f3 gimp-2.9.4.tar.bz2

Overview of Changes from GIMP 2.9.2 to GIMP 2.9.4 =================================================

Core:

Color Management: - add new GimpColorTransform object to create abstraction from LittleCMS
- now color-managed:
- layer/image/color palette/gradient/pattern previews - Color Picker tool
- color buttons of GimpColorHistory - GimpFgBgEditor, as used e.g. in the toolbox - color selectors
- DND widget
- painting tools
- copying layers/paste buffer between images - Colors applied to images
- GimpColorPanel and its color dialog (color widgets in dialogs) - color areas created from menu actions - color management for grayscale images, including setting preferred ICC profile
- add fast switching between color managed display and soft-proofing - add a per-image "is color managed" switch and show the image's "is color managed" state in the window title string - add basic support for creating images with color profiles - add "Optimize" options for display and soft-proofing to optionally speed-up rendering at the cost of color fidelity - add Image -> Color Management -> Save Color Profile to File... - improve the naming of generated ICC profiles - add a shortcut to the profile chooser dialog on OS X too - don't let display color management settings affect file import - enable color management when a profile is assigned to the image - enable color management when the image is converted from/to grayscale
- pass the right color profile around in gimp_selection_float() - hardcode the CMYK selector's conversion parameters, as well as NTSC parameters in babl/GEGL/GIMP
- have all previews track the monitor they are on

Core: - add "Select -> Flood" select action - add "Select -> Remove Holes" action - add "Border style" combo to the "Select -> Border..." dialog - do not request xcf compat mode when compat_toggle not sensitive - initialize fontconfig in the background to be able to show a pulsing progress bar when rebuilding the list of fonts (typically, the first time GIMP runs)
- fix the Behind blending mode
- make Burn mode output match Gimp 2.8 (partial revert of bug 744265) - improve file magic matching
- add a custom guide concept
- improve updating the statusbar messages and icons

GUI:

Menus: - move the image-duplicate action next to image-new - add Image -> Color Management -> Color Management Enabled - change "Select _Custom Color..." to "_Custom Color..." - change "Export" to "Export..." in the File menu

Dialogs: - include recently used colors in the Dockable Colors dialog - add RGB-based Luminance channel to the Histogram dialog - fix remembering the order of dockable dialogs

Preferences: - reorder the prefs categories tree and rename some pages - move "Snap Distance" to the prefs dialog's "Snapping" page - add configuration for undo preview size - clean-up Preferences -> Color Management - add "Shortcut [some modifier] + Mousewheel" for changing pen size

Themes: - rename theme "Default" into "System" - add new GUI themes: Lighter, Light, Gray, Dark, Darker

Icons: - add icon theme selection and make the icon theme path configurable in prefs
- preserve 2.8 pixel-perfect icon theme under the name "Legacy" - add new symbolic icon theme for GIMP - add a scalable icon theme and a configure option --enable-vector- icons

Widgets:
- add new GimpBufferSourceBox widget and use it in GimpOperationTool

View/Display: - fix various bugs related to rotated canvas - make GIMP not ignore 'Maximized' hints on startup in Windows - enable a pulsing progress bar in the splash - make new images jump around much less - fix image position when entering/leaving fullscreen mode - make layer boundary re-drawn correctly on scrolling - make images not appear completely black when images dockable is visible
- have all previews track the monitor they are on

Tools:

Fuzzy Select: - add "Diagonal neighbors" option

Foreground Select: - fix ghost brush outline

Bucket Fill: - add "Diagonal neighbors" option

Posterize: - turn the posterize tool into an ordinary GEGL filter - remove posterize from Tools -> Colors

Desaturate: - turn the Desaturate tool into a normal GEGL filter - move "Desaturate" to Colors -> Desaturate

Align: - add vertical offset to distribution options

Paths: - improve performance

Flip: - rename options to "Transform" and "Direction"

Cage Transform: - fix a few performance issue

Unified Transform: - make the tool not fail when currently selected layer is hidden

Text: - fix text input methods to work in-place (not in an overlayed box) - add background colors setting, only exposed for advanced input methods

Blend:
- use gegl:distance-transform in the blend tool, it has a progress now
- make shapeburst work with the new interactive gradient code

All Painting Tools: - add mirror symmetry
- remove artifacts from painting tools in Burn blending mode - add shortcut actions for changing spacing, hardness, and force

MyPaint: - dramatically improve performance of the tool and enable it by default
- add Colorize mode
- add a toggle to change between erase & paint mode - add a brush selector to the MyPaint brush options - add a dockable dialog to choose a brush, with tagging - read tags from MyPaint brushes
- improve blend math
- allow plug-ins to register procedures in the menu

Smudge: - fix the clipping of out-of-gamut channel values - fix the handling of layers with alpha channels

Ink: - the range of angle is now [-PI..PI]

Plug-ins/GEGL Filters:

Preview: - add a "split preview" feature to GEGL ops - allow to switch the split preview between horizontal and vertical - allow to swap the before/after position

Filters: - update the "Recently used" menu with GEGL filters - replace Selective Gaussian Blur with the GEGL version - add gegl:saturation as Colors -> Saturation - add gegl:high-pass as Filters > Enhance > High Pass - add new gegl:gegl filter that executes a custom processing chain - port Tile and Pagecurl plug-ins to GEGL - refactor the screenshot plug-in into backend and front-ends, one per X.org, Wayland, Windows, OS X - add Monochrome option to the GEGL version of Channel Mixer - bring dialog titles and help IDs to GEGL filter dialogs

File Plug-Ins: - add darktable plug-in to pre-process varios raw images - port file-gif-save and file-tiff to GIO - TIFF support:
- make libtiff a hard dependency - merge the file-tiff-load and file-tiff-save plug-ins - fix various tiff exporting bugs - EXR support:
- read comment, Exif, and XMP data from EXR files - use GIMP's internal profile when loading EXR - PSD support:
- fix the loading of files with adjustment or fill layers - fix the reading of layer group structure - fix the raw image loader
- fix the layer groups support in OpenRaster - code cleanup in file-bmp
- fix the exporting of KISS - CELL (*.cel) images - resurrect the email plugin
- use GIO to figure if a file is hidden

PyGimp: - update pyconsole code
- add binding for GimpImageType
- add GimpColorConfig object
- add type definition for GimpColorManaged - make GimpParasite type known to the code generator - require Pycairo in configure, link gimpui against pycairo - fix the application of paintbrush size in Python scripts

Script-Fu: - make regex matching return character indexes - fix the hanging of Script-fu on machines with 64-bit longs - update tinyscheme code from upstream

PDB:

- Bug 759104 - Allow coordinates of sample points to be accessed from scripts

Build:

build/win: - Start building libmypaint.
- Add pcre and upgrade glib2 to 2.48.1 - Upgrade exiv2 to 0.25
- Clear DISPLAY before building
- Disable webkitgtk

OS-specific changes:

Windows: - Add support for generating crash backtraces using Dr. MingW

Contributors ============

Adrian Likins, Alexandre Prokoudine, Alexia Death, Andrew Worsley, Benoit Touchette, Carol Spears, Daniel Sabo, Ell, Elle Stone, Hartmut Kuhse, Jasper Krijgsman, Jehan, Jonathan Tait, Jo?o S. O. Bueno, Kevin Cozens, Kristian Rietveld, Massimo Valentini, Michael Henning, Michael Natterer, Michael Schumacher, Mukund Sivaraman, Pedro Gimeno, Piotr Dr?g, Richard Hughes, Richard Kreckel, Shmuel H, Simon Budig, Sven Claussner, Thomas Manni, Tobias Ellinghaus, draekko, klausstaedtler, nmat, saul, ?yvind Kol?s.

Translators
===========

A S Alam, Alexandre Prokoudine, Ask Hjorth Larsen, Bal?zs Mesk?, Bal?zs ?r, Christian Kirbach, C?dric Valmary, Daniel Korostil, Daniel Mustieles, Dimitris Spingos, Du?an Kazik, Eugene Kuligin, G?bor Kelemen, Hartmut Kuhse, J.M. Ruetter, Jehan, Jordi Mas, Khaled Hosny, Marco Ciampa, Mario Bl?ttermann, Martin Srebotnjak, Michael Natterer, M?nica Canizo, Necdet Y?cel, Pedro Albuquerque, Piotr Dr?g, Richard Kreckel, R?dolfs Mazurs, Sebastian Rasmussen, Sveinn ? Felli, Tiago Santos, Tobias Ellinghaus, Yolanda ?lvarez P?rez, klausstaedtler, kolbjoern, ????? ???????.

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Message: 3 Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:13:40 +0200 From: MikeS
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Positioning an image. Message-ID:

No, you don't create a layer and paste an image in it, you use either "Edit>Paste as>New layer" or "File>Open as layers" and pick the image file using the file selector. In both cases you end up with your image in a new layer. As long as that image remains on a layer distinct from the rest, moving and scaling it shouldn't be a problem.

Shouldn't be a problem... Hmmm.
I've used "File-Open As layer" before. That how I wound up with the new layer/image in the center of my work area. Moving it IS the problem. I don't
know how. IN the attached example, I need to enlarge the image and move it to
the right.
I'm trying to understand how to do that.

Attachments: *
http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/255/original/The_Loft-Facebook_Banner-2016-05-25.png

-- MikeS (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Message: 4 Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:46:42 +0200 From: MikeS
Subject: [Gimp-user] Positioning an image. Message-ID:

Shouldn't be a problem... Hmmm.
I've used "File-Open As layer" before. That how I wound up with the new layer/image in the center of my work area. Moving it IS the problem. I don't know how. IN the attached example, I need to enlarge the image and move it to the right.
I'm trying to understand how to do that.

Found it !!!
Would not have expected it to be buried so deep in a menu structure (I'd have
expected "Move" to be and option under "Edit", but Now that I've found it, it
works great.

--
MikeS (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Subject: [Gimp-user] the Gimp prompt bar font color seem to wrong Message-ID:

Hello everyone! My operating system is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE desktop.And the GIMP version is
I can't see the Gimp prompt bar font, just like that screenshot. there are any solutions to it?
Thanks everybody!

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/256/original/gimp.png

-- juek (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Message: 6 Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:40:22 +0200 From: outzider
Subject: [Gimp-user] Tool tips don't work ver 2.8 Message-ID:

I suppose you are using KDE?

If so, go to "System Settings" - "Color" - "Options" and uncheck "Apply colors
to non-Qt applications", that should fix it.

-- outzider (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Message: 7 Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 04:31:04 +0200 From: Lancer
Subject: [Gimp-user] Two different Wacom tablets - Pressure Sensitivity
Message-ID:

I am a Digital Technology teacher, wanting to use Gimp for some graphic design
work. For reasons that I can't reverse we have two sets of Wacom tablet models
in the class:
Intuos pen tablet - CTL-480
Intuos Draw tablet - CTL-490/W0

(fyi: we asked for "the same" but were our order hit a time when one model went
out of stock so ended up with half of each model.)

When either of the tablets are in, both of them show pressure sensitivity is
correctly detected in the Wacom control panel (as I press harder the bar goes
up).
When I use Adobe Photoshop, pressure sensitivity is working for either tablet.

At this point the company who got two sets of tablet in for our order says they
both work and that we should be happy with their service.

But in Gimp 2.8, it seems that either of the tablets may work (first time) but
once the have both been used, only the CTL-490/W0 model works with pressure
sensitivity, all the while the Wacom Control Panel and Photoshop both say either
tablet is fine. I have gone through and Edit => Input Devices to disable and
then re-enable the pen pressure but the CTL-480 won't regain pressure sensitivity.

This seems to be a Gimp issue as the Wacom Control Panel and Adobe Photoshop
work with pressure sensitivity just fine.

... How can I fix this problem so that student will be able to use either of the
Wacom tablet models?

Thanks in advance.

-- Lancer (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

End of gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11 **********************************************

http://www.fastmail.com - The way an email service should be
Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-07-15 10:20:22 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Sam Ashley wrote:

Is there an official ubuntu PPA for gimp?? Or one that's from the people developing gimp?

No.

Alternately if anybody has compiling advice, like a step by step tutorial, that could be another way.

http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Building/Linux

Alex