RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Margins for printing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Margins for printing John_D 11 Jul 17:25
  Margins for printing Steve Kinney 12 Jul 23:00
   Margins for printing Richard 15 Jul 04:30
    Margins for printing John_D 15 Jul 22:05
     Margins for printing Richard 17 Jul 03:09
2016-07-11 17:25:20 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Margins for printing

The "File/Print/Image settings" tab allows for specifying "centered" or for setting top and left margins, and the image in the preview pane adjusts accordingly; but when printed these settings have no effect: the image is always at top left.

I must be missing something?

GIMP 2.8.16, Windows 10, Canon MG5550

Steve Kinney
2016-07-12 23:00:04 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Margins for printing

On 07/11/2016 01:25 PM, John_D wrote:

The "File/Print/Image settings" tab allows for specifying "centered" or for setting top and left margins, and the image in the preview pane adjusts accordingly; but when printed these settings have no effect: the image is always at top left.

If so, I have been missing the same thing for years. Maybe somebody on the developer team can cast some light on this.

Meanwhile, I import images made in the GIMP into a Scribus document, using guide lines on the Scribus canvas to set margins, and export the page(s) as PDF. This method does work, enables one to print with any printer via any operating system, and provides advantages in terms of the ability to lay out pages with multiple images, text, etc.

:o)

Richard
2016-07-15 04:30:40 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Margins for printing

To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 19:00:04 -0400 Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Margins for printing

On 07/11/2016 01:25 PM, John_D wrote:

If so, I have been missing the same thing for years. Maybe somebody on the developer team can cast some light on this.

Meanwhile, I import images made in the GIMP into a Scribus document, using guide lines on the Scribus canvas to set margins, and export the page(s) as PDF. This method does work, enables one to print with any printer via any operating system, and provides advantages in terms of the ability to lay out pages with multiple images, text, etc.

:o)

This actually has been a known bug for almost 10 years running; currently the only (in-GIMP) workaround is to pad your image canvas size out by the desired margin.

Bugzilla report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=562619 (since 2008)

(The centering option technically does work fine, since all it does is calculate the corresponding print margins; it's the print margins themselves that are the problem.)

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

2016-07-15 22:05:59 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Margins for printing

Thank you. For someone whose typical use is to tweak and crop an image and then, often, print it, that seems a rather fundamental bug: it is a pain to have to use two applications for a simple task. I came to GIMP because my trusty Picture Publisher, obtained many years ago from a CD on the back of a magazine, doesn't work with Windows 10. However, I have now found Paint.net, which (via an add-on) does have the ability to place an image on the paper. If, one day in the future, that stops working with Windows 15. I'll come back and see whether this bug has been fixed! Cheers, John_D

Richard
2016-07-17 03:09:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Margins for printing

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 00:05:59 +0200 From: forums@gimpusers.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
CC: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Margins for printing

For someone whose typical use is to tweak and crop an image and then, often, print it, that seems a rather fundamental bug....

John_D (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Well, the GIMP workaround is simple enough: once you've decided on a print resolution, pad your image canvas out by the desired margins. It's not precise but it works.

I don't understand how this occurs either (there seems to be a 10:1 ratio between the specified print margin and actual result), but I don't think the GIMP devteam in general really does either given their dearth of Windows developers. And while I'm generally willing to dive into some source files and see if I can spot something relevant, not knowing what I should even be looking for is a huge problem.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.