RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Sally Davies 06 Jul 08:57
  GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Simon Budig 06 Jul 22:55
   GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Steve Kinney 06 Jul 23:23
    GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Joao S. O. Bueno 07 Jul 14:19
     GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Steve Kinney 07 Jul 15:16
      GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Rick Strong 07 Jul 22:35
       GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Sally Davies 10 Jul 15:11
  GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus? Michael Schumacher 07 Jul 23:16
Sally Davies
2016-07-06 08:57:00 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

I've recently installed GIMP - in June 2016. My antivirus software is AVG. It has picked up corrupted GIMP files, saying that there is a generic virus involved:

Generic virus is a potential threat. Threats, when malicious, can be used to interfere with the normal operation of a computer, gather personal information or allow a hacker to access the device remotely without the user's consent.
This kind of software usually arrives in the form of an unwanted download from a malicious website or as code illegally injected into a legitimate website without the webmaster's knowledge. It can also be received as an email attachment or an instant message from an untrusted source.

It was not clear from the GIMP website where to send an email relating to a suspected virus, so I'm trying this address. I attach a Word document containing screen grabs showing the affected files.

I have deleted the files and GIMP still seems to work (for my purposes at least). However, this virus issue is a concern. I would be grateful if you could look into this and fix it.

Regards

Sally Davies

Sally Davies

Freelance Editorial Services

Email: sa.davies@talktalk.net

Simon Budig
2016-07-06 22:55:40 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Hi Sally.

Sally Davies (sa.davies@talktalk.net) wrote:

I've recently installed GIMP - in June 2016. My antivirus software is AVG. It has picked up corrupted GIMP files, saying that there is a generic virus involved:

Where exactly did you download Gimp?

Please note that there are tons of download sites, that might very well host a malware-injected package of gimp. We strongly encourage downloading from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ for that very reason.

I hope this helps, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Steve Kinney
2016-07-06 23:23:59 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 07/06/2016 06:55 PM, Simon Budig wrote:

Hi Sally.

Please note that there are tons of download sites, that might very well host a malware-injected package of gimp. We strongly encourage downloading from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ for that very reason.

I might add that "generic virus" appears to indicate that heuristics detected something that looks like a virus (or worm or exploit or...) to AVG but is not in its virus signature database. AVG itself has a history of "downhill progress" over the last several years and I have recently seen indications that it tends to throw false positive virus warnings.

I would recommend uninstalling AVG and replacing it with Avast, as a first step in troubleshooting "generic" virus reports from AVG. Needless to say, download programs only from the websites of their original makers, etc. etc.

:o)

Joao S. O. Bueno
2016-07-07 14:19:23 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 6 July 2016 at 20:23, Steve Kinney wrote:

On 07/06/2016 06:55 PM, Simon Budig wrote:

Hi Sally.

I might add that "generic virus" appears to indicate that heuristics detected something that looks like a virus (or worm or exploit or...) to AVG but is not in its virus signature database. AVG itself has a history of "downhill progress" over the last several years and I have recently seen indications that it tends to throw false positive virus warnings.

I would recommend uninstalling AVG and replacing it with Avast, as a first step in troubleshooting "generic" virus reports from AVG. Needless to say, download programs only from the websites of their original makers, etc. etc.

It looks like Avast is replacing AVG with Avast: http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/07/avast-acquires-rival-avg-for-1-3-billion-to-create-a-security-software-giant/

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Steve Kinney
2016-07-07 15:16:54 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 07/07/2016 10:19 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

It looks like Avast is replacing AVG with Avast: http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/07/avast-acquires-rival-avg-for-1-3-billion-to-create-a-security-software-giant/

I seem to recall something about AVG getting bought & sold a couple of times during the process of its deterioration. Last I heard Avast was still working tolerably well. I also hear good things about Kaspersky, but have never seen it in action.

It's been a couple of years since I messed with any of the above, and then, only when cleaning out other people's machines. The problems all of the above attempt to control are unique to Microsoft products, and I ran out of practical uses for those a decade or so ago.

Rick Strong
2016-07-07 22:35:03 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

I have used Kaspersky for several years now and found it to be very, very good.

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Kinney
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2016 11:16 AM Cc: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus?

I seem to recall something about AVG getting bought & sold a couple of times during the process of its deterioration. Last I heard Avast was still working tolerably well. I also hear good things about Kaspersky, but have never seen it in action.

It's been a couple of years since I messed with any of the above, and then, only when cleaning out other people's machines. The problems all of the above attempt to control are unique to Microsoft products, and I ran out of practical uses for those a decade or so ago.

Michael Schumacher
2016-07-07 23:16:28 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 07/06/2016 10:57 AM, Sally Davies wrote:

What files were this?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Sally Davies
2016-07-10 15:11:49 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Thanks. I did install GIMP from the official/proper GIMP website. I think AVG just picked up on corrupted files, which linked to a generic message although there was no virus.

Sally

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Strong [mailto:rnstrong@magma.ca] Sent: 07 July 2016 23:35
To: Steve Kinney
Cc: gimp-user-list@gnome.org; Sally Davies Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus?

I have used Kaspersky for several years now and found it to be very, very good.

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Kinney
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2016 11:16 AM Cc: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus?

It looks like Avast is replacing AVG with Avast:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/07/avast-acquires-rival-avg-for-1-3-billion-t o-create-a-security-software-giant/