RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Selection Lines Still Visible After Merge

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Selection Lines Still Visible After Merge Rick Snedeker 01 Jul 10:58
  Selection Lines Still Visible After Merge Rick Snedeker 01 Jul 11:04
   Selection Lines Still Visible After Merge Richard 02 Jul 01:05
Rick Snedeker
2016-07-01 10:58:13 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

There are 2 layers, a background and a 2nd. I selected a portion of the 2nd layer and added a layer mask > Selection > Invert. I then applied the layer mask which showed the intended image in the background layer below, but after a moment it refreshed and became obscured by the diagonal lines of my selection. My next step was to merge the 2nd layer into the background layer, which momentarily looked correct but again became obscured by the diagonal selection lines.

Do I need to flatten the image to make the selection lines go away?

—Rick

Rick Snedeker
2016-07-01 11:04:03 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Never mind — I unchecked Show Selection in the View menu and it went away. —Rick

On Jul 1, 2016, at 6:58 AM, Rick Snedeker wrote:

There are 2 layers, a background and a 2nd. I selected a portion of the 2nd layer and added a layer mask > Selection > Invert. I then applied the layer mask which showed the intended image in the background layer below, but after a moment it refreshed and became obscured by the diagonal lines of my selection. My next step was to merge the 2nd layer into the background layer, which momentarily looked correct but again became obscured by the diagonal selection lines.

Do I need to flatten the image to make the selection lines go away?

—Rick

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Richard
2016-07-02 01:05:08 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 07:04:03 -0400 To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Selection Lines Still Visible After Merge

Never mind I unchecked Show Selection in the View menu and it went away. Rick

Simply toggling "show selection mask" off isn't quite enough in GIMP as the selection is still present and will affect subsequent tool operations -- look for the "Select None" command in the Edit menu and memorize its keyboard shortcut.

This is because in GIMP, the selection mask (or simply 'selection') is an actual part of the image (independent of layers) and therefore remains in place until you explicitly tell GIMP to unselect. This is different from other applications (such as a word processor) where the selection isn't a 'thing' in and of itself and thus disappears automatically when you're no longer using it.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.