RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing the brush sizes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing the brush sizes Jim Horrocks 14 Jun 02:05
  Changing the brush sizes Ross Martinek 14 Jun 02:17
  Changing the brush sizes programmer_ceds 14 Jun 09:56
  Changing the brush sizes Steve Kinney 14 Jun 16:51
Jim Horrocks
2016-06-14 02:05:36 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Changing the brush sizes

How do you change the sizes of a brush? I knew but have been away from gimp for a little while and my memory not so good, now I can't remember what it is. Looking forward to hearing from the helpful users of gimp. I'm using 2.8

Ross Martinek
2016-06-14 02:17:50 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Changing the brush sizes

Tool Options dialog/Size—should be the first item after brush identification, second overall.

Ross

On Jun 13, 2016, at 9:05 PM, Jim Horrocks wrote:

How do you change the sizes of a brush? I knew but have been away from gimp for a little while and my memory not so good, now I can't remember what it is. Looking forward to hearing from the helpful users of gimp. I'm using 2.8 _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-06-14 09:56:43 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Changing the brush sizes

How do you change the sizes of a brush? I knew but have been away from gimp
for a little while and my memory not so good, now I can't remember what it
is. Looking forward to hearing from the helpful users of gimp. I'm using 2.8

Alternatively you could use the short-cut keys '[' and ']' to make the brush smaller and bigger respectively. Use the shift key in combination with these keys to increase the amount of change in the brush size.

Steve Kinney
2016-06-14 16:51:12 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Changing the brush sizes

On 06/13/2016 10:05 PM, Jim Horrocks wrote:

How do you change the sizes of a brush? I knew but have been away from gimp for a little while and my memory not so good, now I can't remember what it is. Looking forward to hearing from the helpful users of gimp. I'm using 2.8

There are simpler answers than this, but here's a post I made about changing brush sizes (and hardness) a couple of weeks ago:

I do a lot of photo editing and image authoring, so I spend a lot of time using Brush type tools in the GIMP. When I discovered that brushes can be resized "on the fly" via mouse + keyboard commands, my workflow changed radically - more speed, more precision, less stress. Changing brush hardness the same way completes the picture of a happier me.

A GIMP VBR variable brush scales with "perfect" resolution and has adjustable hardness because it is a vector, not a bitmap. The VBR brushes available in the basic set included with the GIMP did not suit me, so I made a few of my own: A circle, four ellipses with different orientations, a square and a diamond. Making them with the GIMP brush editor is trivially easy, but here they are for e-z download and installation:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/brushes.png

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/Variable-Brushes.zip

Just extract the brushes into your local ./.gimp2.8/brushes/ directory (or wherever yours is located), start the GIMP and open the brushes dialog: If you have not named any other brushes with strings of leading zeroes, the seven new variable brushes should be at the top of the list. (If you want them elsewhere, rename them; the GIMP sorts brushes alphabetically by file name.)

A set of general purpose GIMP variable brushes is only useful if you can "vary" them on demand. For that, configure this:

Go to Edit > Preferences > Input Controllers. Double click Main Mouse Wheel in the right pane in the dialog window to open its configuration dialog. You can chose other keyboard combinations if desired, these work well for me:

Find the Scroll Up (Alt) item in the list. Double click on it to change the default setting if any, and use the search box to find "Increase Brush Size." Double click this item in the list to set it. The top dialog box will close, leaving the General - Mouse Wheel one open.

As above, find and set the following options:

Scroll Up (Ctrl-Alt) - Decrease Hardness Scroll Down (Alt) - Decrease Brush Size Scroll Down (Ctrl-Alt) - Increase Hardness

That's it: Close out of the confifiguration menu and check out the variable brushes by painting in black on a white canvas: I find the keyboard command options I list easy to remember and and use. Your mileage may vary and if so, you can choose different keyboard and mouse wheel combinations.

I find the set of brushes provided above ideal for generic use (round), getting into tight corners (the ovals), and following rectilinear contours (the square & diamond). You may want different brushes; check out the GIMP brush editor and soon you will be making variable brushes suited to your unique needs.

Brushes etc. are hereby released under cc share-alike license, use them freely for any lawful or other purpose.

:o)

Steve