RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List 05 Jun 21:11
  GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List 05 Jun 21:13
   GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported Bob Long 06 Jun 00:28
    GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported Steve Kinney 06 Jun 06:22
     GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List 06 Jun 13:56
      GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List 08 Jun 12:24
YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List
2016-06-05 21:11:43 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Hello,

I have cross-compiled gimp-2.8.16 (from linux 32 bit to windows 32 bit).

It runs well on Windows 8.1, but when I do "File > Save As... > Save", I get the following popup window: "GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported"

Any idea what could be the cause?

Thank you. Best regards.

YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List
2016-06-05 21:13:38 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 23:11:43 +0200 YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:

Hello,

It runs well on Windows 8.1, but when I do "File > Save As... > Save", I get the following popup window: "GIMP Message Image type 'png' is not supported"

Thank you. Best regards.

Here is a screenshot of this popup window: http://yugiohjcj.free.fr/gimp-save-xcf-error-png-not-supported.png

Bob Long
2016-06-06 00:28:30 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote on 06/06/16 07:13:

Hello,

You need to do "File > Export..." when "saving" as non-XCF format.

Thank you.
Best regards.

Here is a screenshot of this popup window: http://yugiohjcj.free.fr/gimp-save-xcf-error-png-not-supported.png

My Web browser could not connect to that.

Bob Long

> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>
Steve Kinney
2016-06-06 06:22:04 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 06/05/2016 08:28 PM, Bob Long wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.
Best regards.

wget wgot it. It's a notification window with the title "GIMP Message," saying:

GIMP Message
Image type 'png' not supported

(OK button follows)

I checked my local notification by "saving" a PNG file with GIMP 2.8.10 on Mint. I got a bigger notification window, with the title "Extension Mismatch," saying:

You can use this dialog to save to the GIMP XCF format. Use File > Export to export to other file formats.

"Take me to the Export dialog" follows as an underlined hyperllink, and when clicked the notification window closes and replaces the Save dialog with the Export dialog.

(OK button follows)

If the notification dialog has not changed to the first one described above in GIMP 2.10.16, the problem sounds more like DLL Hell or something similar than export vs. save commands. Is your compiled version linked to a PNG library it knows how to find and use?

YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List
2016-06-06 13:56:37 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 02:22:04 -0400 Steve Kinney wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.
Best regards.

GIMP Message

(OK button follows)

I checked my local notification by "saving" a PNG file with GIMP 2.8.10 on Mint. I got a bigger notification window, with the title "Extension Mismatch," saying:

You can use this dialog to save to the GIMP XCF format. Use File > Export to export to other file formats.

"Take me to the Export dialog" follows as an underlined hyperllink, and when clicked the notification window closes and replaces the Save dialog with the Export dialog.

(OK button follows)

If the notification dialog has not changed to the first one described above in GIMP 2.10.16, the problem sounds more like DLL Hell or something similar than export vs. save commands. Is your compiled version linked to a PNG library it knows how to find and use?

Your "Extension Mismatch" notification window is not the same than mine. Your notification window appears because you try to save an image on GIMP in the PNG format. On GIMP, when you want to save an image you must use the XCF format. If you want to save in PNG format, you need to export the image instead of saving it. I am aware of that.

My notification window appears when I try to save an image on GIMP in the XCF format. I know it is confusing because I save in XCF format but the notification window is about the PNG format.

I don't think that GIMP is unable to find a DLL because if that was the case, the program would not run at all. When a DLL is missing, on Windows, I got a notification window telling me that I need a DLL.

So, I think that at compile time, GIMP or one of its dependencies requires the PNG library but can be compiled without it if not found. So, I think the PNG support is disabled for a program or a library (maybe GIMP or one of its dependencies). If you know a way to find what is the program/library that is not compiled with the PNG support please tell me because I have no idea.

YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List
2016-06-08 12:24:41 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:56:37 +0200 YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 02:22:04 -0400 Steve Kinney wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.
Best regards.

GIMP Message

(OK button follows)

(OK button follows)

Your "Extension Mismatch" notification window is not the same than mine. Your notification window appears because you try to save an image on GIMP in the PNG format. On GIMP, when you want to save an image you must use the XCF format. If you want to save in PNG format, you need to export the image instead of saving it. I am aware of that.

My notification window appears when I try to save an image on GIMP in the XCF format. I know it is confusing because I save in XCF format but the notification window is about the PNG format.

I don't think that GIMP is unable to find a DLL because if that was the case, the program would not run at all. When a DLL is missing, on Windows, I got a notification window telling me that I need a DLL.

So, I think that at compile time, GIMP or one of its dependencies requires the PNG library but can be compiled without it if not found. So, I think the PNG support is disabled for a program or a library (maybe GIMP or one of its dependencies). If you know a way to find what is the program/library that is not compiled with the PNG support please tell me because I have no idea.

I have checked all the dependencies of GIMP that I need to build in order to cross-compile GIMP: * atk-2.16.0
* babl-0.1.16
* bzip2-1.0.6
* cairo-1.14.6
* fontconfig-2.11.1
* freetype-2.4.10
* gdk-pixbuf2
* gegl-0.2.0
* gettext-0.19.7
* gimp-2.8.16
* glib-2.42.1
* gtk+2-2.24.28
* harfbuzz-1.2.3
* icu4c-56.1
* libffi-3.0.13
* libiconv-1.14
* libjpeg-v9b
* libpng-1.6.18
* libtiff-4.0.6
* libxml2-2.9.2
* pango-1.39.0
* pixman-0.32.6
* zlib-1.2.8

What I can see is that these dependencies have a configure option to enable the PNG support: * cairo-1.14.6 (--enable-png)
* gegl-0.2.0 (--with-libpng)
* gimp-2.8.16 (--with-libpng)
* pixman-0.32.6 (--enable-libpng)
* gdk-pixbuf2 (--with-libpng)

I have rebuilt these packages with the corresponding PNG option enabled but I still have the notification window on GIMP when I save in XCF format. Well, that's just a minor problem because the file is saved correctly but I am just wondering why this notification window about the PNG support appears.

Any idea?