RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

reassign F1 key shortcut

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

reassign F1 key shortcut MasterBooth 01 Jun 09:32
  reassign F1 key shortcut Steve Kinney 01 Jun 17:39
   reassign F1 key shortcut MasterBooth 02 Jun 09:49
    reassign F1 key shortcut Dale Manolakas 04 Jun 12:28
     reassign F1 key shortcut Steve Kinney 04 Jun 19:43
      reassign F1 key shortcut Jernej Simončič 04 Jun 20:42
       reassign F1 key shortcut Steve Kinney 04 Jun 22:19
        reassign F1 key shortcut Jernej Simončič 05 Jun 00:00
2016-06-01 09:32:58 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

reassign F1 key shortcut

I'm creating my own keyboard shortcuts in GIMP. I have reassigned a number of keys already and they are a great help.

I have tried to assign colors > levels to F1 and it does display F1 as the new shortcut and does no longer show F1 as the shortcut for Help, still when I press F1 it keeps opening up the help window... so what does it take to unbind Help from F1?

Also I have noticed that some keys like Tab can't be used to assign for shortcuts? Is that true, does this have a reason or am I missing something on how to do it?

Steve Kinney
2016-06-01 17:39:50 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

reassign F1 key shortcut

On 06/01/2016 05:32 AM, MasterBooth wrote:

I'm creating my own keyboard shortcuts in GIMP. I have reassigned a number of keys already and they are a great help.

I have tried to assign colors > levels to F1 and it does display F1 as the new shortcut and does no longer show F1 as the shortcut for Help, still when I press F1 it keeps opening up the help window... so what does it take to unbind Help from F1?

Also I have noticed that some keys like Tab can't be used to assign for shortcuts? Is that true, does this have a reason or am I missing something on how to do it?

I think the binding for F1 might be in your window manager / OS rather than the GIMP. I would check the keyboard shortcut configuration menu for your window manager ("Windows", Gnome, or etc), and unset F1 if it is used there.

Alt+F1 might be an acceptable alternative?

2016-06-02 09:49:25 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

reassign F1 key shortcut

I think the binding for F1 might be in your window manager / OS rather than the GIMP. I would check the keyboard shortcut configuration menu for your window manager ("Windows", Gnome, or etc), and unset F1 if it is used there.

Thanks - it probably is the OS overwriting my GIMP shortcut. I use Windows 10 and have just spent several houres tying to find out how to disable F1 (or all fn keys). Looks like it can't be done simply in Windows, you need to go to advanced startup and look for it in UEFI. I have done that after watching and reading tutorials, went through the complete menus of my AsRock UEFI but couldn't find the place to disable fn keys. This is really annoying, I have spent far more time on it than I should have and no results still :(

Dale Manolakas
2016-06-04 12:28:37 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

reassign F1 key shortcut

Thanks for the info.

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 1:20 AM, MasterBooth wrote:

>I think the binding for F1 might be in your window manager / OS rather

than the GIMP.  I would check the keyboard shortcut configuration menu for your window manager ("Windows", Gnome, or etc), and unset F1 if it is used there.

Thanks - it probably is the OS overwriting my GIMP shortcut. I use Windows 10 and have just spent several houres tying to find out how to disable F1 (or all fn keys). Looks like it can't be done simply in Windows, you need to go to advanced startup and look for it in UEFI. I have done that after watching and reading tutorials, went through the complete menus of my AsRock UEFI but couldn't find the place to disable fn keys. This is really annoying, I have spent far more time on it than I should have and no results still :(

MasterBooth (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Steve Kinney
2016-06-04 19:43:33 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

reassign F1 key shortcut

On 06/04/2016 08:28 AM, Dale Manolakas wrote:

Thanks for the info.

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 1:20 AM, MasterBooth wrote:

>I think the binding for F1 might be in your window manager / OS rather

than the GIMP. I would check the keyboard shortcut configuration menu for your window manager ("Windows", Gnome, or etc), and unset F1 if it is used there.

Damn. A window manager shortcut was interfering with the GIMP on my system a while back, it took me about three minutes to set that right, because Linux.

Toss another rock on the mountain weighing down the "Free Software" side of the scales.

:o/

Jernej Simončič
2016-06-04 20:42:51 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

reassign F1 key shortcut

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 15:43:33 -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:

Damn. A window manager shortcut was interfering with the GIMP on my system a while back, it took me about three minutes to set that right, because Linux.

If you had the same problem as Dale, Linux wouldn't help you - some laptops "helpfully" reassign the F-keys to multimedia keys at hardware level, and require you to press Fn+F-key to get the actual F-key. Usually this can be disabled in BIOS setup, but I've seen one laptop where you had to update the BIOS first before the option became available (and even then it was named in such way that it way easy to overlook it).

< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >
Steve Kinney
2016-06-04 22:19:20 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

reassign F1 key shortcut

On 06/04/2016 04:42 PM, Jernej Simončič wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 15:43:33 -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:

If you had the same problem as Dale, Linux wouldn't help you - some laptops "helpfully" reassign the F-keys to multimedia keys at hardware level, and require you to press Fn+F-key to get the actual F-key. Usually this can be disabled in BIOS setup, but I've seen one laptop where you had to update the BIOS first before the option became available (and even then it was named in such way that it way easy to overlook it).

Or maybe not. A context sensitive F-key command that opens the help menu for the window manager's currently focused application belongs to the window manager, not system firmware. Firmware would have no way of knowing what application is currently focused, thus, no way of knowing which help menu to open. When the problem is "It opens the Help menu and I can't find where to change that," the problem pretty much has to be the window manager.

;o)

Jernej Simončič
2016-06-05 00:00:44 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

reassign F1 key shortcut

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 18:19:20 -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:

Or maybe not. A context sensitive F-key command that opens the help menu for the window manager's currently focused application belongs to the window manager, not system firmware. Firmware would have no way of knowing what application is currently focused, thus, no way of knowing which help menu to open. When the problem is "It opens the Help menu and I can't find where to change that," the problem pretty much has to be the window manager.

There are actually several scancodes defined for help, and I've seen laptops send them.

< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >