RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cant modify text on layer in XCF file using V2.8.16

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2016-05-25 21:36:36 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

New GIMP user who has not previous used Photoshop. So far I have had mixed results. Creating a new layered project was successful, but coming back to modify that project has been a total brick wall.

I have 11 layers with each containing a single text component, image or shape. I can't seem to be able to edit any of my existing text. I have hidden most layers from view and am trying to work with a single layer that has a single text box that I want to change.

My source is an XCF file, from which I exported JPG files for our website. I have not (knowingly) applied filters or done much more than add text, shapes and a couple of small images.

Search results have all been about older versions. I can't right-click the layer and choose edit (which sounds wonderfully simple and effective...).

Documentation explains the new features but only offer how to add, not edit text.

Right-clicking the existing text pops up the GIMP menu, not something context sensitive. Using the text tool seems to only want to add new text, not change what I already have.

It shouldn't (can't) be this hard so there must be something simple that I'm missing.

Just a little help! I'm not usually this slow to pick up new tools.

Many thanks! Dennis

Ofnuts
2016-05-25 22:37:55 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 25/05/16 23:36, DennisT wrote:

New GIMP user who has not previous used Photoshop. So far I have had mixed results. Creating a new layered project was successful, but coming back to modify that project has been a total brick wall.

I have 11 layers with each containing a single text component, image or shape. I can't seem to be able to edit any of my existing text. I have hidden most layers from view and am trying to work with a single layer that has a single text box that I want to change.

My source is an XCF file, from which I exported JPG files for our website. I have not (knowingly) applied filters or done much more than add text, shapes and a couple of small images.

Search results have all been about older versions. I can't right-click the layer and choose edit (which sounds wonderfully simple and effective...).

Documentation explains the new features but only offer how to add, not edit text.

Right-clicking the existing text pops up the GIMP menu, not something context sensitive. Using the text tool seems to only want to add new text, not change what I already have.

It shouldn't (can't) be this hard so there must be something simple that I'm missing.

Just a little help! I'm not usually this slow to pick up new tools.

Start the Text tool again and click on the layer (I assume this is still a text layer ("A" preview in the Layers dialogs))

Rick Strong
2016-05-25 22:55:58 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Try clicking the "A" text tool "I" beam in the text itself. The edit options should open up on the LHS.

Rick

I can't right-click the layer and choose edit (which sounds wonderfully simple and effective...).

2016-05-25 23:14:18 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Start the Text tool again and click on the layer (I assume this is still a text layer ("A" preview in the Layers dialogs))

Thank you for responding!

I selected the text tool, hid all the layers except the one I want to edit.

Clicking on the layer in the Layers Dialog did nothing, and when I click on the actual layer I get the 4 square marker to insert new text.

I want to select the existing text and change it.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean when referring to - "A" (text?) preview in Layers dialog.

I attached a screenshot of what I'm looking at.

Not tech shy. I have 20+ years working with computers. Just haven't seen GIMP before last week and the learning curve seems pretty steep.

With thanks, Dennis

2016-05-25 23:22:02 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Try clicking the "A" text tool "I" beam in the text itself. The edit options should open up on the LHS.

Rick

... I can't right-click the layer and choose edit (which sounds wonderfully simple and effective...).

Thanks for your input!

With only the one layer visible, and after selecting the text tool (A), when I click on the text within the layer I just get the 4 box tool to enter new text. It's not letting me select the existing text.

I am uploading my XCF file to make this easier for more experienced eyes to see where I am.

My best, Dennis

Pat David
2016-05-25 23:26:53 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

That layer doesn't look like a text layer anymore. You won't be able to modify it, I think.
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 6:24 PM DennisT wrote:

Rick

... I can't right-click the layer and choose edit (which sounds wonderfully simple and effective...).

Thanks for your input!

With only the one layer visible, and after selecting the text tool (A), when I
click on the text within the layer I just get the 4 box tool to enter new text.
It's not letting me select the existing text.

I am uploading my XCF file to make this easier for more experienced eyes to see
where I am.

My best,
Dennis

Attachments:
http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/249/original/2016-0601-summer-savings.xcf

-- DennisT (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pat David
https://pixls.us
http://blog.patdavid.net
2016-05-25 23:44:06 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

That layer doesn't look like a text layer anymore. You won't be able to modify it, I think.

I was beginning to suspect as much.

My goal is to be able to edit the text on several layers as I reuse this image for different promotions.

For now, I have created a new layer and I am trying to line up a new text box over the existing one. Once I have the new text placed and formatted I will delete the old layer.

Can you offer pointers on what not to do in order to keep the text layers editable? I would like to not make the same mistakes again.

Thanks very much! Dennis

Ofnuts
2016-05-25 23:55:11 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 26/05/16 01:14, DennisT wrote:

Thank you for responding!

I selected the text tool, hid all the layers except the one I want to edit.

Clicking on the layer in the Layers Dialog did nothing, and when I click on the actual layer I get the 4 square marker to insert new text.

I want to select the existing text and change it.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean when referring to - "A" (text?) preview in Layers dialog.

I attached a screenshot of what I'm looking at.

Not tech shy. I have 20+ years working with computers. Just haven't seen GIMP before last week and the learning curve seems pretty steep.

With thanks, Dennis

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/248/original/GimpScreen.png

When you create a text layer, it remains editable as long as you don't alter it in any way outside of the Text tool. While in this state, the Layers list preview image is not the text but a big bold uppercase A. This is what Gimp users call a "text layer". If you alter the layer outside of the Text tool (paint, scale, rotate, merge... ) Gimp renders it as a plain layer (because other tools can only deal with bitmap layers...) and the Text properties are lost, making it non-editable.

This is unfortunately what happened to the layers in your project. You should have avoided merging the text and its background.

You can keep text layers and their separate background layers together by putting the pair in a layer group. To move them together, select the group in the layers list and use the Move tool in "Move the active layer" mode.

Ofnuts
2016-05-26 00:23:11 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 26/05/16 01:44, DennisT wrote:

My goal is to be able to edit the text on several layers as I reuse this image for different promotions.

For now, I have created a new layer and I am trying to line up a new text box over the existing one. Once I have the new text placed and formatted I will delete the old layer.

Can you offer pointers on what not to do in order to keep the text layers editable? I would like to not make the same mistakes again.

Thanks very much! Dennis

Given the image, you should not be using Gimp... You can use, in decreasing ease-of-user order:

- a plain word processor (LibreOffice or else) - Scribus (a typesetting application) - Inkscape (a vector graphics editor)

2016-05-26 00:55:21 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Given the image, you should not be using Gimp... You can use, in decreasing ease-of-user order:

- a plain word processor (LibreOffice or else) - Scribus (a typesetting application) - Inkscape (a vector graphics editor)

I'm smiling as I reply, because you are so right!

I inherited this project as part of an abrupt transition from another company. They provided the templates and images, including this one - but in Photoshop formats. i was asked to install GIMP and ramp up ASAP. Because I was placed on the yellow brick road and pointed towards the Emerald City, I never stopped to look for an exit or short-cuts.

There are other assets that I will be working with that might not lend themselves to the types of tools you mentioned, but certainly I will try to see beyond the next turn in the road when I get to that point.

Thank you for your input!

Regards, Dennis

Pat David
2016-05-26 00:59:14 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Inkscape is harder than Scribus? :)

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 7:23 PM Ofnuts wrote:

On 26/05/16 01:44, DennisT wrote:

My goal is to be able to edit the text on several layers as I reuse this

for different promotions.

For now, I have created a new layer and I am trying to line up a new

text box

over the existing one. Once I have the new text placed and formatted I

will

delete the old layer.

Thanks very much! Dennis

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pat David
https://pixls.us
http://blog.patdavid.net
2016-05-26 01:01:40 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

When you create a text layer, it remains editable as long as you don't alter it in any way outside of the Text tool. While in this state, the...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That was exactly the nudge I needed. I was able to replace the layers that had text, keeping them in editable formats.

Feeling better about GIMP - and really good about the activity here!

This is a twice a month activity for me so I'll be visiting periodically, but not jumping in with both feel to learn how to be a GIM Jedi.

Very nice to meet you all. Thanks very much for all the responses and feedback.

Gratefully, Dennis

Ross Martinek
2016-05-26 03:21:23 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

If you have to learn GIMP on the fly, I recommend The Book of GIMP, by Lecarme and Delvare. Has saved me lots of headaches, and no small amount of beard hair … (scalp is long gone …)

I sympathize. Seems the only way I learn new software is under a deadline …

“We, the unknowing have done so much,
for so long,
with so little,
for the ungrateful,
that we are now qualified
to do the impossible
with nothing.”

At least you have GIMP, this forum, and a manual. You are in Heaven/Nirvana/ … whatever …

;o}

Ross

On May 25, 2016, at 8:01 PM, DennisT wrote:

When you create a text layer, it remains editable as long as you don't alter it in any way outside of the Text tool. While in this state, the...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That was exactly the nudge I needed. I was able to replace the layers that had text, keeping them in editable formats.

Feeling better about GIMP - and really good about the activity here!

This is a twice a month activity for me so I'll be visiting periodically, but not jumping in with both feel to learn how to be a GIM Jedi.

Very nice to meet you all. Thanks very much for all the responses and feedback.

Gratefully, Dennis

--
DennisT (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list