RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Error in opening psd files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

17 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Error in opening psd files Ender 23 May 09:56
  Error in opening psd files enzoorsi 18 Sep 21:20
   Error in opening psd files Ross Martinek 18 Sep 22:32
    Error in opening psd files enzoorsi 19 Sep 08:29
     Error in opening psd files enzoorsi 19 Sep 13:57
     Error in opening psd files Ross Martinek 19 Sep 19:23
      Error in opening psd files enzoorsi 19 Sep 20:48
       Error in opening psd files Ross Martinek 20 Sep 23:01
        Error in opening psd files Alexandre Prokoudine 23 Sep 09:03
         Error in opening psd files Partha Bagchi 23 Sep 11:02
         Error in opening psd files Ross Martinek 23 Sep 14:56
          Error in opening psd files Alexandre Prokoudine 23 Sep 15:21
           Error in opening psd files Ross Martinek 23 Sep 15:57
            Error in opening psd files Steve Kinney 23 Sep 21:36
             Error in opening psd files Alexandre Prokoudine 24 Sep 12:05
          Error in opening psd files enzoorsi 24 Sep 01:02
       Error in opening psd files Steve Kinney 23 Sep 02:48
2016-05-23 09:56:45 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Hi,
Sorry if the topic is obvious but i could not find any answer: On opening psd files with gimp, i always get the error "the layer mask is partly outside the layer boundary.The mask Will be cropped which may in data loss." , which results in losing one or several layers. Is there a way to fix this ?

enzoorsi
2016-09-18 21:20:07 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Hi,
Sorry if the topic is obvious but i could not find any answer: On opening psd files with gimp, i always get the error "the layer mask is partly outside the layer boundary.The mask Will be cropped which may in data loss." , which results in losing one or several layers. Is there a way to fix this ?

Hi,
I am having the same trouble...no idea how to open it properly in GIMP due to this error :( Did you solve it somehow?

Thank you!!

Ross Martinek
2016-09-18 22:32:39 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Did you use the “Open as layers” command? GIMP will open a psd file with the simple “Open” command but this may result in the error message you get.

I had a similar problem when converting from PS to GIMP, but I seem to recall using this command solved it.

Ross

On Sep 18, 2016, at 4:20 PM, enzoorsi wrote:

Hi,

Hi,
I am having the same trouble...no idea how to open it properly in GIMP due to this error :(
Did you solve it somehow?

Thank you!!

-- enzoorsi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

enzoorsi
2016-09-19 08:29:02 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Did you use the “Open as layers” command? GIMP will open a psd file with the simple “Open” command but this may result in the error message you get.

I had a similar problem when converting from PS to GIMP, but I seem to recall using this command solved it.

Ross

Unfortunately even with "Open layers" I get that error :( The file has been produced with Photoshop, I can open with Gimp but layers are wrongly shown. I saw that the problem is with those layers on which in Photoshop has been created a "clipping mask"... Any idea? :(

enzoorsi
2016-09-19 13:57:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Unfortunately even with "Open layers" I get that error :( The file has been produced with Photoshop, I can open with Gimp but layers are wrongly shown.
I saw that the problem is with those layers on which in Photoshop has been created a "clipping mask"...
Any idea? :(

Another (even worse) problem: PSD colors seems different from the same file opened in Photoshop and in GIMP... Any idea?? :O

Ross Martinek
2016-09-19 19:23:42 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I think the clipping mask is the problem. Can you go back into PS and remove the clipping mask in the original file? That might solve the problem.

Other than that, I’m at a loss. Hopefully one of the real gurus will chime in on this.

Ross

On Sep 19, 2016, at 3:29 AM, enzoorsi wrote:

Ross

Unfortunately even with "Open layers" I get that error :( The file has been produced with Photoshop, I can open with Gimp but layers are wrongly shown.
I saw that the problem is with those layers on which in Photoshop has been created a "clipping mask"...
Any idea? :(

--
enzoorsi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

enzoorsi
2016-09-19 20:48:06 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I think the clipping mask is the problem. Can you go back into PS and remove the clipping mask in the original file? That might solve the problem.

Other than that, I’m at a loss. Hopefully one of the real gurus will chime in on this.

Ross

Thank you very much!! It worked!!

But now in GIMP the colors seem different from Photoshop when I am exporting in PNG/JPEG :(

Ross Martinek
2016-09-20 23:01:06 UTC (over 7 years ago)

PS has a number of different color standards (some Adobe’s proprietary materials) that it can use in addition to the standard variations of HSI, RGB, and CYMK. I’m not sure how GIMP handles this, as it hasn’t come up in what I’m doing. When you export the files from PSD, make sure you are using a color space that is supported by GIMP.

Ross

On Sep 19, 2016, at 3:48 PM, enzoorsi wrote:

Ross

Thank you very much!! It worked!!

But now in GIMP the colors seem different from Photoshop when I am exporting in PNG/JPEG :(

--
enzoorsi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Steve Kinney
2016-09-23 02:48:29 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 09/19/2016 04:48 PM, enzoorsi wrote:

The GIMP and Photoshop use different color models: RBG in the GIMP and LAB (if I recall correctly) in Photoshop. Color conversions between the two will be, at best, approximate.

:o/

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-09-23 09:03:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 2:01 AM, Ross Martinek wrote:

PS has a number of different color standards (some Adobe’s proprietary materials)

Any examples?

Alex

Partha Bagchi
2016-09-23 11:02:49 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

PS has a number of different color standards (some Adobe’s proprietary

materials)

Any examples?

Alex

What's a color standard? Do you mean ICC profiles? What's proprietary

material here?

Ross Martinek
2016-09-23 14:56:15 UTC (over 7 years ago)

No longer have a copy of Photoshop—I just remember the manual talking about it, and that they seemed to have several different color standards available.

Sorry my memory of it is no better. It was at least two decades ago that I last had to deal much with different color standards. Steve Kinney posted that PS uses LAB, which fits my memories, but I seem to recall there were one or two others available, at least for printing.

And regardless of whether you use RGB or LAB, printing will be CYMK. IIRC (and I may not) LAB is closer to CYMK.

Ross

On Sep 23, 2016, at 4:03 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

PS has a number of different color standards (some Adobe’s proprietary materials)

Any examples?

Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-09-23 15:21:35 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Ross Martinek wrote:

Sorry my memory of it is no better. It was at least two decades ago that I last had to deal much with different color standards. Steve Kinney posted that PS uses LAB, which fits my memories, but I seem to recall there were one or two others available, at least for printing.

You were probably referring to Pantone and Hexachrome. None of those spot color catalogs are related to Adobe. None of them are color models :)

Alex

Ross Martinek
2016-09-23 15:57:04 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Thanks for jogging my memory. I think what I was thinking is that Adobe had color palettes based on those catalogs, intended to produce printed colors that matched the catalog. Like I said, it’s been a long time.

Ross

On Sep 23, 2016, at 10:21 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Ross Martinek wrote:

You were probably referring to Pantone and Hexachrome. None of those spot color catalogs are related to Adobe. None of them are color models :)

Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Steve Kinney
2016-09-23 21:36:21 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 09/23/2016 11:57 AM, Ross Martinek wrote:

Thanks for jogging my memory. I think what I was thinking is that Adobe had color palettes based on those catalogs, intended to produce printed colors that matched the catalog. Like I said, it’s been a long time.

Those catalogs would be Pantone ones. They are usually most relevant when printing vector graphics, i.e. silk screen or offset printing. Printer's inks have Pantone values printed on their labels, and very precisely match the color chips on Pantone reference cards. I have seen "Pantone to HTML color" charts on the network, and they are better than nothing but far from precise. "HTML color" means hexadecimal RGB, which is also the GIMP's native color model.

RGB stands for Red, Green and Blue. It is an "additive" color model, applicable to mixing colored light sources. Example: TV screens and computer monitors.

LAB stands for Luminance, Red/Green, Blue/Yellow. It is based on studies of human color perception and is more or less universal, but no monitor or printer can duplicate this color space directly - it has to be exported to RGB (monitor) or CMYK (printer) for display.

CMYK stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. It is a "subtractive" color model, applicable to mixing ink or paint colors to control the color of reflected light.

When people start talking about computer programs that can "natively edit in CMYK", try not to groan: The only way to edit images in CMYK is with a paintbrush or comparable tool, because on a monitor you see the image in RGB no matter what format the program is reading from and writing to.

An RGB image can be exported to or imported from a file with CMYK data, via a filter based on the intersection of RGB and CMYK values in LAB color space. But "what you see" on the monitor is not exactly "what you get" on the printed page. Upcoming versions of the GIMP with GEGL under the hood will support /much/ higher resolution RGB color, improving the potential color match between screen and paper versions of a given image. (GIMP layers can also include an Alpha channel for transparency; hence "RGBA" values.)

In recent times I have had no problems with color management for print; PNG files imported to Scribus and saved as PDF come out looking like I want them to when printed. A decade ago, this was not always the case. I believe that LCD monitors and improvements in color conversion algorithms probably account for this.

To get the best available color rendering, first check your monitor. If a color profile is available from the manufacturer, get it and install it on your workstation machine, and make sure the GIMP knows about it: Edit > Preferences > Color Management. This will tweak your video output for "best results." An alternative to this is to glovally disable color management and tweak your monitor by hand, see:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Color perception is also a factor: The more neutral gray you see around an image, the less your eye and brain will distort the colors in the image. Conversely, if you know that a bunch of images you are working on will be displayed on a colored background - say a web page or brochure - you can set the Canvas Padding color in the GIMP to that color, and see your images in progress in their native color context: Edit > Preferences > Image Windows > Appearance.

The GIMP includes a filter that converts the visible image to CMYK layers, and the result can be exported as a CMYK TIFF file. This may facilitate color adjustment at the print shop, and any commercial printers who still demand "Adobe Formats Only, or take your filthy money elsewhere!" will usually accept CMYK TIFF files without complaint.

Color printing used to be a bit of a major nuisance, but lately not so much - depending the use case, your mileage may vary. The remaining problem is color resolution: If you have a big, subtle gradient you have to get just exactly right, you are going to see banding on your monitor and in the printed results. The upcoming GEGL based GIMP color model, with resolutions up to 64 bit floating point, should put a stop to that nonsense.

:o)

enzoorsi
2016-09-24 01:02:43 UTC (over 7 years ago)

No longer have a copy of Photoshop—I just remember the manual talking about it, and that they seemed to have several different color standards available.

And regardless of whether you use RGB or LAB, printing will be CYMK. IIRC (and I may not) LAB is closer to CYMK.

Ross

Hi,
but in GIMP how is possible to export in CYMK before printing?

Thank you!!

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-09-24 12:05:00 UTC (over 7 years ago)

24 сент. 2016 г. 0:37 пользователь "Steve Kinney" написал:

The GIMP includes a filter that converts the visible image to CMYK layers, and the result can be exported as a CMYK TIFF file.

Only if one installs a 3rd party plugin called separate+.

Alex