RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with RAW image conversion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with RAW image conversion SteveDee 14 May 21:26
  Problem with RAW image conversion Ofnuts 15 May 10:34
   Problem with RAW image conversion SteveDee 15 May 13:17
2016-05-14 21:26:54 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

On a recent install of The Gimp, the image I see when open with Gimp (OK, it uses Ufraw) has difference colour cast after I click OK and the opens in Gimp.

Its not totally clear which version of The Gimp is installed (see notes below):-

Synaptic reports: 2.8.16-1ubuntu1

In terminal, using: gimp -v GNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.8.16 git-describe: GIMP_2_8_14-268-g3152b6e

using GEGL version 0.3.4 (compiled against version 0.3.2) using GLib version 2.48.0 (compiled against version 2.47.3) using GdkPixbuf version 2.32.2 (compiled against version 2.32.2) using GTK+ version 2.24.30 (compiled against version 2.24.29) using Pango version 1.38.1 (compiled against version 1.38.1) using Fontconfig version 2.11.94 (compiled against version 2.11.1) using Cairo version 1.14.6 (compiled against version 1.14.4)

Synaptic reports: gimp-ufraw 0.20-3build1

Linux version: uname -a Linux dawne-HP455 4.4.0-22-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 5 16:53:32 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ofnuts
2016-05-15 10:34:53 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 14/05/16 23:26, SteveDee wrote:

On a recent install of The Gimp, the image I see when open with Gimp (OK, it uses Ufraw) has difference colour cast after I click OK and the opens in Gimp.

OK, so this is the very same image file opened in Gimp with two different methods? But in the second case, where is this "OK" button?

Its not totally clear which version of The Gimp is installed (see notes below):-

Help>About tells the truth.

2016-05-15 13:17:24 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

OK, so this is the very same image file opened in Gimp with two different methods? But in the second case, where is this "OK" button?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The sequence is that I right-click on a RAW file in file manager and select "open with Gimp". As its a RAW, it loads a dialog driven by Ufraw and displays the image. (I take a screen shot of this as evidence). I then click the OK button which does whatever is necessary to pass the image into Gimp (i.e. the first dialog closes and a second opens with all familiar Gimp controls. (I take a second screen shot).

The two captured images are then pasted onto a larger canvas using Gimp.

The differences render Gimp useless for RAW images on this computer, but it is probably a Ufraw problem.

On the problem laptop (an HP which had a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04) I end up with gimp-ufraw version "0.20-3build1".

A second laptop works fine. This Asus laptop was upgraded from 15.10 to 16.04 and I have a different gimp-ufraw version "0.22-2dhor~wily.

Ubuntu 15.10 had the project name "Wily" so it either has the more up-to-date version of Ufraw in its reprository, or I got-lucky by some other means, as the current/latest version of ufraw is 0.22.

Help>About tells the truth.

I questioned the Gimp version because you would normally expect the application version to be reflected in the install details, but this is not the case following "git-describe".

Thanks once again for your input. I'm now looking for the easiest way to trick Ubuntu into allowing me to install ufraw 0.22 over what it seems to think is the latest version.

Ubuntu/Lubuntu release 16.04 seems to contain a number of packaging problems (including AviDemux & Gambas) so I guess this can also be added to the list.