RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

single-window tiled view?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

single-window tiled view? jxxtan 14 May 17:59
  single-window tiled view? Richard 15 May 16:09
2016-05-14 17:59:07 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

I just installed 2.8, because I like the idea of having just one window open with all of the images I'm working on in it, without worrying about something hiding behind those floating docks. So, in concept, I'm happy with this. BUT. It really slows me down having to switch between tabs. I want multiple files OPEN AND VISIBLE simultaneously. In other programs, this is called a 'Tile View' of windows. Since this is not something available in Single-Window mode, I'm stuck with a cluttered taskbar, and manually keeping things out from behind the docks.

I have looked for an available workaround, but so far have found nothing besides not using single-window mode. Right now, there was no point in me having upgraded the program.

I'm not a programmer. But if someone has a plugin - or, you know, writes one - that does this, please let me know. Otherwise: Developers? I doubt I would be the only one to love it if a Tile View was available in Single-Window mode in future releases.

Thanks.

Richard
2016-05-15 16:09:01 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Totally support. That is probably the one intrinsic advantage to the default view over single-window mode, you can tile multiple windows onscreen where with single-window/tabbed view you can only view one image at a time. There are certain specific usecases to which having tiled onscreen windows is a necessity, and this simply CANNOT be done in single-window mode.

I've seen it before in word processors / etc. where they put a small divider bar icon next to the window's scrollbar, and you drag it onscreen to partition the window into two independent views of the same document tiled in the same window. A means to do that in GIMP (tiling horizontally would probably work best, but either axis would be ideal) would be amazing.

Of course, there is a slight but substantial difference between having multiple tiled views of the same image vs. tiled views of multiple images... hmmm....

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 19:59:07 +0200 From: forums@gimpusers.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
CC: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] single-window tiled view?

I just installed 2.8, because I like the idea of having just one window open with all of the images I'm working on in it, without worrying about something hiding behind those floating docks. So, in concept, I'm happy with this. BUT. It really slows me down having to switch between tabs. I want multiple files OPEN AND VISIBLE simultaneously. In other programs, this is called a 'Tile View' of windows. Since this is not something available in Single-Window mode, I'm stuck with a cluttered taskbar, and manually keeping things out from behind the docks.

I have looked for an available workaround, but so far have found nothing besides not using single-window mode. Right now, there was no point in me having upgraded the program.

I'm not a programmer. But if someone has a plugin - or, you know, writes one - that does this, please let me know. Otherwise: Developers? I doubt I would be the only one to love it if a Tile View was available in Single-Window mode in future releases.

Thanks.

-- jxxtan (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list