RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

help with layers!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help with layers! kcdrums79 03 May 14:23
  help with layers! Alexandre Prokoudine 05 May 10:02
2016-05-03 14:23:01 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

help with layers!

HI! I am extremely basic with Gimp but i to take miniatures i paint from generally a white background, selecting just the model itself, and pasting it to a layer behind it which is either a gradient or a pattern or whatever to create a nice background and display for my blog. Its a basic function ive been using for years...for some reason i can no longer do that. I take my main photo, add a second layer, which before i used to have to add an alpha channel but now it seems that its already selected on (??)...i add my gradient then move the layer under the main photo so as to be the background....then magic wand the model, press delete, the model remains but the underlying layer is not visible, no matter what i do i cannot get the underlying layer to fill in as a background!! ive done this a thousand times, what am i doing wrong???:( ((Truth be told im really trying to add a background that is a jpg using the open to layers function but that yields the same zero results.))

Can anyone help?? thanks:)

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-05-05 10:02:51 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

help with layers!

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM, kcdrums79 wrote:

I take my main photo, add a
second layer, which before i used to have to add an alpha channel but now it seems that its already selected on (??)...i add my gradient then move the layer under the main photo so as to be the background....then magic wand the model, press delete, the model remains but the underlying layer is not visible

This is because your original background layer is a photo that doesn't have an alpha channel. Just add an alpha channel to your photo layer.

Alex