RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Unable to set font in GIMP 2.8.14

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Unable to set font in GIMP 2.8.14 Bret Busby 27 Mar 19:48
  Unable to set font in GIMP 2.8.14 Steve Kinney 27 Mar 21:53
   Unable to set font in GIMP 2.8.14 Akkana Peck 28 Mar 01:22
Bret Busby
2016-03-27 19:48:37 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Hello.

Some time ago, I started a project using the then version of GIMP, that ran on Debian 6, and I was able to set the font for text that I entered.

I have tried to resume the project, using GIMP 2.8.14, running on UbuntuMATE 15.10, and, whatever I do, I am now not able to set the font for text to be entered.

The font that I want to use, is Andika, and, it is installed, and, it shows in the Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Fonts dialogue box, and, I got it highlighted (but, it become unhighlighted, when the application is closed and then reloaded), but the only font that the application will apparently use, is the application default font; the "Sans" font.

Without being required to delete all of the listed fonts apart from Andika (if it can be done), how can I force the application to use the Andika font, which font, I have successfully used in the GIMP, when I was running the GIMP on Debian 6?

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Steve Kinney
2016-03-27 21:53:25 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 03/27/2016 03:48 PM, Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

Some time ago, I started a project using the then version of GIMP, that ran on Debian 6, and I was able to set the font for text that I entered.

I have tried to resume the project, using GIMP 2.8.14, running on UbuntuMATE 15.10, and, whatever I do, I am now not able to set the font for text to be entered.

The font that I want to use, is Andika, and, it is installed, and, it shows in the Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Fonts dialogue box, and, I got it highlighted (but, it become unhighlighted, when the application is closed and then reloaded), but the only font that the application will apparently use, is the application default font; the "Sans" font.

Without being required to delete all of the listed fonts apart from Andika (if it can be done), how can I force the application to use the Andika font, which font, I have successfully used in the GIMP, when I was running the GIMP on Debian 6?

The on-canvas text editor works /very/ differently from the earlier "in its own box" text editor. The first thing I would try is opening the image, selecting the text layer I want to work on, activate the Text tool, and click on the text to bring up the on-canvas editor. Then /select/ all the text with the mouse, then /change/ the font name in the small on-canvas control box.

Akkana Peck
2016-03-28 01:22:46 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 03/27/2016 03:48 PM, Bret Busby wrote:

Steve Kinney writes:

The on-canvas text editor works /very/ differently from the earlier "in its own box" text editor. The first thing I would try is opening the image, selecting the text layer I want to work on, activate the Text tool, and click on the text to bring up the on-canvas editor. Then /select/ all the text with the mouse, then /change/ the font name in the small on-canvas control box.

Or go to Tool Options for the text tool and check "Use editor". Then you'll get a dialog like older GIMPs used that lets you edit text without selecting it, and you can change the font in Tool Options as in older versions.

...Akkana