RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

.GIF help with GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

.GIF help with GIMP Sunny Chauhan 21 Mar 08:08
  .GIF help with GIMP Steve Kinney 26 Mar 13:38
Sunny Chauhan
2016-03-21 08:08:47 UTC (about 8 years ago)

.GIF help with GIMP

Good morning

I was hoping you may be able to assist me

Now i have a .GIF which I want to remove/render the BACKGROUND only and replace it with a static background as the .GIF loops within the static background image

I have searched google and YouTube videos and majority of the videos/instructions refer to rendering/removing a static image on a static background.

I have read your guides and there isn't much information about this option

I was hoping you'd be able to help me with this?

Regards

Sunny

Steve Kinney
2016-03-26 13:38:22 UTC (about 8 years ago)

.GIF help with GIMP

On 03/21/2016 04:08 AM, Sunny Chauhan wrote:

Good morning

I was hoping you may be able to assist me

Now i have a .GIF which I want to remove/render the BACKGROUND only and replace it with a static background as the .GIF loops within the static background image

I have searched google and YouTube videos and majority of the videos/instructions refer to rendering/removing a static image on a static background.

I have read your guides and there isn't much information about this option

I was hoping you'd be able to help me with this?

If I understand the question, the solution would be to create an image where your changing backgrounds are layers, stacked in the order you want them displayed from bottom to top. Then add your foreground content on a layer of its own, and duplicate it until you have as many copies as there are background layers. Merge one of these copies down with each of your background layers, to create the frames of your animation.

Not sure if doing Filters > Animation > Optimize in this case would reduce the animated GIF's file size much, but there's no harm trying: https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/plug-in-optimize.html

For display on a web page, it might be better in some cases to use a CSS div to create a box where the background is your animation, without any foreground content included, and put your foreground image inside the div as a PNG image with a transparent background, positioned in the box via margin or padding declarations. Then you could change foreground images without having to re-do the animation.

:o)