RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color of fonts of context help

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color of fonts of context help gm40 16 Mar 07:08
  Color of fonts of context help Ofnuts 16 Mar 23:04
   Color of fonts of context help gm40 17 Mar 03:15
    Color of fonts of context help akovia 20 Mar 16:11
     Color of fonts of context help gm40 20 Mar 23:15
      Color of fonts of context help Kevin Payne 24 Mar 21:42
  Color of fonts of context help Sven Claussner 17 Mar 05:15
2016-03-16 07:08:41 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

When hovering with the cursor over an icon a little window is popping up with a brief explanation of the function behind the icon. In my case the color of the font is white, i.e. unreadable. How can I change that color? I found nothing under preferences after several scans through it. Still, I may have missed the crucial entry. There is precious little to complain about. I've been using gimp for many years, on and off.

Ofnuts
2016-03-16 23:04:14 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 16/03/16 08:08, gm40 wrote:

When hovering with the cursor over an icon a little window is popping up with a brief explanation of the function behind the icon. In my case the color of the font is white, i.e. unreadable. How can I change that color? I found nothing under preferences after several scans through it. Still, I may have missed the crucial entry.
There is precious little to complain about. I've been using gimp for many years, on and off.

Likely part of some interface theme you use. In the fault theme the text is white, but the background of the popup is black and the result is readable.

2016-03-17 03:15:01 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Likely part of some interface theme you use. In the fault theme the text
is white, but the background of the popup is black and the result is readable.

No, it's in all themes the same, white writing on white background.

Sven Claussner
2016-03-17 05:15:18 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 16.3.2016 at 8:08 AM Gm40 wrote:

When hovering with the cursor over an icon a little window is popping up with a brief explanation of the function behind the icon. In my case the color of the font is white, i.e. unreadable. How can I change that color? I found nothing under preferences after several scans through it. Still, I may have missed the crucial entry.

GIMP doesn't have such a setting for this detail. As Ofnuts wrote it's in the interface theme. Try selecting another theme in GIMP's preferences. If you're using the Default theme check the preferences of your desktop environment (on Linux or BSD) or your system's preferences (on Windows or OS X).

There is precious little to complain about. I've been using gimp for many years, on and off.

That's nice to read ;-)

Greetings

Sven

akovia
2016-03-20 16:11:32 UTC (about 8 years ago)

No, it's in all themes the same, white writing on white background.

I noticed by clicking through the themes I have installed that some do not change the colors of the pop-ups, and others do. Can you name the different themes you've tried?
If the theme isn't changing it, it will get the color information from you OS desktop theme. Have you changed that recently? Just to rule it out, you should try a different desktop theme and see if it changes.

akovia
2016-03-20 23:15:08 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

I noticed by clicking through the themes I have installed that some do not change the colors of the pop-ups, and others do. Can you name the different themes you've tried?

Gimp-CS6-theme
Small

If the theme isn't changing it, it will get the color information from you OS desktop theme. Have you changed that recently?

Yes, I went through numerous themes without success. In fact the desktop tooltips seem to be alright (white on black) if I can go by what it is in a terminal window. All other programs except 'audacity' show readable tooltips. So I get the impression the tooltip configuration is set by each program.

Just to rule it out, you should try a different desktop theme and see if
it changes.

Kevin Payne
2016-03-24 21:42:27 UTC (about 8 years ago)

The theme can change the colours of the tooltips, BUT the GIMP Default and Small themes do not do this, so the colour is being set by your operating system/window manager.

On Windows 8.1, I can change the desktop theme and it will change the background colour of the tooltips (but not the text colour)

You haven't said which operating system you are using and what the desktop theme colours are.

Kevin

Sent: 20 March 2016 23:15
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Color of fonts of context help

>I noticed by clicking through the themes I have installed that some do
>not change the colors of the pop-ups, and others do. Can you name the
>different themes you've tried?
Gimp-CS6-theme
Small
>If the theme isn't changing it, it will get the color information from
>you OS desktop theme. Have you changed that recently?
Yes, I went through numerous themes without success. In fact the desktop
tooltips seem to be alright (white on black) if I can go by what it is in a
terminal window. All other programs except 'audacity' show readable tooltips. So
I get the impression the tooltip configuration is set by each program.
>Just to rule it out, you should try a different desktop theme and see
>if
>it changes.

--
gm40 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)