RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How, really, to do text?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How, really, to do text? David Benfell 12 Mar 04:30
  How, really, to do text? Liam R. E. Quin 12 Mar 06:45
  How, really, to do text? Owen Cook 12 Mar 07:56
   SOLVED: Re: How, really, to do text? David Benfell 12 Mar 08:53
David Benfell
2016-03-12 04:30:59 UTC (about 8 years ago)

How, really, to do text?

Hi all,

Fiddling with anti-aliasing and hinting isn't working for me. Any text I add to an image is horribly pixelated and the help I'm finding with web searches isn't working. I've tried adding the text at full size and I tried scaling the image to twice the size and adding text, and then scaling it back down. It still looks unbelievably awful.

How does one really do this?

Thanks!

David Benfell, Ph.D.
benfell@parts-unknown.org
Liam R. E. Quin
2016-03-12 06:45:02 UTC (about 8 years ago)

How, really, to do text?

On Fri, 2016-03-11 at 20:30 -0800, David Benfell wrote:

Hi all,

Fiddling with anti-aliasing and hinting isn't working for me. Any text I add to an image is horribly pixelated and the help I'm finding with web searches isn't working. I've tried adding the text at full size and I tried scaling the image to twice the size and adding text, and then scaling it back down. It still looks unbelievably awful.

OK, my telepathy skills are failing me here, and there is no single simple answer.

Maybe some more details will help...

* what font are you using *exactly*? * which GIMP version on which operating environment (e.g. gimp 2.2 on Mac OS 9, or gimp 2.8.14 on Mageia Linux 5, or what?) *exactly*? * If it's GIMP 2.8.14 unger GNOME on a GNU/Linux system, is the text in other applications also pixellated in the same way? You might have disabled antialiasing system-wide, for example? * what size is the text, in pixels?
* how are you adding the text? E.g. are you using the GIMP text tool, or are you pasting pictures of text?

Liam

Owen Cook
2016-03-12 07:56:46 UTC (about 8 years ago)

How, really, to do text?

Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 3:30 PM From: "David Benfell"
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] How, really, to do text?

Hi all,

How does one really do this?

You don't give sufficient information.

What size is your image? What dpi is it?

Again, just guessing,

Open the image Image->Resize and make the dpi say 300 Select the text tool, click on the image and say set the font size to 150 Type away

Then look at the image, is it still pixelated?

Or post an xcf with the problem somewhere so others can look at it

Owen

David Benfell
2016-03-12 08:53:22 UTC (about 8 years ago)

SOLVED: Re: How, really, to do text?

On 03/11/2016 11:56 PM, Owen Cook wrote:

You don't give sufficient information.

What size is your image? What dpi is it?

Again, just guessing,

Open the image Image->Resize and make the dpi say 300 Select the text tool, click on the image and say set the font size to 150 Type away

This was the problem. I had to re-create the image with 300 pixels per inch to make it work, but it *did* work.

Honestly, I had no clue. Thanks!

David Benfell, Ph.D.
benfell@parts-unknown.org