RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

File Type Unknown

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

File Type Unknown koalaballah 02 Mar 22:49
  File Type Unknown Steve Kinney 05 Mar 11:07
   File Type Unknown koalaballah 05 Mar 22:33
  File Type Unknown Sven Claussner 06 Mar 13:08
   File Type Unknown koalaballah 06 Mar 23:50
    File Type Unknown Patrick Shanahan 07 Mar 01:18
     File Type Unknown Jernej Simončič 07 Mar 07:45
      File Type Unknown koalaballah 08 Mar 02:57
2016-03-02 22:49:30 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

File Type Unknown

I need some serious help here. I have used GIMP successfully on another computer before, but since trying to install it on my new laptop, I haven't been able to get it working.

Whenever I try to open any image file type, I get an error message back that says:

"Opening '...' failed:

Unknown file type"

The "Open" dialog box does not even recognize .png or .jpeg files as image files, and I can only view them when I select "All Files" in the drop down box.

I'm not extremely computer savvy, but I've been doing some of my own research into the problem. It's possible that I've already seen solutions that would solve my problem, but I was not able to understand them.

Here is what I've tried:

Uninstall and re-install (various versions)

Uninstall, delete every file on my computer with "gimp" in the name, then reinstall

Going into preferences and confirming that the paths for plug-ins are right

I've run gimp-console-2.8 in cmd, and it just came up with endless errors reading:

"GIMP-Error: Unable to run plug-in "..." (...)

Failed to execute child process (Permission denied)"

What can I do to fix this?

Steve Kinney
2016-03-05 11:07:55 UTC (about 8 years ago)

File Type Unknown

On 03/02/2016 05:49 PM, koalaballah wrote:

I need some serious help here. I have used GIMP successfully on another computer before, but since trying to install it on my new laptop, I haven't been able to get it working.

It might be useful for the gang to know what exact operating system you are using, where you downloaded the GIMP from, and its complete version number (do Help > About).

2016-03-05 22:33:20 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

File Type Unknown

It might be useful for the gang to know what exact operating system you are using, where you downloaded the GIMP from, and its complete version number (do Help > About).

My machine runs Windows 10, and I'm using GIMP version 2.8.16

Sven Claussner
2016-03-06 13:08:23 UTC (about 8 years ago)

File Type Unknown

Hi,

to me it sounds like you installed GIMP from another user account than the one you're working with. The user account you are working with doesn't seem to have execution privileges for GIMP's plug-ins. Try to install GIMP as administrator or the user account you use for your GIMP work.
Of course, use your administrator account only for installing and uninstalling GIMP,
not for your daily work and even not to browse the internet. It might not be related to your current problem, but as a general security advice make sure to scan your downloaded software for viruses.

Greetings

Sven

2016-03-06 23:50:27 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

File Type Unknown

Hi,

to me it sounds like you installed GIMP from another user account than the one you're working with.

I actually only have one account on my computer, and I used it both to install and run GIMP. So I'm confused as to why it keeps coming up with the "Permission Denied" error in console. I've seen on other forum posts that the "Permission Denied" error could come up mistakenly when the plug-ins have a syntax error in them or something. I didn't really follow what they were saying.

Just to be safe, though, I uninstalled and re-installed, running the installer as the administrator, but I had no luck. This computer did used to belong to my father, so there was a different account on it. I've deleted all other accounts but my own, though.

Patrick Shanahan
2016-03-07 01:18:13 UTC (about 8 years ago)

File Type Unknown

* koalaballah [03-06-16 18:59]:

Hi,

to me it sounds like you installed GIMP from another user account than the one you're working with.

I actually only have one account on my computer, and I used it both to install and run GIMP. So I'm confused as to why it keeps coming up with the "Permission Denied" error in console. I've seen on other forum posts that the "Permission Denied" error could come up mistakenly when the plug-ins have a syntax error in them or something. I didn't really follow what they were saying.

Just to be safe, though, I uninstalled and re-installed, running the installer as the administrator, but I had no luck. This computer did used to belong to my father, so there was a different account on it. I've deleted all other accounts but my own, though.

If you are running windows, there is still and admin account in addition to your account. You should install gimp as admin and run it as .

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Jernej Simončič
2016-03-07 07:45:32 UTC (about 8 years ago)

File Type Unknown

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 20:18:13 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

If you are running windows, there is still and admin account in addition to your account. You should install gimp as admin and run it as .

The installer from gimp.org will not run without administrative privileges (you can't write to Program Files if you're not Administrator anyway), so something else must be the problem.

koalaballah: open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\ and delete the .gimp-2.8 folder (this will reset all the settings), then try running GIMP again.

< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >
2016-03-08 02:57:02 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

File Type Unknown

The installer from gimp.org will not run without administrative privileges
(you can't write to Program Files if you're not Administrator anyway), so
something else must be the problem.

koalaballah: open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\ and delete the .gimp-2.8 folder (this will reset all the settings), then
try running GIMP again.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I wonder if that would have worked. I ended up going nuclear and reset my computer to factory settings. Everything is running smoothly now. It was something that I kinda wanted to do anyway.

Thank you everyone for your help, and sorry to everyone who might have the same problem some time in the future.