RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path? Rick Strong 03 Feb 22:09
  How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path? Simon Budig 04 Feb 00:09
   How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path? Rick Strong 04 Feb 05:04
    How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path? Simon Budig 04 Feb 09:39
    How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path? Ofnuts 04 Feb 18:35
     2FBD04BB3FD1439E87B17BE8FEB... 05 Feb 18:53
      56B4A611.2050907@gmx.com 05 Feb 18:53
       How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path? Rick Strong 05 Feb 18:53
Rick Strong
2016-02-03 22:09:23 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Gimp newbie here.

I have drawn a bezier path and stroked the line. Unfortunately, I didn’t choose butt caps for the line endings. I now want to pick/select/choose that very simple path so I can get access to the stroke style dialog and change the round end caps to butt caps.

Other programs have either a black arrow or a white arrow for selecting things. How do I pick/select/choose that existing path in Gimp?

Thanks, Rick

Simon Budig
2016-02-04 00:09:47 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Rick Strong (rnstrong@magma.ca) wrote:

Other programs have either a black arrow or a white arrow for selecting things. How do I pick/select/choose that existing path in Gimp?

There is the "Paths" tab (by default close to the "Layers" tab). Bring it to the front and doubleclick the path in question. This makes it the active path and activates the paths tool.

I hope this helps, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Rick Strong
2016-02-04 05:04:48 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Thanks for the suggestion. I did this (below) but all that does is create a duplicate of the path. Sometimes it is right on top of the first one (congruent), sometimes it's above it a bit. At any rate, it's a duplicate.

I did discover that to see a path in path tab line-up, one has to click on the "eye" to make it visible. The operative path is always red, the others are blue. When the path is operative bringing the bezier tool near it turns the cursor into a finger and then the path can be selected and stroked.

However, it seems that once a path has been stroked it gets rendered into pixels and no longer exists as a vector path. Therefore, it cannot be altered by the bezier tool. Save the stroking until last and do them on separate layers, I would say.

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: Simon Budig
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 7:09 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path?

There is the "Paths" tab (by default close to the "Layers" tab). Bring it to the front and doubleclick the path in question. This makes it the active path and activates the paths tool.

I hope this helps, Simon

Simon Budig
2016-02-04 09:39:27 UTC (about 8 years ago)

However, it seems that once a path has been stroked it gets rendered into pixels and no longer exists as a vector path. Therefore, it cannot be altered by the bezier tool. Save the stroking until last and do them on separate layers, I would say.

Oh, yeah. Stroking makes Pixels in the current drawable.

We currently don't really have vector objects with stroking/filling properties, its still all pixels.

In fact I'd recommend to mix tools here: If you need to work mostly with vectors, use inkscape and maybe generate bitmaps from inkscape if you need advanced pixel based features then manipulate these from within gimp.

Certainly there are things to be improved in GIMP here, but we don't have any plans to compete with the massive amount of features available in inkscape.

I hope this helps, Simon

Ofnuts
2016-02-04 18:35:56 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 04/02/16 06:04, Rick Strong wrote:

You are mistaken, the path still exists as a path after being stroked.

Rick Strong
2016-02-05 18:53:37 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Yes, I understand the concept of layers, I've been using them for 15+ years. First in Corel Draw, then in the Adobe products. There are some designs though, where putting each stroke, separately, on it's own layer so that it could be adjusted, would not work.

Please understand that this is not a criticism of Gimp which has lots of great features and will be very handy working on photographs and pixel based art. I plan to hang on to it.

Simon Budig recommended Inkscape for vector work and I will give that a try, too. It has a GUI similar to Draw so the learning curve may not be as high for me.

Cheers,
Rick

-----Original Message----- From: Ofnuts
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 8:39 AM To: Rick Strong
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] How to pick/select/choose an already stroked path?

On 05/02/16 04:12, Rick Strong wrote:

You are right, the vector path still exists. What I meant was that once a path is stroked a pixel line is produced which cannot be altered with the bezier tool.

That's coherent with the current workings of Gimp. One you have created a pixel it remains. This is one reason for layers. Use one layer per object so that you can change that object without impacting the rest.