RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Looking for default locations of program icons and keyboard shortcuts list

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Looking for default locations of program icons and keyboard shortcuts list Aner Ben-Artzi 24 Jan 22:07
  Looking for default locations of program icons and keyboard shortcuts list Sven Claussner 25 Jan 20:17
Aner Ben-Artzi
2016-01-24 22:07:28 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Hi,

I'd like to create a custom keyboard (print stickers) for GIMP. However, I want to do this in a programmatic way so it can stay up-to-date with version upgrades and customizations.

So I'd like to be able to get the following items in order to programmatically combine them into a file that can be printed onto sticker paper:

- list of current keybindings action - list of action in-program icon image (preferably the larger icon)

This would allow me to place up to 4 (neutral/shift/ctrl/ctrl+shift) icons in a square to be printed and stuck onto the appropriate key.

Given how useful it is to have a separate tool selector hardware and how cheap keyboards are, it seems very useful to keep around a separate hardware keyboard purely for when I'm in GIMP. It doesn't even have to have the letter keys on it because there is no problem having it connected simultaneously with the typing keyboard.

I considered putting this into an app to allow me to turn a tablet into a custom keyboard that sends the shortcut keys, but there is no substitute for separate, hard, plastic keys.

I'd like to do this in Linux, and later see if anyone wants this for Windows/OSX.

Thanks,
Aner Ben-Artzi

Sven Claussner
2016-01-25 20:17:35 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 24.1.2016 at 11:07 PM Aner Ben-artzi wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to create a custom keyboard (print stickers) for GIMP. However, I want to do this in a programmatic way so it can stay up-to-date with version upgrades and customizations.

So I'd like to be able to get the following items in order to programmatically combine them into a file that can be printed onto sticker paper:

- list of current keybindings action - list of action in-program icon image (preferably the larger icon)

This would allow me to place up to 4 (neutral/shift/ctrl/ctrl+shift) icons in a square to be printed and stuck onto the appropriate key.

Well, grepping the sources for GtkActionEntry could be a start. I've seen keybindings being hardcoded.

See also https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/etc/controllerrc?h=gimp-2-8

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-help-2/tree/quickreference/gimp-keys.xml (but this is the help and might be outdated a bit).

and http://docs.gimp.org/ (keys and mouse reference).

I considered putting this into an app to allow me to turn a tablet into a custom keyboard that sends the shortcut keys, but there is no substitute for separate, hard, plastic keys.

You could also consider using a DAW tablet app, which is basically a MIDI controller with a (customizable) GUI. The MIDI output controls GIMP via its MIDI input device. I haven't tried that yet, but perhaps it's a source of inspiration for you. You'll find some posts to this topic in the GIMP developer mailing list archives.

Greetings

Sven