RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet PlasticTopHat 28 Dec 20:07
  Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet programmer_ceds 28 Dec 21:35
   Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet PlasticTopHat 28 Dec 21:57
    Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet PlasticTopHat 30 Dec 05:30
     Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet programmer_ceds 30 Dec 20:47
      Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet PlasticTopHat 30 Dec 22:59
       Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet PlasticTopHat 31 Dec 04:56
        Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet programmer_ceds 31 Dec 20:46
         Pressure Sensitivity with Monoprice Tablet PlasticTopHat 31 Dec 21:38
PlasticTopHat
2015-12-28 20:07:42 UTC (about 8 years ago)

I just got a 10 x 6.25 inch Monoprice Graphic Drawing Tablet for Christmas, and am trying to use it with GIMP. When I installed it, it was working fine, except that there was no pressure sensitivity. I checked the dynamics settings, and it was set to "Pressure Opacity," but still no response to pressure.

After a quick web search of this problem, I followed the tips found, which involved making sure the tablet was plugged in and working before opening GIMP, opening the Input Devices window, finding my tablet, and setting it to Screen. I found that, with it set to Screen, if I tried to draw on the canvas, it seemed to try to left click, right click, and middle click all at the same time.

I have the device disabled again so that it works just like a mouse, but I would really like to use the Pressure Opacity setting. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

2015-12-28 21:35:21 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

I just got a 10 x 6.25 inch Monoprice Graphic Drawing Tablet for Christmas, and am trying to use it with GIMP. When I installed it, it was working fine, except that there was no pressure sensitivity. I checked the dynamics settings, and it was set to "Pressure Opacity," but still no response to pressure.

After a quick web search of this problem, I followed the tips found, which involved making sure the tablet was plugged in and working before opening GIMP, opening the Input Devices window, finding my tablet, and setting it to Screen. I found that, with it set to Screen, if I tried to draw on the canvas, it seemed to try to left click, right click, and middle click all at the same time.

I have the device disabled again so that it works just like a mouse, but I would really like to use the Pressure Opacity setting. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

I am not on the PC that I have a tablet attached to at the moment but I believe (for Windows at least) that in order for the graphics pen dynamics to work you have to actually start GIMP using the graphics tablet and pen - i.e. use the pen like a mouse in windows to double-click the GIMP icon to start the program. This works for me anyway with GIMP V2.8.16 (and 2.8.14 before that)

PlasticTopHat
2015-12-28 21:57:58 UTC (about 8 years ago)

I am not on the PC that I have a tablet attached to at the moment but I believe (for Windows at least) that in order for the graphics pen dynamics to work you have to actually start GIMP using the graphics tablet and pen - i.e. use the pen like a mouse in windows to double-click the GIMP icon to start the program. This works for me anyway with GIMP V2.8.16 (and 2.8.14 before that)

I thought I had tried that, but I'll give it another shot.

PlasticTopHat
2015-12-30 05:30:38 UTC (about 8 years ago)

I thought I had tried that, but I'll give it another shot.

Okay, I tried opening GIMP with the Tablet pen, but no change.

If the tablet is set to Disabled, it draws like a mouse, and if it's set to Screen or Window, it tries to left click, right click, and middle click at the same time.

Any other ideas?

2015-12-30 20:47:21 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Okay, I tried opening GIMP with the Tablet pen, but no change.

If the tablet is set to Disabled, it draws like a mouse, and if it's set to Screen or Window, it tries to left click, right click, and middle click at the same time.

Any other ideas?

Sorry, no more ideas - I was just reporting what worked for me with a Wacom Volito II and Windows 7. Could it be a driver problem?

PlasticTopHat
2015-12-30 22:59:33 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Sorry, no more ideas - I was just reporting what worked for me with a Wacom Volito II and Windows 7. Could it be a driver problem?

No idea. I installed the drivers from the disc before plugging the tablet in... maybe I should have plugged it in first, but I don't see why.

PlasticTopHat
2015-12-31 04:56:08 UTC (about 8 years ago)

No idea. I installed the drivers from the disc before plugging the tablet in... maybe I should have plugged it in first, but I don't see why.

I found the solution to the problem here:

http://www.robertcina.com/2014/12/22/how-to-get-monoprice-graphics-tablet-pressure-sensitivity-to-work-in-gimp-2-8-on-windows-8/

Apparently, for whatever reason, the 64-bit version of GIMP for Windows does not work properly with pressure sensitivity. The website above provided easy instructions on how to force my 64-bit computer to load the 32-bit version of GIMP, even though the installer wants to automatically load the 64-bit based on what it detects from my computer. Now the pressure sensitivity is working perfectly.

Thanks for your help, though!

2015-12-31 20:46:48 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

I found the solution to the problem here:

http://www.robertcina.com/2014/12/22/how-to-get-monoprice-graphics-tablet-pressure-sensitivity-to-work-in-gimp-2-8-on-windows-8/

Apparently, for whatever reason, the 64-bit version of GIMP for Windows does not work properly with pressure sensitivity. The website above provided easy instructions on how to force my 64-bit computer to load the 32-bit version of GIMP, even though the installer wants to automatically load the 64-bit based on what it detects from my computer. Now the pressure sensitivity is working perfectly.

Thanks for your help, though!

Pleased that you found the answer - so now the pressure's off - or should that be on? :¬)

(Your statement above that the 64-bit version of GIMP for Windows does not work with pressure sensitivity should, perhaps, be qualified to say that this applies to Monoprice tablets - I am running W7 64-bit with a Wacom and have no problems, provided that I start GIMP from the tablet)

Happy New Year

PlasticTopHat
2015-12-31 21:38:34 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Pleased that you found the answer - so now the pressure's off - or should that be on? :¬)

(Your statement above that the 64-bit version of GIMP for Windows does not work with pressure sensitivity should, perhaps, be qualified to say that this applies to Monoprice tablets - I am running W7 64-bit with a Wacom and have no problems, provided that I start GIMP from the tablet)

Happy New Year

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that's probably just with Monoprice tablets.

Happy new year to you, too!