RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

31 of 32 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alex Vergara Gil 21 Dec 14:11
  Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 21 Dec 14:18
   Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Elle Stone 21 Dec 14:44
    Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 21 Dec 14:54
     Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alex Vergara Gil 21 Dec 16:12
      Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Elle Stone 21 Dec 16:30
      Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Partha Bagchi 21 Dec 16:36
       Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alex Vergara Gil 21 Dec 16:44
        CAOW9c=8d-qRjA-oeeHVHgRRa9c... 21 Dec 18:44
         Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alex Vergara Gil 21 Dec 18:36
          Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 JamesB 23 Jan 20:00
           Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Patrick Shanahan 24 Jan 00:26
            Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 24 Jan 07:11
             Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 JamesB 24 Jan 08:26
              Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 JamesB 24 Jan 08:29
             Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Partha Bagchi 24 Jan 12:41
              Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 JamesB 24 Jan 13:09
               Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 24 Jan 18:58
                Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 JamesB 24 Jan 19:01
                 Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Michael Schumacher 24 Jan 19:32
                 Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Patrick Shanahan 24 Jan 19:35
                 Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 24 Jan 21:54
                  Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Kevin Cozens 10 Feb 03:20
               Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Rick Strong 24 Jan 19:52
              Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 24 Jan 22:00
               Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Partha Bagchi 24 Jan 22:43
                Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 31 Jan 12:52
                 Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Partha Bagchi 31 Jan 13:34
                  Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Alexandre Prokoudine 31 Jan 15:19
                   Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Partha Bagchi 31 Jan 23:02
            Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 JamesB 24 Jan 08:31
  Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3 Partha Bagchi 21 Dec 16:34
Alex Vergara Gil
2015-12-21 14:11:02 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hello

One of the greatest things of the new gimp 2.9.3 is the handling of nef files (raw camera images), they even appear in the file format list, great! But in my windows 8 x64 bits with Partha's build it just doesn't open, when trying to do that GIMP says image can't be opened, but i can open the image even on windows photo software (the one that is fullscreen) and it is ok. I dont know if this is a bug of GIMP or something specific to windows so i'll wait until someone else can duplicate this issue.

Regards
Alex

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-21 14:18:39 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Hello

One of the greatest things of the new gimp 2.9.3 is the handling of nef files (raw camera images), they even appear in the file format list, great! But in my windows 8 x64 bits with Partha's build it just doesn't open, when trying to do that GIMP says image can't be opened, but i can open the image even on windows photo software (the one that is fullscreen) and it is ok. I dont know if this is a bug of GIMP or something specific to windows so i'll wait until someone else can duplicate this issue.

Or something specific to the unofficial build that you use on Windows.

Alex

Elle Stone
2015-12-21 14:44:58 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 12/21/2015 09:18 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Hello

Or something specific to the unofficial build that you use on Windows.

Alex

Using default GIMP 2.9.3 updated a couple of days ago on Linux, and opening a CR2 file, the resulting image is the correct size, and only 8-bits, so I'm assuming the raw file is being opened by UFRaw, yes?

Opening a NEF file using GIMP, the resulting image is just a 160px by 120px thumbnail, though the file on disk is 17MB. So NEF doesn't seem to be working through the UFRaw plug-in.

I'm using UFRaw version 0.22, compiled with the GIMP plug-in, FWIW, and in case the UFRaw version makes a difference.

Some GEGL code suggests that there might be raw file support independent of UFRaw (rawload.c). Is this available through GIMP?

Elle

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-21 14:54:17 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Elle Stone wrote:

Using default GIMP 2.9.3 updated a couple of days ago on Linux, and opening a CR2 file, the resulting image is the correct size, and only 8-bits

https://sourceforge.net/p/ufraw/feature-requests/274/

Unsure if this made it to 0.20+ though. And anyway, there have been no installers of UFRaw for Windows for a long time (0.19.2 was the last one, and it was before the aforementiond patch).

Alex

Alex Vergara Gil
2015-12-21 16:12:44 UTC (over 8 years ago)

2015-12-21 9:54 GMT-05:00, Alexandre Prokoudine :

Using default GIMP 2.9.3 updated a couple of days ago on Linux, and opening
a CR2 file, the resulting image is the correct size, and only 8-bits

Unsure if this made it to 0.20+ though. And anyway, there have been no installers of UFRaw for Windows for a long time (0.19.2 was the last one, and it was before the aforementiond patch).

Alex

Yes Elle, thats a bit different error, but still an error. Is there some official suport for NEF files inside GIMP, maybe through GEGL?

Alex

Elle Stone
2015-12-21 16:30:23 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 12/21/2015 11:12 AM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote

Yes Elle, thats a bit different error, but still an error. Is there some official suport for NEF files inside GIMP, maybe through GEGL?

The error to which I was actually referring was the fact that when opening a NEF file, all I get using default GIMP 2.9.3 on Linux is the thumbnail, not the full image.

If you can't open a NEF file using GIMP (on Windows),

and all I get when opening a NEF file using GIMP (on Linux) is a tiny little thumbnail,

then it seems to me that these might be related errors. But of course they might be two entirely separate errors.

Elle

Partha Bagchi
2015-12-21 16:34:12 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hi Alex.

When you select RAW images (with a long list of image formats such as cr2, nef etc.) from the dropdown list and then click on your NEF, does it open UFRaw or not? Let me know otherwise and we'll work to get it fixed for you. You can email me directly or respond there.

Don't rely on the automatic detection since it's a back and forth between GIMP and UFRaw. NEF is based on the TIFF format and hence the confusion.

Thanks,
Partha

PS: Another recommendation I would make is to use RawTherapee to preprocess and then send to GIMP.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Hello

Regards
Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Partha Bagchi
2015-12-21 16:36:44 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Alex

Alex

Yes, there is only for NEF. If you are using my build then select NEF image, it should open a 32-bit floating rendition.

Bottom line as I said below, don't use the automatic detection feature.

Alex Vergara Gil
2015-12-21 16:44:02 UTC (over 8 years ago)

2015-12-21 11:36 GMT-05:00, Partha Bagchi :

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Alex

Alex

Yes, there is only for NEF. If you are using my build then select NEF image, it should open a 32-bit floating rendition.

Bottom line as I said below, don't use the automatic detection feature.

Dear Partha

Thank for your reply, and for your daily builds!, I can confirm both ways: 1. open NEF files with automatic detection yiels an error, gimp cant open image 2. selecting nef file in the list yields an image, but only a tiny little thumbnail, as Elle said before

So this might be a bug, are you handling nef files with some plugin?

Regards Alex

Alex Vergara Gil
2015-12-21 18:36:48 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Dear Partha

2015-12-21 12:19 GMT-05:00, Partha Bagchi :

Alex,

1. Open GIMP 2.9.3
2. Open the File Dialog (File -> Open) 3. From the drop down list, click on raw image ( File type = raw image, Extension = 3fr, ari, arw, cap, cine, cr2, etc.) 4. Open your NEF image.

This will open UFRaw and then do your processing and then open it in GIMP.

Tell me if this does or does not work. I just tested it and it's fine.

You are correct that NEF itself is broken and I'll investigate why.

Thanks, Partha

When trying this procedure indeed, the ufraw soft is launched but it says

TIFF image error Unknown field with tag 36867 (0x9003) encountered

So I think it tries to open it as a TIFF image. Eventhough it still opens the image as thumbnail, very odd.

Regards Alex

2016-01-23 20:00:50 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Dear Partha

2015-12-21 12:19 GMT-05:00, Partha Bagchi : When trying this procedure indeed, the ufraw soft is launched but it says

TIFF image error
Unknown field with tag 36867 (0x9003) encountered

So I think it tries to open it as a TIFF image. Eventhough it still opens the image as thumbnail, very odd.

Regards Alex

Am struggling to use gimp for the past month. Thinking of going back to Photoshop.

Do we expect to have the NEF issue solved once and for all in the near future, since this is ongoing for some time?

Patrick Shanahan
2016-01-24 00:26:16 UTC (about 8 years ago)

* JamesB [01-23-16 19:02]:

Dear Partha

2015-12-21 12:19 GMT-05:00, Partha Bagchi : When trying this procedure indeed, the ufraw soft is launched but it says

TIFF image error
Unknown field with tag 36867 (0x9003) encountered

Regards Alex

Am struggling to use gimp for the past month. Thinking of going back to Photoshop.

Do we expect to have the NEF issue solved once and for all in the near future, since this is ongoing for some time?

There is *not* a "NEF issue" as .nef is a nikon proprietary file which need dcraw or ufraw front end to open and pass to gimp. gimp by itself cannot open a nef file. I don't work on windows, but linux. Partha may have added something to his gimp packages to facilitate opening non-open format files, but to my knowledge, gimp must call an external program to pass nef files to it. gimp is *not* photoshop.

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-24 07:11:44 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

There is *not* a "NEF issue" as .nef is a nikon proprietary file which need dcraw or ufraw front end to open and pass to gimp. gimp by itself cannot open a nef file. I don't work on windows, but linux. Partha may have added something to his gimp packages to facilitate opening non-open format files, but to my knowledge, gimp must call an external program to pass nef files to it. gimp is *not* photoshop.

This not entirely correct. Or, to be more precise, this is entirely incorrect.

Unstable version of GIMP has a plugin that reads/export from/to a number of file formats supported in GEGL. One of them is NEF, which is supposed to be loaded via libraw (not dcraw), but doesn't appear to be loaded properly for some reason.

The stable version of GIMP doesn't have this plugin and, therefore, doesn't have this issue. Therefore, the solution is to stick to the stable version until this is resolved one way or another.

Windows vs. Linux are irrelevant.

Photoshop is irrelevant (ACR is a plugin, just like UFRaw).

Alex

2016-01-24 08:26:56 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

Unstable version of GIMP has a plugin that reads/export from/to a number of file formats supported in GEGL. One of them is NEF, which is supposed to be loaded via libraw (not dcraw), but doesn't appear to be loaded properly for some reason.

The stable version of GIMP doesn't have this plugin and, therefore, doesn't have this issue. Therefore, the solution is to stick to the stable version until this is resolved one way or another.

Alex

soooooo, back to the original question: are we foreseeing an answer to "non-existent" issue?

2016-01-24 08:29:50 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

soooooo, back to the original question: are we foreseeing an answer to "non-existent" issue?

Sorry Alex, my reply was actually to the preceding answer by Patrick Shanahan.

I thank you (Alex) for a constructive input.

2016-01-24 08:31:29 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

* JamesB [01-23-16 19:02]:
There is *not* a "NEF issue" as .nef is a nikon proprietary file which need dcraw or ufraw front end to open and pass to gimp. gimp by itself
cannot open a nef file. I don't work on windows, but linux. Partha may
have added something to his gimp packages to facilitate opening non-open
format files, but to my knowledge, gimp must call an external program to
pass nef files to it. gimp is *not* photoshop.

soooooo, back to the original question: are we foreseeing an answer to "non-existent" issue? Are there any hope for newcomers to GIMP?

Partha Bagchi
2016-01-24 12:41:17 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 2:11 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

I don't think so: Here is Line 62 from the relevant gegl file loader:

command = g_strdup_printf ("dcraw -4 -c '%s'\n", op_raw_load->path);

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2016-01-24 13:09:01 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 2:11 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

are we foreseeing an answer to the issue? Are there any hope for newcomers to GIMP?

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-24 18:58:25 UTC (about 8 years ago)

24 янв. 2016 г. 21:51 пользователь "JamesB" написал:

are we foreseeing an answer to the issue? Are there any hope for

newcomers to

GIMP?

You already know the solution, James: use the stable version.

Alex

2016-01-24 19:01:28 UTC (about 8 years ago)
postings

newcomers to

Alex

am using 2.8.16! any other comments?

Michael Schumacher
2016-01-24 19:32:14 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 01/24/2016 08:01 PM, JamesB wrote:

newcomers to

Then why were you posting in the thread about NEF support (or RAW, in general) for 2.9.x?

You've got UFRaw installed?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Patrick Shanahan
2016-01-24 19:35:57 UTC (about 8 years ago)

* JamesB [01-24-16 14:32]:

newcomers to

Alex

Go get a cold brew or a hot coffee, lower the attitude intensity, and come back in a better mood.

You have been given explanation. Or you could branch the code and add nef support yourself.

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Rick Strong
2016-01-24 19:52:00 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Hi James,

You may not be aware that Nikon provides two FREE programs for working with NEF files.

- ViewNX-i for transferring from your card reader or camera (click "Transfer" icon), among other things. - Capture NX-D for working on exposure compensation, Active-D lighting, etc.

Both programs can export to JPEG, TIFF 8bit and TIFF 16 bit files. This is not the answer you were hoping for, but it is a work-around for now.

I believe (new GIMP user here) that GIMP only opens TFF 8bit files, or converts 16s to 8s, so saving in 8bit TIFF saves any loss in conversion.

I use the two Nikon programs all the time because I found Lightroom to be lousy.

Cheers,
Rick

-----Original Message----- From: JamesB
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2016 8:09 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Can't open nef images in gimp 2.9.3

are we foreseeing an answer to the issue? Are there any hope for newcomers to
GIMP?

JamesB (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-24 21:54:34 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:01 PM, JamesB wrote:

am using 2.8.16!

That's quite unlikely. As mentioned earlier, GIMP 2.8.x simply doesn't have the plugin for loading NEF.

Alex

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-24 22:00:09 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

You are looking at operations/common/dcraw-load.c.

But I'm talking about operations/external/raw-load.c.

Also, installing dcraw doesn't not fix the issue here.

Alex

Partha Bagchi
2016-01-24 22:43:14 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

You are looking at operations/common/dcraw-load.c.

But I'm talking about operations/external/raw-load.c.

I am talking about dcraw-load.c. I have it working by modifying

command = g_strdup_printf ("dcraw -4 -c '%s'\n", op_raw_load->path); to
command = g_strdup_printf ("dcraw -4 -c \"%s\"\n", op_raw_load->path);

I do get buffer overrun and so some of the images are not rendered correctly as I have reported in gegl-developer list.

I don't have libraw installed but have dcraw 9.26.

Alex

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-31 12:52:26 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

command = g_strdup_printf ("dcraw -4 -c '%s'\n", op_raw_load->path); to
command = g_strdup_printf ("dcraw -4 -c \"%s\"\n", op_raw_load->path);

That doesn't fix anything here.

Alex

Partha Bagchi
2016-01-31 13:34:41 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

command = g_strdup_printf ("dcraw -4 -c '%s'\n",

op_raw_load->path);

to
command = g_strdup_printf ("dcraw -4 -c \"%s\"\n",

op_raw_load->path);

Are you using Windows or some other OS?

Alex

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-31 15:19:18 UTC (about 8 years ago)

31 янв. 2016 г. 16:34 пользователь "Partha Bagchi" написал:

Linux

Alex

Partha Bagchi
2016-01-31 23:02:41 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

31 янв. 2016 г. 16:34 пользователь "Partha Bagchi" написал:

Linux

OK. In Windows I had to disable the #ifdef _WIN32 in the beginning and define PIPE_MODE as "rb".

I got it to work in McGimp as well though.

Alex

Kevin Cozens
2016-02-10 03:20:15 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 16-01-24 04:54 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:01 PM, JamesB wrote:

am using 2.8.16!

That's quite unlikely. As mentioned earlier, GIMP 2.8.x simply doesn't have the plugin for loading NEF.

For loading NEF files you need the gimp-dcraw or gimp-ufraw packages installed. On my machine I'm using the dcraw based package.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick