RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Hiding tabs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Hiding tabs Alzarath 14 Dec 05:04
  Hiding tabs Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Dec 23:43
   Hiding tabs Partha Bagchi 16 Dec 01:05
    Hiding tabs Greg Chapman 16 Dec 09:45
     Hiding tabs Alexandre Prokoudine 16 Dec 10:01
      Hiding tabs Kevin Payne 16 Dec 10:58
      Hiding tabs Greg Chapman 16 Dec 11:08
     Hiding tabs Alzarath 16 Dec 16:38
   Hiding tabs Alzarath 16 Dec 03:46
    Hiding tabs Simon Budig 16 Dec 20:32
     Hiding tabs Alzarath 16 Dec 20:36
      Hiding tabs Simon Budig 16 Dec 21:03
       Hiding tabs Alzarath 16 Dec 22:31
     Hiding tabs Elle Stone 16 Dec 20:54
  Hiding tabs Joao S. O. Bueno 16 Dec 10:41
2015-12-14 05:04:29 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Hiding tabs

Is there any way to hide tabs? All of my tabs are immediately visible and it would really help to clear up some of the clutter if I could just hide the tab names (AKA Layers, Tool Options, etc.).

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-15 23:43:35 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Alzarath wrote:

Is there any way to hide tabs? All of my tabs are immediately visible and it would really help to clear up some of the clutter if I could just hide the tab names (AKA Layers, Tool Options, etc.).

Hide -- how? And how would you switch between them?

Alex

Partha Bagchi
2015-12-16 01:05:16 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Alex

Maybe his means - close the tabs?

2015-12-16 03:46:50 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Hiding tabs

Alex

I would expect it to be a global setting that would hide all tabs (These whole sections: http://i.imgur.com/rfIPNAQ.png) that would also un-hide them.

Greg Chapman
2015-12-16 09:45:41 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

Hi,

On 16 Dec 15 01:05 Partha Bagchi said:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Alex

Maybe his means - close the tabs?

Or, as he refers specifically to "tab names" when explaining "hide tabs", he hasn't discovered the "back arrow" (Configure this tab) button and the menu option: Tab style > Option > Icon

Greg Chapman

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-16 10:01:30 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Greg Chapman wrote:

button and the menu option: Tab style > Option > Icon

Which is the default value, no? :)

Alex

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-12-16 10:41:12 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

Just hit the "tab" key.

On 14 December 2015 at 03:04, Alzarath wrote:

-- Alzarath (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Kevin Payne
2015-12-16 10:58:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Greg Chapman wrote:

Alex

No. The default appears to be "Automatic" and hence the text is displayed when there is space to do so.

Kevin

Greg Chapman
2015-12-16 11:08:57 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

Hi Alex,

On 16 Dec 15 10:01 Alexandre Prokoudine said:

Pass! But I have to bow to your greater knowledge.

All I can say, after a number of years using GIMP under Windows and in single window mode, I've no idea what the default on a new install would be.

I can say that now if I add any tabs that are not in my default set, they appear with "icon and text" and it's only those I know I have used before that appear icon only.

Greg Chapman http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Still helping users of KompoZer but using BlueGriffon

2015-12-16 16:38:58 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Hiding tabs

Hi,

On 16 Dec 15 01:05 Partha Bagchi said: Or, as he refers specifically to "tab names" when explaining "hide tabs", he hasn't discovered the "back arrow" (Configure this tab) button and the menu option: Tab style > Option > Icon

Greg Chapman

Sorry, I meant to hide the whole tab area for each tab, including the icon, the name, the tab itself, and the tab configuration arrow.

Just hit the "tab" key.

I don't want to hide the whole interface, just the tabs.

Never been good at vocalizing. Perhaps I could try visualizing a bit. I want to turn this: http://i.imgur.com/nl7UJu6.png

Into something like this: http://i.imgur.com/Kkr3OOA.png

Simon Budig
2015-12-16 20:32:16 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

Alzarath (forums@gimpusers.com) wrote:

I would expect it to be a global setting that would hide all tabs (These whole sections: http://i.imgur.com/rfIPNAQ.png) that would also un-hide them.

But how would that work? When these tabs are not there - how would it be visible that there are other tabs beneath it, and how would you switch to one of the tabs beneath?

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
2015-12-16 20:36:59 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Hiding tabs

Alzarath (forums@gimpusers.com) wrote: But how would that work? When these tabs are not there - how would it be
visible that there are other tabs beneath it, and how would you switch to one of the tabs beneath?

Bye, Simon

Could just hide single tabs and keep regions that have multiple tabs revealed.

Elle Stone
2015-12-16 20:54:04 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

On 12/16/2015 03:32 PM, Simon Budig wrote:

But how would that work? When these tabs are not there - how would it be visible that there are other tabs beneath it, and how would you switch to one of the tabs beneath?

My apologies if I don't understand the real topic of this thread. But I think it's about having the option to not show the image tabs at the top in single window mode.

I don't use single-window mode, and one reason why I don't use single window mode is because the tabs are really big and there's no way to hide them so the image can take up more space vertically. Those tabs result in wasted screen real estate.

If there were a way to hide the tabs, then to switch images, the user would:

1. right-click to bring up the menu bar (assuming the menu bar is not already shown - I hide the menu bar even in multi-window mode to provide more vertical screen real estate)

2. click on the desired image.

Or else use alt-# to switch between image windows.

Best, Elle

Simon Budig
2015-12-16 21:03:30 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hiding tabs

Alzarath (forums@gimpusers.com) wrote:

Alzarath (forums@gimpusers.com) wrote: But how would that work? When these tabs are not there - how would it be visible that there are other tabs beneath it, and how would you switch to one of the tabs beneath?

Could just hide single tabs and keep regions that have multiple tabs revealed.

The Tabs also serve as grabbing area for rearranging the dockables. If they are hidden rearranging the dockables is no longer possible.

It probably is possible to find a solution for all these details, but I'd like to see a consistent proposal that takes the existing functionality into account.

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
2015-12-16 22:31:07 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Hiding tabs

Alzarath (forums@gimpusers.com) wrote: The Tabs also serve as grabbing area for rearranging the dockables. If they are hidden rearranging the dockables is no longer possible.

It probably is possible to find a solution for all these details, but I'd like to see a consistent proposal that takes the existing functionality into account.

Bye, Simon

Like I said, it would most likely be a toggle-able option in the preferences or even in the 'view' menu that could be toggled. Doesn't that seem acceptable?