RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text Tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text Tool mojolee 08 Dec 04:59
  Text Tool Alexandre Prokoudine 09 Dec 17:45
   Text Tool Joao S. O. Bueno 09 Dec 21:25
    Text Tool Alexandre Prokoudine 09 Dec 21:36
     Text Tool mojolee 13 Dec 17:11
2015-12-08 04:59:00 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Text Tool

In the 2.6 version of GIMP, when I wanted to add text to a picture, I just clicked the "Text Tool icon," and in the options part of the toolbox, selected the font style, size, and color and then clicked on the picture and started to add text. In the 2.8 version, now when I click on the picture, after I've already picked what I mentioned before, a little rectangular dialog box, with the same options mentioned before, appears right above where I am trying to insert text. It is irritating and frustrating because I don't want to see it. I want to just see the photo and the text I am trying to type and it's position and so on. If I want to adjust or change anything pertaining to the text, I will do it in the options portion of the toolbox. Is there any way to remove this dialog box? I don't know why the designers decided to include this but I don't like it or need it. Please help, if you can. Thank you.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-09 17:45:11 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Text Tool

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:59 AM, mojolee wrote:

Is there any way to remove this dialog box?

No. At least, not yet.

I don't know why the designers decided to include this

It's helpful and removes the need to go to the sidebar all the time. Everything happens on the canvas.

Alex

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-12-09 21:25:12 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Text Tool

On 9 December 2015 at 15:45, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:59 AM, mojolee wrote:

No. At least, not yet.

Err..actually GIMP 2.8 does have an "Use Editor" checkbox on the text-tool tool-options that does exactly that.

I don't know why the designers decided to include this

It's helpful and removes the need to go to the sidebar all the time. Everything happens on the canvas.

The new on-canvas controls allows one to change style of part of the text - like, coloring some letters differently, or changing font. The old way would only allow a single style for each text layer.

Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-09 21:36:37 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Text Tool

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

No. At least, not yet.

Err..actually GIMP 2.8 does have an "Use Editor" checkbox on the text-tool tool-options that does exactly that.

Actually, it doesn't. Please just try it :)

All it does is create a text editing dialog on top of the canvas where the text toolbar is still present.

Alex

2015-12-13 17:11:38 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Text Tool

Actually, it doesn't. Please just try it :)

All it does is create a text editing dialog on top of the canvas where the text toolbar is still present.

Alex

Thank you Alex. I am starting to get used to it. My GIMP - 2.8 - does have the option to "use editor" but I seldom use it. I was just kind of annoyed at first having the dialog box right there in the way of my view of my image but it's not bothering me as much now. Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate it. I also have to say that I love using GIMP. It is an amazing program! I am still in the process of learning it and I love everything new that I learn and am able to do. Again, thank you!

Lee