RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ai files in gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ai files in gimp Alex Vergara Gil 01 Dec 20:21
  ai files in gimp Pat David 01 Dec 20:40
  ai files in gimp Gez 01 Dec 22:32
   ai files in gimp Alex Vergara Gil 02 Dec 15:01
  ai files in gimp Liam R. E. Quin 03 Dec 05:53
   ai files in gimp Alex Vergara Gil 04 Dec 13:16
Alex Vergara Gil
2015-12-01 20:21:52 UTC (over 8 years ago)

ai files in gimp

Hello!

Is there a way of importing ai files into gimp? I know i canuse them in inkscape but i need to insert some figures in my project, i need them to be very resolutive but converting them to png is not what i expect, results are a disaster. Any hints?

Regards Alex

Pat David
2015-12-01 20:40:11 UTC (over 8 years ago)

ai files in gimp

Why not export figures from GIMP and insert them into your project in Inkscape?

Then you can keep your vector graphics in Inkscape. On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 2:22 PM Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Hello!

Is there a way of importing ai files into gimp? I know i canuse them in inkscape but i need to insert some figures in my project, i need them to be very resolutive but converting them to png is not what i expect, results are a disaster. Any hints?

Regards Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Gez
2015-12-01 22:32:22 UTC (over 8 years ago)

ai files in gimp

El mar, 01-12-2015 a las 15:21 -0500, Alex Vergara Gil escribió:

Hello!

It's not clear what you need to do. Do you need to insert figures into your AI file, or do you need to take some figures from the AI and use them in your GIMP project?

Gimp should be able to import ai files since they are based on PDF (from illustrator 10). If it doesn't, try to rename your file.ai to file.pdf and try again.

Note, however, that importing them into GIMP will result in the rasterization of the vector shapes (turning them into bitmap images). If you want to keep them as vectors, GIMP is not the program you want. Also, if you want to keep the shapes separated from the background, rasterization could be a problem too.

hth,

Gez.

Alex Vergara Gil
2015-12-02 15:01:40 UTC (over 8 years ago)

ai files in gimp

Hello, thanks for your answers, what I need is to take some figures from an ai file and insert them into my gimp project, i am not very familiar with inkscape, i dont get done my things, gimp on the other hand is great for this.

regards Alex

2015-12-01 17:32 GMT-05:00, Gez :

El mar, 01-12-2015 a las 15:21 -0500, Alex Vergara Gil escribió:

Hello!

It's not clear what you need to do. Do you need to insert figures into your AI file, or do you need to take some figures from the AI and use them in your GIMP project?

Gimp should be able to import ai files since they are based on PDF (from illustrator 10). If it doesn't, try to rename your file.ai to file.pdf and try again.

Note, however, that importing them into GIMP will result in the rasterization of the vector shapes (turning them into bitmap images). If you want to keep them as vectors, GIMP is not the program you want. Also, if you want to keep the shapes separated from the background, rasterization could be a problem too.

hth,

Gez.

Liam R. E. Quin
2015-12-03 05:53:36 UTC (over 8 years ago)

ai files in gimp

On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 15:21 -0500, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Hello!

Is there a way of importing ai files into gimp?

I've used inkscape on the commandline (in Linux) to convert ai files to png in the past, and it's worked fairly well as long as I have the right fonts installed.

How were you converting the files to PNG? What problems did you have? Can you share a sample file?

(ignore if you've already solved it all!)

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
Alex Vergara Gil
2015-12-04 13:16:18 UTC (over 8 years ago)

ai files in gimp

Dear Liam
Thats exactly my problem, fonts are not converted properly, even when the same font is installed in my system, it just puts the rendered text without transparency overlapping the enclosure, also enclosures are rendered wrongly (smaller than should be). It seems a conversion problem, but I know going from vector to bitmap is not straightforward. Thats the main reason why i wanted GIMP to handle vector layers, with a final preview and some control from users side about the final conversion.
Regards
Alex

2015-12-03 0:53 GMT-05:00, Liam R. E. Quin :

On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 15:21 -0500, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

Hello!

Is there a way of importing ai files into gimp?

I've used inkscape on the commandline (in Linux) to convert ai files to png in the past, and it's worked fairly well as long as I have the right fonts installed.

How were you converting the files to PNG? What problems did you have? Can you share a sample file?

(ignore if you've already solved it all!)

Liam

-- Liam R. E. Quin