RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How do I move a selection?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How do I move a selection? MrMag00 02 Nov 14:35
  How do I move a selection? programmer_ceds 02 Nov 17:43
2015-11-02 14:35:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I viewed a few tutorials on how to move a selection around in an image but none of them explained things enough for me so I could actually move the selection I'm working with! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Following the tutorial,

I selected the object I wanted to work with, with the Rectangular Selection Tool.

Then, "Cut."

"Paste as"............"New layer." ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, first, the object disappeared when I CUT it. But then when I went "Past as"... "New layer," nothing happened. The selected object didn't appear the way it was shown in the tutorial! So, (of course), I couldn't do anything further. :(

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

2015-11-02 17:43:52 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I viewed a few tutorials on how to move a selection around in an image but none of them explained things enough for me so I could actually move the selection I'm working with! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Following the tutorial,

I selected the object I wanted to work with, with the Rectangular Selection Tool.

Then, "Cut."

"Paste as"............"New layer." ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, first, the object disappeared when I CUT it. But then when I went "Past as"... "New layer," nothing happened. The selected object didn't appear the way it was shown in the tutorial! So, (of course), I couldn't do anything further. :(

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Having pasted the selection as a new layer:

1. Select the layer - left click on it in the layers dialog (it may already be selected - you could try omitting this step) 2. Use the "Move Tool: Move layers, selections and other objects" (a cross icon with arrows at the end of each arm)

Of course you could use Copy rather than Cut if you don't want to leave a hole in the original image

Use "Image/Flatten Image" when you have finished