RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Factory settings/reset to defaults

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Factory settings/reset to defaults Taisheena 28 Oct 02:24
  Factory settings/reset to defaults programmer_ceds 29 Oct 15:15
   Factory settings/reset to defaults programmer_ceds 29 Oct 15:17
   Factory settings/reset to defaults Taisheena 29 Oct 15:21
    Factory settings/reset to defaults Patrick Shanahan 30 Oct 13:31
2015-10-28 02:24:54 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I need to know how to set my GIMP 2.8.14 back to original settings. I tried: reset to defaults and nothing happened.

I have somehow messed up my text settings so that my letters are smashed up, and the size of the text box won't increase. I make a text box, but the text stays in about .25% of the box and starts wrapping.

Also, I closed my toolboxes and I can not figure out how to get them back to the way they were when I downloaded the program.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I apologize if this was already asked, I couldn't find it in the forums.

-tai

ps I have windows 8.1 64 bit

2015-10-29 15:15:43 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I need to know how to set my GIMP 2.8.14 back to original settings. I tried: reset to defaults and nothing happened.

I have somehow messed up my text settings so that my letters are smashed up, and the size of the text box won't increase. I make a text box, but the text stays in about .25% of the box and starts wrapping.

Also, I closed my toolboxes and I can not figure out how to get them back to the way they were when I downloaded the program.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I apologize if this was already asked, I couldn't find it in the forums.

-tai

ps I have windows 8.1 64 bit

I'm not sure but I suspect if you terminate GIMP, take a copy of Users\\.gimp-2.8 (just in case things go wrong) and then delete the contents of that folder. Then when you restart GIMP (hopefully) it should recreate the contents of .gimp-2.8 using the default settings. If it all goes wrong termiate GIMP and restore the original contents of the folder.

Note that you would have to transfer and scripts, plug-ins, brushes etc that you had installed from the back-up folder to the newly created folder (when GIMP isn't running)

2015-10-29 15:17:34 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I'm not sure but I suspect if you terminate GIMP, take a copy of Users\\.gimp-2.8 (just in case things go wrong) and then delete the contents of that folder. Then when you restart GIMP (hopefully) it should recreate the contents of .gimp-2.8 using the default settings. If it all goes wrong termiate GIMP and restore the original contents of the folder.

Note that you would have to transfer and scripts, plug-ins, brushes etc that you had installed from the back-up folder to the newly created folder (when GIMP isn't running)

That should have read Users\user name\.gimp-2.8 (but I put less than and greater than signs around user name and this text didn't appear in the post)

2015-10-29 15:21:36 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I actually uninstalled the program, went in program files and deleted that whole folder - is there some other place that GIMP saves settings to?

Patrick Shanahan
2015-10-30 13:31:34 UTC (over 8 years ago)

* Taisheena [10-30-15 08:51]:

I actually uninstalled the program, went in program files and deleted that whole folder - is there some other place that GIMP saves settings to?

c:\users\\
look of any directory with a name containing "gimp" (remove quotes).

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net