RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Installing plug-ins

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Installing plug-ins Todd Stanich 26 Oct 03:42
  Installing plug-ins Carol Spears 26 Oct 03:51
   Installing plug-ins Carol Spears 26 Oct 07:42
    Installing plug-ins Sven Neumann 26 Oct 15:14
Installing plug-ins Bob Long 26 Oct 04:37
  Installing plug-ins Carol Spears 26 Oct 07:44
  Installing plug-ins Alan Horkan 26 Oct 16:25
Installing plug-ins Bob Long 27 Oct 00:43
Todd Stanich
2004-10-26 03:42:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

I know this is probably a dumb question but I am a newbie to GIMP and I have no idea how to install plugins like this http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/1872584/. Could someone tell me how or let me know where I can find out how to. Thanks

Carol Spears
2004-10-26 03:51:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:42:30PM -0500, Todd Stanich wrote:

I know this is probably a dumb question but I am a newbie to GIMP and I have no idea how to install plugins like this http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/1872584/. Could someone tell me how or let me know where I can find out how to. Thanks

i just downloaded this archive and looked at the contents. the files all end with ".scm" which means they should be gimp script-fus. i am not sure how to install plug-ins on windows, but with linux gimps, you need to type "gimptool --install-script filename.scm" and it will install it into your home gimp directory (~/.gimp-2.2/scripts/ for me).

if you got your gimp from a linux distribution, you might need to install the libgimp-dev package to get this gimptool.

it does other things also, gimptool --help explains some of these other things.

i hope this helps,
carol

Bob Long
2004-10-26 04:37:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 11:51 AM [GMT+1=CET], Carol Spears wrote:

i just downloaded this archive and looked at the contents. the files all end with ".scm" which means they should be gimp script-fus. i am not sure how to install plug-ins on windows,

In my "standard" Windows XP installation, .scm files are in: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts

Just put them there; no installion needed.

Bob Long

[..]

Carol Spears
2004-10-26 07:42:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 06:51:01PM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

i just downloaded this archive and looked at the contents. the files all end with ".scm" which means they should be gimp script-fus. i am not sure how to install plug-ins on windows, but with linux gimps, you need to type "gimptool --install-script filename.scm" and it will install it into your home gimp directory (~/.gimp-2.2/scripts/ for me).

if you got your gimp from a linux distribution, you might need to install the libgimp-dev package to get this gimptool.

it does other things also, gimptool --help explains some of these other things.

actually, i was wrong. the cvs version of gimp is now installing things into ~/.gimp-2.0/ i guess until the plug-ins catch up with the version numbers.

carol

Carol Spears
2004-10-26 07:44:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 12:37:54PM +1000, Bob Long wrote:

i just downloaded this archive and looked at the contents. the files all end with ".scm" which means they should be gimp script-fus. i am not sure how to install plug-ins on windows,

In my "standard" Windows XP installation, .scm files are in: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts

Just put them there; no installion needed.

yeah, linux wants to know it is "executable".

anyone with instructions on how to install plug-ins for mac gimps?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-10-26 15:14:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

actually, i was wrong. the cvs version of gimp is now installing things into ~/.gimp-2.0/ i guess until the plug-ins catch up with the version numbers.

GIMP 2.2 will be using the ~/.gimp-2.2 directory.

Sven

Alan Horkan
2004-10-26 16:25:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Bob Long wrote:

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:37:54 +1000 From: Bob Long
To: GIMPUser
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Installing plug-ins

I must warn that wouldn't recommend that.

You should probably install to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\.gimp-2.0\scripts\

where USERNAME is whatever your user name is.

that way the script is installed for the current user only.

If you are sure you want to install the script for all users of gimp on your computer and you have the necessary adminstartor access there is nothing wrong with doing it as was suggested but I just wouldn't recommend it as the first choice.

- Alan

Bob Long
2004-10-27 00:43:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Installing plug-ins

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 12:25 AM [GMT+1=CET], Alan Horkan wrote:

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:37:54 +1000 From: Bob Long

[..]

I must warn that wouldn't recommend that.

You should probably install to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\.gimp-2.0\scripts\

where USERNAME is whatever your user name is.

that way the script is installed for the current user only.

If you are sure you want to install the script for all users of gimp on your computer and you have the necessary adminstartor access there is nothing wrong with doing it as was suggested but I just wouldn't recommend it as the first choice.

Good point. In my case, it does not matter at all. But good to keep that in mind.

Bob Long