RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adobe Illustrator like Paintbrush?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adobe Illustrator like Paintbrush? Todd Stanich 24 Oct 04:48
  Adobe Illustrator like Paintbrush? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 24 Oct 17:20
   Adobe Illustrator like Paintbrush? Roberto Winter 24 Oct 19:11
Adobe Illustrator like Paintbrush? Asif Lodhi 25 Oct 00:24
  Adobe Illustrator like Paintbrush? Sven Neumann 25 Oct 02:10
Todd Stanich
2004-10-24 04:48:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

In Adobe Illustrator the paintbrush tool will make a line you draw look like it was drawn perfectly and just kind of smoothes the line out. Is there a way I can get this same effect in GIMP? If so how. Thank you, -Todd

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-10-24 17:20:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sunday 24 October 2004 00:48, Todd Stanich wrote:

In Adobe Illustrator the paintbrush tool will make a line you draw look like it was drawn perfectly and just kind of smoothes the line out. Is there a way I can get this same effect in GIMP? If so how. Thank you, -Todd

Not yet drawing ...
But I usually achieve the smoothnes I look for applying some Blur and them sharpnening the drawing back with the Curves tool (using an S shaped curve)

Try playing with this.

JS ->

Roberto Winter
2004-10-24 19:11:31 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi there,

I guess you could use the vector tools to create lines. You can control them very well and get those smooth lines by having them painted afterwards.

Roberto

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:20:12 -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Sunday 24 October 2004 00:48, Todd Stanich wrote:

Not yet drawing ...
But I usually achieve the smoothnes I look for applying some Blur and them sharpnening the drawing back with the Curves tool (using an S shaped curve)

Try playing with this.

JS ->

Asif Lodhi
2004-10-25 00:24:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi

Todd Wrote ............

In Adobe Illustrator the paintbrush tool will make a line you draw look like it was drawn perfectly and just kind of smoothes the line out. Is there a way I can get this same effect in GIMP? If so how. Thank you,

The best tool I have seen so far that draws _PERFECT_ curves, lines, etc. is SodiPodi (freely available from the Internet) - which is a vector tool. Its pencil/brush tools are smoother than Illustrator and better than the equivalent brush tool smoothing options of Flash. You can find the same quality in the calligraphic brush tool of InkScape which is also an open-source tool. With both InkScape and SodiPodi, you can draw _perfect_ vector sketches. I don't know how good I am with the mouse but I use my mouse like a pencil/brush when I am working with SodiPodi brush (or InkScape Calligraphic brush). I have been drawing sketches since childhood and enjoy drawing/painting as a matter of fact. I very strongly suggest that you try SodiPodi as well as the InkScape - you will find both of them better than Illustrator when it comes to smoothening out the curves/lines. I like SodiPodi/InkScape and prefer these tools over Illustrator, etc. in this respect. Both of these tools save your work in SVG format (with few differences?) which can be imported into and exported from most other vector tools such as Illustrator, etc.

You can get smooth curves in Gimp also by using the Path tool - though it's a bit too cumbersome when it comes to sketching. Gimp's Path tool, however, is designed for an entirely different kind of work domain - mainly selections. Converting selections to paths, paths, to selections, etc. If you are an artist, you would find Gimp very good for creating realistic looking pictures.

Another way-out (but crude) technique to achieve what you want using Gimp would be to draw with a very small-round and slightly feathered brush the curves you want to draw on a white background with another color such as black, select the white background with Fuzzy Select (Magic Wand?) tool, invert the selection just formed by selecting Select/Invert from the menu and then converting the selection to path. Now you can adjust and smooth curve the way you want :)

Best

Asif

Sven Neumann
2004-10-25 02:10:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Asif Lodhi writes:

You can get smooth curves in Gimp also by using the Path tool - though it's a bit too cumbersome when it comes to sketching.

You can also import the paths you've drawn in Inkscape or Sodipodi and have them stroked in GIMP. GIMP 2.0 imports paths from SVG files.

Sveb