RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Removing a vertical strip

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Removing a vertical strip Timothy Murphy 21 Sep 23:11
  Removing a vertical strip Ross Martinek 22 Sep 01:08
  Removing a vertical strip Liam R E Quin 22 Sep 02:32
  Removing a vertical strip Owen Cook 22 Sep 05:27
  Removing a vertical strip Akkana Peck 22 Sep 17:57
Timothy Murphy
2015-09-21 23:11:12 UTC (over 8 years ago)

I'm a complete gimp newbie -
I installed it on my Fedora-22/KDE laptop yesterday.

I want to remove a vertical strip from a photo, and join the remaining two parts together. I'd be very grateful if some kind soul could tell me how to do this.

I assume I should be using the guillotine tool. I have looked at the basic tutorials, but have not seen any explicit examples of doing what I need.

I did look briefly at the slice plugin, but could not see how to download and install it on my laptop.

Timothy Murphy  
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin
Ross Martinek
2015-09-22 01:08:44 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Could you post the image? What file format, layers, etc?

Ross

On Sep 21, 2015, at 6:11 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

I'm a complete gimp newbie -
I installed it on my Fedora-22/KDE laptop yesterday.

I want to remove a vertical strip from a photo, and join the remaining two parts together. I'd be very grateful if some kind soul could tell me how to do this.

I assume I should be using the guillotine tool. I have looked at the basic tutorials, but have not seen any explicit examples of doing what I need.

I did look briefly at the slice plugin, but could not see how to download and install it on my laptop.

-- Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Liam R E Quin
2015-09-22 02:32:25 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:11:12 +0100 Timothy Murphy wrote:

I want to remove a vertical strip from a photo, and join the remaining two parts together.

Here's one way.

(1) use the rectangle select tool to select the strip to remove and everything to the right of it.

(2) press control-shift-l to "float" the selection (or use select->float)

(3) use the move tool (looks like four arrows moving away, or press "m") and press the left arrow and/or shift-left-arrow, or drag the selected area - press mouse, press control, drag, to constrain it to be only horizontal and not diagonal.

(4) click outside the selected area (pointer changes to an anchor when outside) to glue the rectangular flap back down.

(5) if it's all good, use the crop tool to get rid of the right-hand blank part.

(6) use file->export to make a new PNG or JPEG image (or whatever) saving the result.

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Owen Cook
2015-09-22 05:27:01 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 9:11 AM From: "Timothy Murphy"
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Removing a vertical strip

I'm a complete gimp newbie - I installed it on my Fedora-22/KDE laptop yesterday.

You dont say how wide the strip is.

If a very narrow strip, line width say, it may be appropriate to use the clone tool and clone the adjacent area

If it is a wide strip, you may wish to use the rectangle select tool.
a. Select say the left hand area, note the size of the rectangle fo later b. Copy (ctrl+c) and paste as a new layer c. Now select the right hand area, copy and paste as another new layer

Use your layers dialog to join the two layers

Perhaps use the smudge tool to even out the discontinuity of the join

Owen

Akkana Peck
2015-09-22 17:57:59 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Timothy Murphy writes:

I'm guessing by "remove a vertical strip", you mean that you want that part gone and the resulting image narrower by the width of the strip. That's something I need to do every now and then in GIMP, and the way to do it isn't all that obvious.

Probably the simplest way is this (still quite a few steps):

1. Make a rectangular selection of the part of the image to the right of your strip. In other words, the selection should go from the rightmost part of the strip you want to delete to the right edge of the image; and from the top of the image to the bottom of it.

2. Edit->Cut.

3. Get rid of your selection: Select->None.

4. Paste the part you cut: Edit->Paste.

5. Drag the bit you just pasted until it's where you want it: the left edge of the pasted part will match the left edge of the strip you wanted to remove.

While you're dragging it can be fiddly to keep the top and bottom edges even with the image. View->Snap to Canvas Edges helps with that.

6. When you're happy with where the pasted layer is, Layer->Anchor layer.

7. Image->Zealous crop. (Or Image->Autocrop if you have transparency.)

That's a lot of steps for a simple operation, and since I've needed it quite a few times, I wrote a Python plug-in to automate it: https://github.com/akkana/gimp-plugins/blob/master/cutout.py

With the plug-in, you make a selection of the horizontal or vertical slice you want to cut out: of course, the selection must either span the whole height or the whole width of the image. Then run: Filters->Distorts->Cut out selected band.

If you download cutout.py, on that github page you'll need to click on "Raw" first and download that. Then follow the instructions on one of these pages (whichever one you prefer) to install the plug-in: http://blog.meetthegimp.org/how-to-install-python-plugins-under-gimp/ http://registry.gimp.org/node/24703

...Akkana