RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can I configure my mouse to....

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can I configure my mouse to.... Richard 12 Sep 01:54
  Can I configure my mouse to.... Oon-Ee Ng 12 Sep 02:33
   Can I configure my mouse to.... Richard 13 Sep 02:04
    Can I configure my mouse to.... Oon-Ee Ng 14 Sep 03:45
     Can I configure my mouse to.... Richard 16 Sep 00:49
     Can I configure my mouse to.... Richard 17 Sep 02:50
      Can I configure my mouse to.... programmer_ceds 17 Sep 09:00
Richard
2015-09-12 01:54:55 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Well, actually it's a trackball -- I'm running GIMP on a laptop and can't afford the space for a mouse pad. But trackballs have one serious limitation in GIMP compared to mice:

No scroll wheel.

:(

My trackball does, however, have four buttons. Can I configure my GIMP to respond to buttons 3 and 4 like it does when you mousewheel by a notch?

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Oon-Ee Ng
2015-09-12 02:33:47 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Fairly trivial to configure the trackball buttons to do that system-wide on Linux. Of course, you don't specify what OS you're using.

In terms of gimp-specific, I'm not really sure.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Richard wrote:

Well, actually it's a trackball -- I'm running GIMP on a laptop and can't afford the space for a mouse pad. But trackballs have one serious limitation in GIMP compared to mice:

No scroll wheel.

:(

My trackball does, however, have four buttons. Can I configure my GIMP to respond to buttons 3 and 4 like it does when you mousewheel by a notch?

--------------------

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Richard
2015-09-13 02:04:41 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:33:47 +0800 Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Can I configure my mouse to.... From: ngoonee.talk@gmail.com
To: strata_ranger@hotmail.com
CC: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

Of course, you don't specify what OS you're using.

Oops, yes I did forget to mention that -- running on a Windows platform whose default mouse driver historically does NOT allow you to reconfigure any buttons (beyond general handedness).

--------------------

Oon-Ee Ng
2015-09-14 03:45:49 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Oops, yes I did forget to mention that -- running on a Windows platform whose default mouse driver historically does NOT allow you to reconfigure any buttons (beyond general handedness).

On Windows, at least for Logitech mice, there's a Logitech utility which allows button remapping. Not sure whether it works in the more general case. A quick google search would answer that I'm sure.

Richard
2015-09-16 00:49:17 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:45:49 +0800 Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Can I configure my mouse to.... From: ngoonee.talk@gmail.com

On Windows, at least for Logitech mice, there's a Logitech utility which allows button remapping. Not sure whether it works in the more general case. A quick google search would answer that I'm sure.

Yes, it does. Logitech has "SetPoint" while Microsoft has "IntelliMouse", both reputedly have an expanded selection of functions for extra buttons. X-Mouse is also available.

Testing SetPoint, unfortunately I cannot simply map button 3 to "scroll down" and button 4 to "scroll up" -- the closest it offers is two autoscrolling options (with subtle differences between them). The only complaint here is that both autoscroll modes are toggles and not modifiers.

On an aside, turns out I absolutely never use button 4....

--------------------

Richard
2015-09-17 02:50:14 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:45:49 +0800 Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Can I configure my mouse to.... From: ngoonee.talk@gmail.com

Just a quick update on my testing with Logitech SetPoint:

- I configured button 3 for "Universal scroll". When I click button 3, moving the trackball up or down causes scrolling in that direction. Unfortunately it is a toggle not a modifier, but I can work with that. - There is also "AutoScroll", in which I can click the button and an anchor cursor appears at the mouse location; moving the mouse relative to the anchor causes scrolling in that direction.

The former scrolling behavior is more intuitive for me personally, however, it doesn't work in all Windows apps (GIMP, Inkscape, and Firefox alike).

Looks like XMouse is the next thing on my test list....

--------------------

2015-09-17 09:00:54 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Just a quick update on my testing with Logitech SetPoint:

- I configured button 3 for "Universal scroll". When I click button 3, moving the trackball up or down causes scrolling in that direction. Unfortunately it is a toggle not a modifier, but I can work with that. - There is also "AutoScroll", in which I can click the button and an anchor cursor appears at the mouse location; moving the mouse relative to the anchor causes scrolling in that direction.

The former scrolling behavior is more intuitive for me personally, however, it doesn't work in all Windows apps (GIMP, Inkscape, and Firefox alike).

Looks like XMouse is the next thing on my test list....

--------------------

On Windows I use X-Mouse Button Control - this allows you to configure the mouse actions on a program by program basis - including, if you wish, applying keyboard command sequences to the buttons (as an example I used this to make give scroll horizontally using the tilt wheel)

You can also set the default mouse actions for any programs that you have not specifically configured the program for - its a really useful piece of code.